Restless Leg - I Have Found Relief!

MisterSniffle

I realize that I'm posting right next to older thread about Restless Leg Syndrome but I thought it would be OK to start a new one with slightly different context.

For those who don't like to read a lot: I have found that the strain "Space Dawg" (TGA Genetics) is a near miracle cure for my restless leg syndrome. For those interested in a little more info, I'll share:

I've had Restless Leg for about four years now and over those years it has gone from an occasional rough night of leg discomfort to a seven-nights a week full-blown disorder. The effects have also intensified AND spread from my legs to my arms and sometimes even my spine on particularly awful nights. For the past few months the impact on my life has been terrible. The insomnia is bad enough, but having to leave the bed and sleep on the couch most nights just so my wife can get a good night's sleep is terrible. It was the last straw.

I have been seeing a neurologist for the problem and I've been on a steadily-increasing dose of Neurontin (Gabapentin). For the first year or so Gabapentin controlled the problem very well and I only had to deal with problem nights once every couple of months.

Gabapentin began helping less and less. I don't know if my body habituated to the drug or if my problem has just gotten that much worse, or what. So I was prescribed Carbidopa/Levodopa- a drug normally given to Parkinson's patients. This drug can only be used twice a week, or it will actually make symptoms worse. In my experience, the Carbidopa is not very helpful. It reduces my symptoms but I don't really get much more sleep at night- I'm just a little less uncomfortable.

Since getting my MMJ card (for another condition that's easily treated by any high-THC marijuana strain) I have been exploring various strains to try to treat my Restless Leg- a condition which affects me every night of my life but not a qualifying medical marijuana condition in my jurisdiction. I was excited to try Harlequin with its high CBD content and reputation for helping patients with epilepsy and other nervous system/movement disorders. In my particular case, Harlequin wasn't as helpful as I'd been hoping.

I kept looking, though. Last week I tried Space Dawg and that night was the first night I'd slept a full eight hours in many weeks. I have medicated with Space Dawg at bedtime for the past ten nights and every single night I've slept soundly with no RLS involuntary motions or crawling sensations.

I am so grateful that I dropped a line to the folks at TGA to thank them for developing the strain.

I also hope I can reach other frustrated RLS patients with some advice that might help. Folks like to joke about RLS, and I guess it does kind of sound like one of those conditions that drug companies "invented" to sell another drug to hypochondriacs. I must admit that I didn't think much of RLS until I began to experience it for myself. It is pure torment and I can hardly express how grateful I am to have finally found what seems like a safe solution to the problem. Hopefully this can help someone else.

Good Luck.

-Sniff

RLS is definitely not a joke! It can really damper a person's life. I was on Gabapentin and Requip (also meant for Parkinsons) MMJ has been the best thing to happen to me. I can actually sleep without Gabapentin (still taking Requip, maybe soon I'll be off that). I make it a routine of shower, smoke and peacefully sleep.

My only issue lately (before I explored MMJ) is my RLS occurs during the day too. Can't exactly smoke on college campus or bust out a brownie in the middle of a lecture lol.

RLS is definitely not a joke! It can really damper a person's life. I was on Gabapentin and Requip (also meant for Parkinsons) MMJ has been the best thing to happen to me. I can actually sleep without Gabapentin (still taking Requip, maybe soon I'll be off that). I make it a routine of shower, smoke and peacefully sleep.

My only issue lately (before I explored MMJ) is my RLS occurs during the day too. Can't exactly smoke on college campus or bust out a brownie in the middle of a lecture lol.

Glad to hear someone else has the RLS as badly as I do (DID :) ) On top of the RLS, I'd have severe muscle cramps that would stop me in my tracks, head to toe, and even abdominal muscles that restricted my breathing a little. My doctors tried the gab. and the reqp. and even one more, QUININE of all things. NOTHING worked, I was in tears, falling asleep in the bathtub and waking up shivering cause the warm soak would be the only thing that worked temporarily. NOW, thanks to my state's MM law, I can get the relief I need and function. Glad you're on the mend too. Toke care, I mean, take care!!

