Decarbing

Gordonb

Hi,
I have made a few batches of oil now, I have recently been learning of decarboxylating the weed.
Is it better to decarb the plant or wait and do it to the oil?

Based on studies done by the Department of Pharmacy, University of Siena, Italy and Plant Metabolomics group, Institute of Biology, Leiden University, The Netherland, preheating the plant material at 145C/293C for 30 minutes severely reduces the plant's terpene profile. The research team does not recommend preheating.

Hwever, depending on the oil's intended use, if you wish full synergistic effect of THC, CBD and terpenes, a low-slow heating method is advised by the researchers. If you are only interested in the THC effect, then you oven decarb.

You can come to your own conclusion by reading the research notes and charts in PDF @

That temperature for that long would kill off the THC; however 250*F for 27 minutes works very well for me.

Just don't trust oven thermostats; verify the proper temperature is being hit.

That temperature for that long would kill off the THC; however 250*F for 27 minutes works very well for me.

Just don't trust oven thermostats; verify the proper temperature is being hit.

This is also what I do, and good point. My oven runs hot, so I go 200-225 on the dial, for 225-250 actual temp, for 25 minutes. Same thing really.

I saw a youtube video where a guy de-carbed his weed in Qt jars,6 or 8 at a pop.. has anyone tried that way? He used a thermomitor sp ? that used a cord afair as to get the reading from inside the jar... Pretty impressive..any thoughts? Red

Unless you analyze your product in a lab before and after you will get a lot of different methods and opinions. There are a bunch of threads on decarbing.

I look some more ??? Well I did and i think your temp and timeimg is great,When I tried the 350 degrees It was way to hot.as soon as i saw the jars smoking I knew ..... Hey, you live and learn.....

Why that hot?

decarb_graph_zps33f82670.jpg

Hey LR Thanks for the graph.I just saw a video on youtube and this guy was doing his in glass qt jars as I do and it seemed he knew his stuff....I even got a thermometer hoping to do it right. .....Anyway 350 is way to hot ... seems 250 is the agreed temp and that is what I plan on using....Now once its de carbed ..?? I thought I might use it as tea or even like Copenhagen but it seems lacking..I have only used the top inch or so of a qt jar.Mabey the top got too hot and lost it buzz.the top 2 inches does have a different color.....or just use dry ice and get the keif and try that for tea? Any thoughts?

Well I watched a clip on youtube and this guy seemed to know his stuff......he used glass qt jars as I do and its sounded good.......So now i know 350 is way to hot.It was smoking to the point of a barrel flash !! I really thought they could go once I opened the oven and fresh air rushed in. Seems that 250 is the agreed temp and thats what I plan on using.It seems that the top 2 inches of weed in the jars is a lighter color. I tried some as tea and even like a chew but it was lacking...I'm hoping that its just the top that got "smoked" and the lower I go the better it will be...I am a hopeless optimist. any thoughts? Red

I decarb using a similar method and a electric toaster oven.

I do a half pound at a time using four regular size mason jars, a electric toaster oven and the most important piece of equipment of all

A DIGITAL THERMOMETER that reads both the oven temp. and the food temp.

I have drilled a hole in the center of one of the mason jar lids just big enough to slide the thermometer probe into so i can read the internal temperature of my plant material. I fill the four jars, crank the toaster oven all the way up and wait about two minutes for it to fully heat up. Then i put the mason jars into the oven, close the oven door but not completely leaving it open about a half inch at the top. I adjust the oven to just under 220 degrees Fahrenheit on the dial and then just watch the thermometer. The oven temp. starts at around 360 degrees and the food temp at around 90 degrees, as the oven temp drops the food temp rises, one degree down and one degree up. After about ten minutes both temps are now at 220 degrees and i start my timer for thirty minutes. Both temps really never fluctuate more than 3 degrees either way during the thirty minutes, and when it's done the plant material is just lightly toasted all the way through.

This is what I have come up with after a shit ton of reading and reading and reading and reading and more reading and it's all that reading that helped to save my sisters life!

Thank you to everyone who posts their personal experiences and results,
and not just their opinions on shit they have never done...

Based on studies done by the Department of Pharmacy, University of Siena, Italy and Plant Metabolomics group, Institute of Biology, Leiden University, The Netherland, preheating the plant material at 145C/293C for 30 minutes severely reduces the plant's terpene profile. The research team does not recommend preheating.

Hwever, depending on the oil's intended use, if you wish full synergistic effect of THC, CBD and terpenes, a low-slow heating method is advised by the researchers. If you are only interested in the THC effect, then you oven decarb.

You can come to your own conclusion by reading the research notes and charts in PDF @
Homepage

Although this is rather an old post, I really liked your response and it covers both sides of the coin so to speak in regards to decarbing with cannabis. I figure a lot of people would prefer the effect over the benefit as they can always just take more in that case so that they can both enjoy the Marijuana, while still receiving some of the benefits of it as well. Best of both worlds!

Back
Top Bottom