How to make CBD & THC oil?

Cmoon

Hi,

After ruining most of my weed after burning it I have managed to dry my last plant and now have 3oz (90g) of dried, ground and decarboxylated bud. I want to make an oil based ticture something similar to the CBD oils you can buy online but much stronger and with THC in it too and without using solvents. (today I hear you can buy CBD oils from Holland & Barrett)

I've read about making cannabutter, Rick Simpson Oil and other edibles and my weed is now decarbed so has anyone got any views on how to proceed from here?

Many thanks

Cmoon

My 2c worth? If you have decarbed weed.....

Butter is easy and effective. Best done with a slow cooker. I have had good results with chopped up (not powdered) weed, 6 hours in the slow cooker method.

Make brownies with it. :)

Have also had good results lately with alcohol extraction. I reckon the tincture produced is great. A bit under the tongue, or some in a coffee works well for me.

Cheers for that. I do have some everclear 190 proof so I might go down this route as it does seem to be an excellent method for making tinctures. My only reason for not using butter is that I have 'Hyperlipidaemia' or raised cholesterol levels, and I mean Raised! I believe the American system aims to keep cholesterol figures below 200mg/dL and that 240mg/dL is considered high. My body makes it's own cholesterol, unlike most where the pipids come from foods we eat and my choesterol was over 1,200mg/dL. Yup over one thousand two hundred mg/dL.

So that's why I don't eat butter no more!

With respect..............Always,

Cmoon

That light at the end of the tunnel?...........It's a train!

My 2c worth? If you have decarbed weed.....

Butter is easy and effective. Best done with a slow cooker. I have had good results with chopped up (not powdered) weed, 6 hours in the slow cooker method.

Make brownies with it. :)

Have also had good results lately with alcohol extraction. I reckon the tincture produced is great. A bit under the tongue, or some in a coffee works well for me.

How do you safely boil off the everclear?

"How do you safely boil off the everclear?"

Carefully, outside, in a well ventilated area, NO NAKED FLAMES!!

I use an electric hotplate, and a couple of pyrex beakers ( jar and saucepan will do though ) in a "double boiler" setup.

Saucepan on the hotplate, water in saucepan, jar of nice green alcohol in the water. Make sure the jar cant tip over as the alcohol evaporates.

Heat that would normally boil the water gets transferred into the alcohol and it evaporates. Temp should not go much over 80 degrees C until the level of the alcohol drops a lot and then the water will start to boil off. Monitor it though.

Below is the procedure i used on my most recent attempt:

Current run:12/02/18
Total 66g. 16g buds, rest is a mix of older buds and leaf (50g)
Decarbed 120 degrees / 1hour
Chopped and into Ethanol 8/02/18. 2 bottles 33g / 300ml ethanol.
In fridge @ 4 degrees in dark. Shake often as poss.
Pour off ethanol. Filtered through Whatman #1
Do second 4hr extractionrun on same material.
Wound up with about 1l of green ethanol in a 2l pyrex beaker.
Set up hotplate in the fume hood with a 4l pyrex beaker with water in it.
Place 1l beaker inside this in the water and run hotplate on max.
Evaped off the ethanol to about 100ml in 2.5 hrs.
Dispense to 6 x 25ml dropper bottles.

Wash glassware with 60ml clean ethanol
And divide equally between the 6 dropper bottles.

Anyhow, that's what i do. 1/2 a dropper of the above and i am a happy person who should not drive for some 3 hours or so....at least. :)

Lots of different methods out there, but provided you keep the health and safety aspects of evaporating a solvent in mind (and its pretty much common sense) this one is easy.

I have looked into other solvents. Keep coming back to alcohol as its extraction efficiency is ok, and does not have residual nasties left over when evaporated down to concentrate, and is much safer than chloroform or pet ether. Just ensure you alcohol has minimal containment levels of things like benzene, methanol, toluene...

If you are using everclear (not available here) i reckon you'll be ok as i believe that is food grade.

Have fun!

Hiya Philthegreek......Antipodes huh, I like that, hehe,

I think that is my main problem, my kind of mental block that I will end up with a load of residual nasties as you say. I here of people using 'lab grade' isopropyl alcohol and I wonder about the crap left behind. (just what does 'lab grade' mean exactly?).

Appreciate your input mate, thanks.

Respect as Always

Cmoon

Hi all:

You don't need to use heat to get rid of the everclear if you just want "goo": I decarb my bud in my Ardent Nova, then cover it in Everclear 190 proof and store in freezer until I feel like straining it. Sometimes I leave all the bud in there and just pull droppers of tincture from the big jar.