Greg:bong:

Glad to hear someone else has the RLS as badly as I do (DID :) ) On top of the RLS, I'd have severe muscle cramps that would stop me in my tracks, head to toe, and even abdominal muscles that restricted my breathing a little. My doctors tried the gab. and the reqp. and even one more, QUININE of all things. NOTHING worked, I was in tears, falling asleep in the bathtub and waking up shivering cause the warm soak would be the only thing that worked temporarily. NOW, thanks to my state's MM law, I can get the relief I need and function. Glad you're on the mend too. Toke care, I mean, take care!!

Greg:bong:

Greg dude I salute you! I hated those late night last resort to a hot bath helping enough to pass out in the tub because your tired to fight with yourself. Then trying to keep sane when someone tells me "just eat some bananas or go for a walk" Just not that simple. I'm so thankful for MMJ definitely helped me in ways pills can't.

Hi Sniff
I was wondering whether you have continued to find relief for RLS from Space Dawg. I am being tormented by it myself, and have done the whole Requip/gaba thing myself with minimal results. All forms of cannabis seem to dehydrate me horribly, but if I found something that really worked it might be worth it. I wonder if that strain is even still available...
I hope you aren't experiencing symptoms any more!
Lisa

RLS is often a sign of mineral deficiencies. Calcium, potassium and especially magnesium.

Because most of our food is grown in soils depleted of those basic minerals and most others even when we consciously eat a good diet to keep ourselves healthy we just can't get enough of them from the foods we eat.

Ca and Mg need to be taken in proper balance for both to be utilized properly by the body. Vitamin D3 taken with them helps a lot and also vitamin K2 which helps direct the Ca to the bones where it should go and not be floating around freely in the blood where it an deposit on the insides of the blood vessels causing plaque deposits and "hardening" of the arteries.

The type of supplements you take is important too. Cheaper ones use the carbonate or sulfate forms of the minerals in them and these are poorly absorbed. Better ones use the citrate forms of them that are easily assimilated by the intestine and used in the body.

A large jar of them is fairly inexpensive. I have a jar of 210 made by Natural Factors that was under $20 and probably cheaper if you shop online. It has Ca, Mg, potassium (K), Zinc and Manganese all in citrate form along with silicon and vitamin D3. Two a day with meals may reduce or eliminate RLS after a while. I had it a bit but as I've been using various supplements for 40 years it never got very bad and is absent since I made sure to take these regularly.

A hot soak in the tub for 40 min or more with 2 cups of epsom salts will help detox you and allow Mg to be absorbed through the skin. Big jugs at the drugstore are pretty cheap and the bath works great to relieve my joint and muscle pain.

Magnesium oil is another good way to get your Mg. It's not an oil but just magnesium chloride in water. Fairly expensive but you can easily make your own. Ask the druggist if they can order you in some magnesium chloride or it might be available at health food stores. Regular Mg oil is just 450g of MgCl in 1L, 1000ml, of water. Use RO or distilled water from the drug store to make it up. Dilute to half strength and use in a spray bottle to spray your legs or the rest of you.

Mg is also very calming and can help deal with anxiety and depression and is used in many herbal mixtures to alleviate symptoms of both.

Zinc is another mineral sorely lacking in our diets and very important to our health. Have to get up to pee during the night or have poor flow and that tingle that keeps you awake even tho you have got up to pee? Get some 50mg zinc tablets and take 2/day with meals for the first couple of weeks then one a day after. Had it bad but no more. Saw Palmetto, another great herb, and pumpkin seeds or the oil are great for this condition and I use all of them.

Pot is a wondrous plant and can cure or treat so many things but if the underlying condition isn't dealt with the problems advance.

Stay healthy out there!

:peace:

RLS is often a sign of mineral deficiencies. Calcium, potassium and especially magnesium.

Because most of our food is grown in soils depleted of those basic minerals and most others even when we consciously eat a good diet to keep ourselves healthy we just can't get enough of them from the foods we eat.

Ca and Mg need to be taken in proper balance for both to be utilized properly by the body. Vitamin D3 taken with them helps a lot and also vitamin K2 which helps direct the Ca to the bones where it should go and not be floating around freely in the blood where it an deposit on the insides of the blood vessels causing plaque deposits and "hardening" of the arteries.

The type of supplements you take is important too. Cheaper ones use the carbonate or sulfate forms of the minerals in them and these are poorly absorbed. Better ones use the citrate forms of them that are easily assimilated by the intestine and used in the body.

A large jar of them is fairly inexpensive. I have a jar of 210 made by Natural Factors that was under $20 and probably cheaper if you shop online. It has Ca, Mg, potassium (K), Zinc and Manganese all in citrate form along with silicon and vitamin D3. Two a day with meals may reduce or eliminate RLS after a while. I had it a bit but as I've been using various supplements for 40 years it never got very bad and is absent since I made sure to take these regularly.

A hot soak in the tub for 40 min or more with 2 cups of epsom salts will help detox you and allow Mg to be absorbed through the skin. Big jugs at the drugstore are pretty cheap and the bath works great to relieve my joint and muscle pain.

Magnesium oil is another good way to get your Mg. It's not an oil but just magnesium chloride in water. Fairly expensive but you can easily make your own. Ask the druggist if they can order you in some magnesium chloride or it might be available at health food stores. Regular Mg oil is just 450g of MgCl in 1L, 1000ml, of water. Use RO or distilled water from the drug store to make it up. Dilute to half strength and use in a spray bottle to spray your legs or the rest of you.

Mg is also very calming and can help deal with anxiety and depression and is used in many herbal mixtures to alleviate symptoms of both.

Zinc is another mineral sorely lacking in our diets and very important to our health. Have to get up to pee during the night or have poor flow and that tingle that keeps you awake even tho you have got up to pee? Get some 50mg zinc tablets and take 2/day with meals for the first couple of weeks then one a day after. Had it bad but no more. Saw Palmetto, another great herb, and pumpkin seeds or the oil are great for this condition and I use all of them.

Pot is a wondrous plant and can cure or treat so many things but if the underlying condition isn't dealt with the problems advance.

Stay healthy out there!

:peace:

Not only was this thread very helpful in regards to me looking up information in regards to a family member, but this also helps a lot more specifically. I knew about the Potassium aspect, but had no idea that lack of magnesium and calcium can cause issues as well with RLS individuals.

Thanks for the great posts. I wanted to leave a note about my treatment for RLS. My neurologist has me get blood drawn regularly to check that my Ferretin is above 200. If it falls too far below, I have to go for an infusion of iron. I know it's a specific protocol that he orders. I still take Gabapentin as well, for the RLS.

If you have RLS and haven't had your Ferretin checked, it might be worth doing.

I hope to be off all the allopathic medication in the future.

Kelly

It took me a long long time to find the cause of my restless leg syndrome, or even to figure out that this is what it's called. I had no idea what was happening to me.
Such an innocent sounding name isn't it...!

It's associated with opiate withdrawal, and since I try to use as little opiates as possible, I sometimes find myself in regular states of minor withdrawal.
Mainly I just wanted to say how much I empathize with anyone who's suffered from this. I was literally crying at times from the endless torture. Figuring out what it actually was called and what caused it was a huge help.

New here... I am trying to get a hold of weaselcracker ^^^ for just a couple of questions about an old post. Any help here? I would tremendously appreciate it...

I'll pm you...

Oh wait you don't have enough posts to pm yet. :hmmmm: Well - post on my journal then or probably any other thread I've been on and I'll get it. I haven't been on 420 much lately.

Back
Top Bottom