Treating Depression

Sativica

Hi, has anyone here been treated for depression with cannabis? If so, how well does it work in getting rid of the negative thinking? I use it :passitleft: but I seem to stay depressed.

Yeah, I think when I smoke I am less aware of the negative thinking. Smoking regularly seems to bring up my mood.

I actually found for many years that smoking does make me more depressed in some ways. It took half a lifetime to find out that this is an effect that Indica strains have on me. When I smoke indica I experience a lot of confusion, forgetfulness, and paranoia, which eventually subsides a bit, but as the high wears off I feel very cloudy and impaired. I think way too much, and beat up on myself mentally for feeling anxious and stupid. The next day I feel cloudy, and always have the urge to smoke again to try to 'wake up' - then the same old cycle begins again.
All I smoke now is pure sativas. I think I won't touch indica strains or indica/sativa crosses ever again.
I haven't tried all sativas by any means, but my favorite strains so far are the Thai ones. It makes me feel energized, awake, and happy. If there's any problem at all it's that I want to stay awake all night being busy. I don't have any paranoia or feeling of impaired functioning. I also feel no hangover or cloudiness the next day.
I'm not saying that this will be your experience, but it is important to note the differences between sativa and indica. Also- edibles can give you a much different high than smoking. As can vaping.
Here's another tip which I haven't tried or looked into much but was told about by a friend on this forum. It sounds a bit strange but from the little bit of googling I did appears to be a legitimate method. Apparently eating black pepper, or sniffing it, previous to medicating works amazingly well at relieving anxiety. Google that. :thumb:
Hope this helps. Good luck.

I think it really depends on how severe your depression is and probably tons of other conditions.

If everything else failed, definitely give it a try. I know how debilitating side effects from prescriptions antidepressants can be and how hard it is to go through every day with severe depression.

Each and every day is difficult with depression and I have been getting E.C.T. or electro convulsive therapy to the temple. Smoking is a much more acceptable solution.

Ive been dealing with depression since I was a kid... No matter how hard I try it seems like I always find myself thinking 'I hate life' or 'whats the point' or 'I cant wait till this ride is over'... When I can afford to smoke like I should I find myself having more pleasant days in general... I dont have to motivate myself for 20 minutes to go out and play with my dog on a beautiful day, or Ill find myself taking pleasure in things like watching nature, which is something Ive always loved but when my Ehlers Danlos progressed it kept getting harder to get out for a short hike or whatever... I finally got my ex. tube in the mail so hopefully ill be able to have a week or two of solid medicating... and not like getting stupid all day, Im not sure if its because I take methadone or what but my tolerance is stupid high now days which makes it hard to get releif from flower.

I actually found for many years that smoking does make me more depressed in some ways. It took half a lifetime to find out that this is an effect that Indica strains have on me. When I smoke indica I experience a lot of confusion, forgetfulness, and paranoia, which eventually subsides a bit, but as the high wears off I feel very cloudy and impaired. I think way too much, and beat up on myself mentally for feeling anxious and stupid. The next day I feel cloudy, and always have the urge to smoke again to try to 'wake up' - then the same old cycle begins again.
All I smoke now is pure sativas. I think I won't touch indica strains or indica/sativa crosses ever again.
I haven't tried all sativas by any means, but my favorite strains so far are the Thai ones. It makes me feel energized, awake, and happy. If there's any problem at all it's that I want to stay awake all night being busy. I don't have any paranoia or feeling of impaired functioning. I also feel no hangover or cloudiness the next day.
I'm not saying that this will be your experience, but it is important to note the differences between sativa and indica. Also- edibles can give you a much different high than smoking. As can vaping.
Here's another tip which I haven't tried or looked into much but was told about by a friend on this forum. It sounds a bit strange but from the little bit of googling I did appears to be a legitimate method. Apparently eating black pepper, or sniffing it, previous to medicating works amazingly well at relieving anxiety. Google that. :thumb:

The CBD's and CBN's in Indica plants are much much higher than in Sativas. Sativas have virtually NO CBD's or CBN's. Indicas put you down when you smoke them. Sativas just let you SOAR!

I take Paxil currently but the depression can still get to me. So I smoke weed and it's markedly improved.

So what strain is best for depression? One that wont make you paranoid? Any help is appreciated, plus it has to be able to be an indoor strain, thanks.

You'd have to try different strains to see how they effect you. IMO everyone experiences a weed high differently. I personally would prefer a sativa cerebral high to relieve stress and improve my depression.