After I strained one of the tinctures I made, I decided to make goo, so I put the tincture in a baking pan, covered with cheesecloth (to keep dust out), put the fan blowing over it in a cold bathroom with the window open so fumes could escape.

It evaporated very quickly and I was left with goo that I can just put under my tongue and get a very nice buzz from, not to mention the CBD in it.

My goal is to make all medicines with the absolute least amount of heat so as to preserve all the good terpenes. Plus I don't want to set my kitchen on fire...

"How do you safely boil off the everclear?"

Carefully, outside, in a well ventilated area, NO NAKED FLAMES!!

I use an electric hotplate, and a couple of pyrex beakers ( jar and saucepan will do though ) in a "double boiler" setup.

Saucepan on the hotplate, water in saucepan, jar of nice green alcohol in the water. Make sure the jar cant tip over as the alcohol evaporates.

Heat that would normally boil the water gets transferred into the alcohol and it evaporates. Temp should not go much over 80 degrees C until the level of the alcohol drops a lot and then the water will start to boil off. Monitor it though.

Below is the procedure i used on my most recent attempt:

Current run:12/02/18
Total 66g. 16g buds, rest is a mix of older buds and leaf (50g)
Decarbed 120 degrees / 1hour
Chopped and into Ethanol 8/02/18. 2 bottles 33g / 300ml ethanol.
In fridge @ 4 degrees in dark. Shake often as poss.
Do second 4hr extractionrun on same material.
Wound up with about 1l of green ethanol in a 2l pyrex beaker.
Set up hotplate in the fume hood with a 4l pyrex beaker with water in it.
Place 1l beaker inside this in the water and run hotplate on max.
Evaped off the ethanol to about 100ml in 2.5 hrs.
Dispense to 6 x 25ml dropper bottles.

Wash glassware with 60ml clean ethanol
And divide equally between the 6 dropper bottles.

Anyhow, that's what i do. 1/2 a dropper of the above and i am a happy person who should not drive for some 3 hours or so....at least. :)

Lots of different methods out there, but provided you keep the health and safety aspects of evaporating a solvent in mind (and its pretty much common sense) this one is easy.

I have looked into other solvents. Keep coming back to alcohol as its extraction efficiency is ok, and does not have residual nasties left over when evaporated down to concentrate, and is much safer than chloroform or pet ether. Just ensure you alcohol has minimal containment levels of things like benzene, methanol, toluene...

If you are using everclear (not available here) i reckon you'll be ok as i believe that is food grade.

Have fun!
Hello sir!

I realize this is a dead thread... but I was hoping you might have the answer to a question I have. I've been scouring these threads on 420mag for an answer but you are the first person I've come across that seems like you might know the answer.

I'm wondering how to tell how much weed to produce a specific concentration in your tincture or oil.

For example say you have 20 thc 0 CBS in your lab tested weed and want to create a product with at least that high a concentration.

What about higher or lower?

And whatever math you use could you please explain it well? I'm sorry. I have a learning disability that seriously impairs my ability to do math.

If you can help me with this I'd be most grateful.

All my best,
~Magnus

Hello sir!

I realize this is a dead thread... but I was hoping you might have the answer to a question I have. I've been scouring these threads on 420mag for an answer but you are the first person I've come across that seems like you might know the answer.

I'm wondering how to tell how much weed to produce a specific concentration in your tincture or oil.

For example say you have 20 thc 0 CBS in your lab tested weed and want to create a product with at least that high a concentration.

What about higher or lower?

And whatever math you use could you please explain it well? I'm sorry. I have a learning disability that seriously impairs my ability to do math.

If you can help me with this I'd be most grateful.

All my best,
~Magnus

Sorry Magnus. Never had weed lab tested as not possible here without getting busted. Also, part of the process i go through decarboxylates the weed. Converts most of the THCA to THC by putting it in 120 degrees C for an hour. Is your lab tested weed tested before decarbing or after decarbing, which will make a huge difference to THC ratio??

THC ratio for the same genetics will also vary depending on grow circumstances but maybe not much?

If you really want numbers and have access to lab tests, i would decarb, extract, and reduce to whatever final volume you want. Document everything in terms of weights, volumes, times so you can reproduce the method later. Then, send some off for testing and see what the numbers come back as.

From those numbers you should get a pretty good idea of subsequent tinctures provided you stick to the method and are using the same variety of weed grown the same way. Wont be absolute accurate, but baring getting the expensive test kits that cost a motza maybe best you can do??

