Oil Vs Concentrate Vs Butter

daddyherb

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here, and I'm not actually a medical cannabis user, but my wife and I are venturing down this path to treat our 7-year old daughter. I've scoured through post after post, and recipe after recipe, and I'm looking for some help.

First, a bit about my daughter. She is autistic, and also has epilepsy - with myoclonic and absent seizures. Before we started treating her, she would have upwards of 50 small seizures in a single day. We aren't sure what causes the biggest impact on her learning/ developmental delays - her autism or her seizures... She is non-verbal, and very delayed in several areas of her development, mostly communication, and self-care.

Now, on to the medical cannabis questions. We were given an opportunity to participate in a CBD trial at a local Children's Hospital for about a year, and my daughter was Seizure Free after a year on lab-developed CBD oil. Unfortunately, that study ended, and we were left high-and-dry by big pharma. Gotta love it. We navigated through all the red-tape, and finally got our medical marijuana cards about two months ago in our state (New Jersey), so we are now trying to sort through what dosing/ strains, etc work best, and it's ALOT of information to sort through.

For the first month, the girl at the dispensary gave me two strains to try. An extract with a 10:1 ration of THC:CBD CO2 Extraction (Oil Concentrate). We dosed this initially at a grain of rice size dose, and all she wanted to do was sleep (think this was an Indica strain). We eventually watered down the concentrate with some MCT oil, and cut the dose around 1/2, and it seemed to settle down her sleepiness a bit, but she was very spacey (inattentive in her therapy sessions).

The other strain was a hybrid Sativa & Indica which was .551% THC and 11.7% CBD. This one came in buds, and I used a Magical Butter machine to turn it into an oil using MCT oil. This doesn't seem to do anything except make her very aggressive and angry. We thought this would be the best since it's closest to the drug study from the past.

Now I want to try something different, and make two types of "hybrid" oils. I've got a full ounce of the strain which is primarily CBD, a 1/4 ounce of an Indica strain, and a 1/4 ounce of a Sativa strain. I want to make one day medicine and one nighttime medicine. The day would be 1/2 oz. the CBD strain and 1/4 Oz. of the Sativa strain. The night would be 1/2 oz. of the CBD strain and 1/4 oz. of the Indica strain.

Initially, I was just going to add 1 cup of coconut oil (we try to keep her on a ketogenic diet), with 3/4 oz. of buds into the Magic Butter machine (after decarbing in the oven), and run it at 130 degrees for 2 hours, but I came onto the 420 boards to get some more information to make sure I'm not doing something wrong with this $320 worth of medicine that I bought from the dispensary, and I'm seeing all kinds of different methods/ dosages/ recipes.

Here's my ultimate question. Should I use the Magic Butter machine with buds (un-decarbed in the oven), and follow this recipe to make a concentrate with Everclear? Magical Butter 2 Review - Making Concentrated Cannabis Oil with MB2 Machine

Or would I be better to just do what the lady in the dispensary told me, and decarb the cannibas in the oven, then combine it with a cup of coconut oil in the Magical Butter Machine, and make an oil out of it?

I could also make a butter out of it..?? Which is most potent? What kind of dosing would be recommended for a 7 year old girl? Any help/ advice would be much appreciated! Before referring me to other posts, please note that I've read through several other posts, countless other comments, and it has actually gotten a little overwhelming. I need to get this right as it's for a little girl. Thanks for your time/ help/ understanding.

Have little experience but a few lab skills and some enthusiasm. :)

Just did my first ethanol extraction of some good quality home grown white widow. Recipe and "effect test" on my current grow journal if you want to have a look.

Simple, though i have an advantage in having good quality, safe equip and AR grade ethanol available.

The tincture thing was easy, and i reckon would be one where you could get consistent dosage easily IF you have consistency of raw materials.

Also, dosage by the drop. Doesn't have to be under the tongue. Could be into a drink they like so that's easy too.

Will be an interesting adventure for me. My Mum has chronic pain that she is under treatment for, but has not many options left to manage conventionally. She is considering cannabis and i think a tincture (couple of drops in a glass of wine of an evening?) will be the go for her to try it.

anyhow, thats my 2c worth. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom