Becoming a Medical Marijuana Patient in Missouri

David Bowman

Summary
Under HB 2238, only patients with intractable epilepsy are eligible for legal protections in Missouri. In order for a patient with intractable epilepsy to be enrolled in the program, they must obtain a written recommendation from a neurologist. Patients must be residents of Missouri. To obtain legal protection, patients with a recommendation from their neurologist to treat intractable epilepsy must register with the state Department of Health and Senior Services.

What's Legal
The law attempts to create a system to produce, manufacture, and distribute CBD oil to treat intractable epilepsy; however, the law requires producers to be in compliance with federal law, therefore access seems impossible until changes are made in the either state or federal law.

Eligible Conditions
  • intractable epilepsy
Application Process
The patient application process will be created by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services at a later date.

Doctor
A patient may only obtain a recommendation from a board certified neurologist who is licensed to practice medicine in Missouri.

Access/Caregivers
Patients under the age of 18 may have their parent or legal guardian serve as their caregiver. Patients over the age of 18 do not have a legal right to have a caregiver.

Consumption
The are no restrictions on where a patient may consume their hemp extract.

Age Limits
Minors may become patients under HB 2238; however, they can only become registered patients if their parent or legal guardian signs and submits their application paperwork.

Confidentiality
The law does not create explicit privacy protections for patients.

Housing
The law does not create housing protections for patients.

Employment
The law does not create employment protections for patients

Insurance
The law is silent on whether insurance companies must pay for hemp extract therapy.

Out of State Patients
No reciprocity exists for out of state patients under HB 2238. The law protects residents of Missouri who register with the Dept. of Health and Senior Services.

Source: ASA: Becoming a Patient in Missouri

Well we have been Legal since July 4th 2020, what I think is wrong, the state took all the money,and those elderly, or now are in limbo unless they get a caregiver, and they can donate money to you for labor, light bill etc. a lot of gray area's. As the state said the first couple months they will turn there heads as you have to start somewhere, seeds. They called it immaculate conception. we got 3 Disp in are area, Spld, and KC, and S.T.L got a shit load 192 in all. but for those who paid there fee, and have no where to get it, unless your in St.Louis just cross the Bridge, lol

They tell us that we will see our first sales in December. The licenses were handed out and a few of the grow ops are now in production, producing the product to be sold later. The dispensary approved for my little town has had the land prepared, but building has not started yet, but I expect them to easily put up a sales location in the time remaining before they get product. You can be sure that once I get my card (and I have been waiting since it expires after 12 months) I will be making a trip over to the land of Lincoln just to check out the scene, well before MO gets their act together.

Yup, if I was over there, I would. hell Kirksville, got 3 or 4 and most where Cresco Labs. Which, I do believe we needed someone in the biz , from Cali, or Denver to show them how to get it together. I like Oregon, they way they set there's up. why the states like the land of Lincoln ran short, its a shame, that states can not work together, they have a surplus ,which I heard . Canada has the plan, make it like alcohol, or anything else, it seems to me our laws are ass backwards. Messed up. California, are light years ahead of the game 1996. and we are just know getting around to it. You know when they seen all the $ come in, there was a change of heart. But with each state that become legal, there becomes more and more strains, sky is the limit. But big Pharma and alcohol and tobacco never wanted to see this day. Alcohol ruins lives, causes accidents, I don't have to stand on my soap box, but the flag says we are all equal, I do not see it. Denver really upped the game. And we are left with a paper that you had to use your own ink to print, the gun permit cards, have holograms on them. And think of the department that is running it. set around for years drinking coffee, and waiting for 5.pm. Know they are overwhelmed. Anyway you got the right idea, just remember Lisa, she will help you, get your card with 1 phone call, a 5 minute over net office visit and wham, your legal. but since the dispensary's are not open, only those who applied for cultivation permit. are good to go, and there is so much gray area, at first my wife, could not go in room, then they said we had to put patient name on each plant, then they said married couples could both be in grow area. They are lost. And this Virus is not helping anyone. So I will stop flying around airport and land....<<<>>>

Summary
Under HB 2238, only patients with intractable epilepsy are eligible for legal protections in Missouri. In order for a patient with intractable epilepsy to be enrolled in the program, they must obtain a written recommendation from a neurologist. Patients must be residents of Missouri. To obtain legal protection, patients with a recommendation from their neurologist to treat intractable epilepsy must register with the state Department of Health and Senior Services.

What's Legal
The law attempts to create a system to produce, manufacture, and distribute CBD oil to treat intractable epilepsy; however, the law requires producers to be in compliance with federal law, therefore access seems impossible until changes are made in the either state or federal law.

Eligible Conditions
  • intractable epilepsy
Application Process
The patient application process will be created by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services at a later date.

Doctor
A patient may only obtain a recommendation from a board certified neurologist who is licensed to practice medicine in Missouri.

Access/Caregivers
Patients under the age of 18 may have their parent or legal guardian serve as their caregiver. Patients over the age of 18 do not have a legal right to have a caregiver.

Consumption
The are no restrictions on where a patient may consume their hemp extract.

Age Limits
Minors may become patients under HB 2238; however, they can only become registered patients if their parent or legal guardian signs and submits their application paperwork.

Confidentiality
The law does not create explicit privacy protections for patients.

Housing
The law does not create housing protections for patients.

Employment
The law does not create employment protections for patients

Insurance
The law is silent on whether insurance companies must pay for hemp extract therapy.

Out of State Patients
No reciprocity exists for out of state patients under HB 2238. The law protects residents of Missouri who register with the Dept. of Health and Senior Services.

Source: ASA: Becoming a Patient in Missouri

David, They are letting us Mo residents pay a 1 time fee, and we can go to Oklahoma , and use your Missouri card, and there 1 time 1 day fee. But must be consumed in that state. Illinois Kind of was cheesy, thy let the owners of a medical dispensary, open 2 rec locations. which, most are Cresco owned. Know and Primary Doctor can sign, but most say, no as they are dispensing federal narcotic's so they are scared to sign. Which is fine, Missouri will let pay for medical cards, and when they are done with that, Rec will be on Ballot, which it was, but took it off, as cornia-19 has stopped anyone more then 6 to be together so we can not get to the ballot box, as court house's are closed. I have nothing against Cresco or the other big player in Chicago. And the big one I think is in Canada. you prob know more of what's going on then I do, I just read what they wrote, and toke for the Best.

I'm a legal patient and cultivator now, but I was really worried about going legal. I couldn't help but wonder if somehow it would put me on "a list" and cause me to be pegged by local authorities. LOL. I say this even though I'm married to a prominent local citizen who is involved seriously in local boards, NPO's, and private business. He's on a first name basis with all the fuzz. I found a web site that would set up a telemedicine appointment with a doctor who could examine my records and make a decision. Because my hospital allows printing my medical records from home, I sent this guy, who was in St. Louis, my medical records and my medication list. We talked for 10 minutes and voila! I'm now legal.
The cost was $95 for the medical. In a nearby college town, the doctors wanted $150. So next year I will have to do this again, and pay Missouri $25 plus $100 for the cultivation. It's kind of cool, because the paranoia is gone.
I wish people who were against MM could understand the self-incrimination and fear that prohibition caused. If I didn't need this herb, I wouldn't use it or grow it. I'm not into intoxicants, like liquor, etc. I've even given myself partial or total vacations from MM, but the health issues become major. The fact is, MM is an important part of my health care.

GOT my MM "temp" approval on the 24th awaiting final decision. Right now there are not any dispensaries close to me. The nearest one is in AR. Illinois has recreational rights now. Since I live in a very rural county in SE MO, thank goodness the availability to cultivate at home is a viable option.

Hopefully here in a year or two MO will open everything up and make it easier.

I’m hoping that Missouri will make recreational cannabis legal soon.

Finally got my card and grow licence approved.
Just for the heck of it I tried to find a dispensary within a "reasonable" distance and there are none.
This site has some interesting statistics I cannot verify the truth of the stats but it sounds right to me.
MO MM stats
More than 35,000 patients approved in MO as of March 2020.
Missouri has already made over $17 million.
Dispensaries
There were 1,201 dispensary applications.
192 were approved in February, 24 in each of the 8 congressional districts.
Each applicant paid a $6,000 nonrefundable fee.
The state made $7,872,000 from application fees for dispensaries alone.
Cultivation Facilities
The DHSS has received 578 cultivation site applications.
60 were approved, and each applicant paid a $10,000 nonrefundable fee.

Here is the data released by the state:
Min Qualification 70% complete
Commencement Inspections 3 dispensaries authorized in the entire state :thedoubletake:
Facilities progress
Minimum Standards Reviews 10 Labs in approved 1 in progress, 47 applications for cultivation approved 13 in progress, 140 dispensaries approved 52 in progress, 8 transportation companies approved 14 in progress.

From what I have read the CV-19 is being blamed in part for the delay to open the dispensaries.
I guess the long red tape and government bureaucracy has some to do with it also.

Well at least I can grow my own now legally.:yummy:

I am a native son of California. Have lived here 95% of my 67 year life.
I can tell you with a high degree of expertise that California has gone to shit. Totally. I am tired of the smoke, the fires, the loss of electricity because PG&E would rather pay share holders than maintain their equipment. The loss of personal freedoms because nanny government insists on taking care of me.
I'm tired of being taxed anemic, trying to drive on impassable roads, watching kids graduate from high school that can't read, shortages of doctors, outrageous real estate prices ... and did I mention taxes?

These people are crazy.
I gotta get out of here.

My wife has kin living in Missouri. Cabool to be exact. I've been there a couple of times to visit and I'm seriously thinking of moving there.
I'm old, I figure I got ten good years; and I just want to coast to the finish line with peace and a minimum of drama and trauma.

So, I seed advice and opinion.
Not only in the cannabis area, but in quality of life and the people and the weather and .... what's it like to live in Missouri?
Should I consider it.

I gotta get out of this place.
These people are crazy.

I live in the boonies near a lake in lower SE MO. Been to St Louis and would not go there for anything. Traffic horrendous, caused me PTSD to go over the top.:(

In the lower portion of the state is Mark Twain Forest and the areas around that are nice. I am older vet and prefer the slow quiet life over the hustle and bustle of big cities especially now. My county has 77 CV-19 cases since day 1.

Becoming a patient is relatively easy at least for me, hear Certified Dr's ad on local FM station. Called set appt. and boom MMJ legal with grow licence.

I am within 2 hours of prime trout and walleye fishing.

I am a native son of California. Have lived here 95% of my 67 year life.
I can tell you with a high degree of expertise that California has gone to shit. Totally. I am tired of the smoke, the fires, the loss of electricity because PG&E would rather pay share holders than maintain their equipment. The loss of personal freedoms because nanny government insists on taking care of me.
I'm tired of being taxed anemic, trying to drive on impassable roads, watching kids graduate from high school that can't read, shortages of doctors, outrageous real estate prices ... and did I mention taxes?

These people are crazy.
I gotta get out of here.

My wife has kin living in Missouri. Cabool to be exact. I've been there a couple of times to visit and I'm seriously thinking of moving there.
I'm old, I figure I got ten good years; and I just want to coast to the finish line with peace and a minimum of drama and trauma.

So, I seed advice and opinion.
Not only in the cannabis area, but in quality of life and the people and the weather and .... what's it like to live in Missouri?
Should I consider it.

I gotta get out of this place.
These people are crazy.
I love Missouri, or I would move... I have the connections and means to move most anywhere in the world, but I choose to live here. My family comes from California and my Mum lives there now, and even though I adore the ocean, I could not live there now.
First, let me tell you about taxes and home prices. I recently bought a double lot in a small town in Missouri with a little over a quarter of an acre of land. This medium sized house even with my recent improvements would sell for about $110k right now, and because of the extremely low tax base in this community, my mortgage payment is around $500. You can't touch that anywhere in CA, and if you have any equity in your present situation and can move it to Cabool, your payments would be even less.
Life in Missouri is much slower paced than in California and people really go out of their way to be nice. As we were moving in to this house, all of my immediate neighbors stopped by to meet us, and anytime someone passes by they give us a friendly wave.
Politically, people here are mostly conservative in the rural areas with the liberals congregating in the 3 biggest cities across the middle of the state. Guns, hunting and fishing are a big deal in Missouri, and no place in the world can beat the fall colors of our Missouri forests. The air here is clear but humid during the summer, with no refreshing ocean breeze. The saying here is that if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute... we do get all 4 seasons, sometimes with a vengeance. We don't get earthquakes as a rule, but we do have a springtime tornado and severe thunderstorm season that needs to be paid attention to. Many Missourians are active and alert with NWS warning systems out of necessity, but at least you can predict, track and get out of the way of a tornado, as compared to an earthquake. Its a no brainer for me... quakes scare me.... tornados only frighten me. :)

Thanks you guys, I appreciate your insight -- and anyone else that cares to pipe up.
I live in a pretty rural area about 100 mi north of Sacramento (outskirts of Redding CA). Wifey and I escaped the Big City twenty five years ago. For the last two decades we watch what they did there and shook our heads and wondered how much time we had left here.
Now we know ... time's up. Party is over.
The Democratic Marxists have finally soiled their own nest to the point where they want to leave; and they're coming here. And they're bringing their delinquent kids and rabid far left ideas with them. They are abandoning their cities in droves and moving in next door to me.

Like I said, I just want to coast to the finish line with a minimum of drama and a maximum of safety. We have earned it.

Thanks again ya'll.

Been seeing on the news that wildfires have been ravishing areas of CA that have "never seen fire before". That alone would be incentive for me to depart. Areas rich in history and people around my area polite and helpful. You might even find a good place 3 miles down a gravel road you like. Plenty of the around.

Been seeing on the news that wildfires have been ravishing areas of CA that have "never seen fire before". That alone would be incentive for me to depart. Areas rich in history and people around my area polite and helpful. You might even find a good place 3 miles down a gravel road you like. Plenty of the around.
Yes, and anyone who doesn't live here, or is 'woke', doesn't understand WHY it's burning.
* A hundred and fifty years ago, when native Americans roamed the area, they would plant and right after harvests in September either (1) lightening storm would start a fire, or (2) they would start a fire. It would burn all the low vegetation, low heat and clear the land; putting important nutes back into the soil. (Now we buy bags of chemicals). Fifty years ago fire suppression became very profitable (remember Smokey the Bear?) and fires were put out immediately. This causes many feet of dry vegetation on the Forrest floors. They burn HOT, and catch the trees on fire - causing great conflagration and sterilizing the land.
* About 20 years ago our utility provider, PG&E, stopped maintaining their very high power lines. Stopped. Too expensive. The share holders were complaining that they weren't making enough money. The state started taxing (fee) users for maintenance ... but the money never went there. It went to social programs and ... California's version of The Green New Deal. Yup.
* And, while it has nothing to do with the fires; we now suffer 'rotating power outages' because the suppliers of electricity to PG&E can not provide enough to meet demand. And the aged lines can't handle the load. So, they have to rotate outages. My last months electricity bill was $1103 - and we were without power for two days (the temps were over 105F). Just like some third world country. It's becoming more and more like ... Bangladesh.

And its getting worse.
Fast.

Welcome to Venezuela.

I mourn for my home. I have traveled all over the world and seen many beautiful places. But, the city I grew up in, San Francisco, was always my first love. SF in the 60;s and 70's was vibrant and alive. Sexy. Fun. A 24/7 energy that was delightful. A place that you could party like a grown up, or raise a family. World class restaurants, museums, libraries, theater. The best educational system in the state (nation?).
Now, it's a toilet that hasn't been flushed in ten years. The whole city smells like piss. Cops hands are tied - they seek early retirement and survival.
Courts are completely over loaded and rely on high paid attorneys to clear calendars by plea bargaining. Schools teach kids that animals have the same rights as people, that our founding fathers were evil, that white people should be ashamed to be white, and that personal freedom of choice are old fashioned.
Libraries are now homeless day cares. You gotta step over piss-soaked bums sleeping the doorway of your $2500 studio apartment, and if you disturb him and get hurt; well, it's your own fault for being rich when he's so poor. (If you're white, and he's not - you are double screwed.)

It's bad folks. And it's coming to your neighborhood sooner or later.
I'm glad to be old.
I don't wanna see any more.

Hang in there like a hair in a biscuit ull be okay. Chin up and keep your eyes on the goal one step at at time.
Hey, wanted to ask you ... I been reading up on the Missouri Medical Caregiver rules for growing. I noticed that there is no prohibition to a caregiver being compensated for growing for a patient.
What is the 'customary' charges that a grower would charge a patient? I'd give wifey a family discount and all, or we'd work out some kind of a barter arrangement *evil snicker* but ... what's the deal if I had another patient.

Back
Top Bottom