I have anorexia as well so I don't want to end up with the munchies. Most sativas give me a speedier high so I'm not craving food. Indicas with their CBN's stimulate appetite. So it's back to sativas.

When I smoke most indicas I get drowsy and my stomach rumbles. I also forget a lot because of the sedative effect from the CBN's.

I'd suggest you start documenting how each strain effects you. I remember being paranoid many times because I got roasted! I make sure I limit how much I smoke now.

You'd have to try different strains to see how they effect you. IMO everyone experiences a weed high differently. I personally would prefer a sativa cerebral high to relieve stress and improve my depression.

I have anorexia as well so I don't want to end up with the munchies. Most sativas give me a speedier high so I'm not craving food. Indicas with their CBN's stimulate appetite. So it's back to sativas.

When I smoke most indicas I get drowsy and my stomach rumbles. I also forget a lot because of the sedative effect from the CBN's.

I'd suggest you start documenting how each strain effects you. I remember being paranoid many times because I got roasted! I make sure I limit how much I smoke now.

There are just so many to honestly pick from, it isnt a bad thing, trying them all that is... was kinda looking for a short list, maybe leafy has it... but sometimes getting the info right from the patient is better... thanks for the input!

Here are a couple pure sativas I grow and love. They make me feel happy and functional. Indica strains make me feel worried and stupid, and hungry, and eventually depressed.
Malawi, by Ace Breeders, which is also known as Malawi Gold. It's quite strong and in higher doses makes a person feel a little too busy and it's harder to focus. Treat with caution.
In smaller- medium amounts it gives an amazing trippy glow, makes me busy but focused, and also keeps me totally functional so I can multitask just fine, and deal with social situations well too.
The high lasts a few hours but after that doesn't keep me up at night- I sleep much better after smoking Malawi actually.

Another one I grow is Mama Thai- a pure sativa from Thailand. The breeder is Seedsman.
It's not as strong as the Malawi. Gives a nice happy trippy high as well. Keeps me up a night a bit more so I tend to smoke it more when I... want to stay up. :thumb:
Both those strains are probably available from Herbies.

The general rule for dosing is sativas for depression and indicas for anxiety. It's pretty important to get the distinction right because the other way around will only compound the symptoms.

I don't deal with depression, but my daughter does. She also has a severe anxiety disorder, so we're treating both anxiety and depression. In her case we've seen tremendous benefit with Med GOM 1.0 from CBD Crew at a 2:1 CBD:THC ratio. I also grew a CBD Critical Cure from Barney's (1:1 ratio, potentially up to 2:1) and I make her capsules with it that are potentiated with coconut oil and liquid sunflower lecithin and she takes four a day. No depression, no anxiety (for the first time in her 34 years), no more migraines and an elimination of various aches and pains she's dealt with for years. Just this week she realized this therapy had begun to overcome the chronic sinus infection that's dogged her for over a decade.

If you're treating both I'd look for something along the lines of the Med GOM 1.0. Dinafem markets one named Industrial Plant. Both of these are autos, and I suggest them not only because we've had such success with the one, but because a good auto strain can get you a quick harvest while you grow a photo, or it can replace the photos and be easier to grow with a faster timeline.

Best of luck in your search.

This is very true I've smoked for years to help my anxiety/depression and for the first while I thought I needed to get stoned everyday to "wake up" or get over these anxious highs I got. Turns out I actually ended up smoke TO MUCH! Make sure to skip a day of smoking each week and if you get more depressed unmotivated ect try a hard sativa. Like weasel said no cloudy effect the next day either :)

I smoke every weed I can lay my hands on, as often and as much as I can :)

:rofl: Spoken like a true member of our little virtual paradise. :battingeyelashes:

This is very true I've smoked for years to help my anxiety/depression and for the first while I thought I needed to get stoned everyday to "wake up" or get over these anxious highs I got. Turns out I actually ended up smoke TO MUCH! Make sure to skip a day of smoking each week and if you get more depressed unmotivated ect try a hard sativa. Like weasel said no cloudy effect the next day either :)

I've gone through the sensitization protocol and I understand the principle behind the "herbal holiday", in fact I recommend it all the time, but I can't make myself skip a day. I don't deal with depression, but I'd probably consider switching between strains before I'd consider taking a day off.

Does anyone else have any success with either taking that day off or, alternatively, toggling between strains, and if so, would you be willing to share your thoughts with us? The more information we share the better we can refine the process.

Back
Top Bottom