Me, i did have a mate who was going to get some of my extract analyzed, but never happened. Got overtaken by events. Me happy enough to just keep it consistent so i know 3-5 drops of a tinc made from buds a mild buzz.

Good luck. :)

Hopefully the link above posts ok. Was a useful paper i found on decarbing and extractions that may be of interest.

Hi,

After ruining most of my weed after burning it I have managed to dry my last plant and now have 3oz (90g) of dried, ground and decarboxylated bud. I want to make an oil based ticture something similar to the CBD oils you can buy online but much stronger and with THC in it too and without using solvents. (today I hear you can buy CBD oils from Holland & Barrett)

I've read about making cannabutter, Rick Simpson Oil and other edibles and my weed is now decarbed so has anyone got any views on how to proceed from here?

Many thanks

Cmoon
I like to add my decarbed bud to coconut oil in a mason jar. I will place that jar in a pot of water and put it on stove or bbq on very low heat. I try to keep temp of water at 160-180 degrees. I’ll let that sit for a couple of hours. Once done I strain through cheesecloth squeezing out all the oil. I use the oil to make cookies and gummies and it works every time. I use the same method with Kief but don’t strain it at the end. You can also use butter but coconut has more fat. Hope it works!

I like to add my decarbed bud to coconut oil in a mason jar. I will place that jar in a pot of water and put it on stove or bbq on very low heat. I try to keep temp of water at 160-180 degrees. I’ll let that sit for a couple of hours. Once done I strain through cheesecloth squeezing out all the oil. I use the oil to make cookies and gummies and it works every time. I use the same method with Kief but don’t strain it at the end. You can also use butter but coconut has more fat. Hope it works!

Hopefully the link above posts ok. Was a useful paper i found on decarbing and extractions that may be of interest.

Hi. Hope you dont mind my question... but how do you know how much weed to how much coconut oil? For example if you use weed that is 25% thc and then next time you use weed that is 20%, if you use the same amount of weed each time the first batch will necessarily be weaker than the second. How do you account for that difference? I know you can use too much weed because the fat can only hold so much in cannabinoids. In other words, to ensure you don't waste your weed you make sure you only use the maximum amount of cannabis. I remember reading what that general amount was but cannot remember for the life if me. Would you happen to know how much weed is the generally accepted guideline is for how much weed to use when making an oil or tincture?

Sorry if I'm a pain in the ass but I need to find answers to these questions so that I can adequately treat both my lower back and my fibromyalgia.

Thanks so much.
~Magnus

Sorry Magnus. Never had weed lab tested as not possible here without getting busted. Also, part of the process i go through decarboxylates the weed. Converts most of the THCA to THC by putting it in 120 degrees C for an hour. Is your lab tested weed tested before decarbing or after decarbing, which will make a huge difference to THC ratio??

THC ratio for the same genetics will also vary depending on grow circumstances but maybe not much?

If you really want numbers and have access to lab tests, i would decarb, extract, and reduce to whatever final volume you want. Document everything in terms of weights, volumes, times so you can reproduce the method later. Then, send some off for testing and see what the numbers come back as.

From those numbers you should get a pretty good idea of subsequent tinctures provided you stick to the method and are using the same variety of weed grown the same way. Wont be absolute accurate, but baring getting the expensive test kits that cost a motza maybe best you can do??

Me, i did have a mate who was going to get some of my extract analyzed, but never happened. Got overtaken by events. Me happy enough to just keep it consistent so i know 3-5 drops of a tinc made from buds a mild buzz.

Good luck. :)
Thanks so much, Phil. This is all very helpful.

I'm afraid I dont really have access to testing my weed. That pastime is more suited to someone much wealthier than me!

But your info is, well, informative!

All my best,
~Magnus

I also do not know the % when I make my coconut oil. I’m either using my own shake or the last time I used Kief I saved up under my grinder. Once I’ve made it I just taste it slowly until I find my proper dose. I use 2 g of Kief for a 1/4 cup oil. When I use Shake I use about 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz per cup of oil. Not sure the science of it all but I know it works for me.

I also do not know the % when I make my coconut oil. I’m either using my own shake or the last time I used Kief I saved up under my grinder. Once I’ve made it I just taste it slowly until I find my proper dose. I use 2 g of Kief for a 1/4 cup oil. When I use Shake I use about 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz per cup of oil. Not sure the science of it all but I know it works for me.
When I make olive oil I use 15 grams for 2 cups of oil..thc 17
Trial and error for me. Just dip your toes in (metaphorically speaking) when you give the new batch a whirl!
Thank you all for chiming in on this issue. Your knowledge and advice are plenty helpful!

Best,
~Magnus

Back
Top Bottom