MMJ New Mexico

Kaiser Sose 3

NM has grossly underplanned when it comes to MMJ. As a new patient-long time advocate, I contacted the NM DOH Cannabis program to ask a couple of questions. What I found out is that there is no budget for employees to process the 200-350 new patient apps sent up to Santa Fe each month.
With no budget there are no employees. With no employees there is noone to process the apps. With noone processing the apps there are no cards being issued. The state says they will review each app sent up within 30 days. After my call, to the very nice overworked lady in SF, she said cards are taking at least 60 days to get issued.
When you couple this with the fact that there are only 25 producers in NM to service the some 6000 patients in the program, this relates to not enough meds for the current patients. The lack of meds would be even greater if they would issue all the cards that have been submitted for.
There are problems with the current system and we need more individuals to stand up and take a step to help the system thru this period. I have already offered to work for them on a volunteer basis a couple days a week just to help out and expidite the process. My assistance was declined.
I am 3.5 weeks out and expect another 4-6 weeks before I get my card. I hate the waiting but have my own meds which I have had for over 25 yrs. that will not change. I would however like to do it legally. I am in the process of doing it legally. However the state wants to make it harder and harder to be legal. Gov. Susanna "We Don't Smoke Marijuana" Martinez sure is making it difficult to be legal. She is againt it and yet she complains about not being able to balance the budget or problems with no money for education. Gov. Martinez needs to visit our neighbor to the north, Colorado, and see how things can be done. Colorado has in 2010 collected $28 Million in fees and taxes. The gov. of colorado took $1mil of those funds to balance the state budget. See Ms. Martinez it can and does work! Lets get with the program!!!

Just my Rant!!! :yummy:

Re: Mmj nm

This is a messege I received back from a congressman in NM sent the day I posted the above post...

September 15, 2011

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me regarding marijuana policy. I appreciate knowing your thoughts and concerns on this important issue.

New Mexico is one of 16 states that allow the use of cannabis for medical purposes. In the 16 states with medical marijuana programs, doctors do not actually prescribe marijuana, and the marijuana products used by patients are not distributed through pharmacies. Rather, doctors recommend marijuana to their patients and the cannabis products are grown by patients or their caregivers, or they are obtained from cooperatives or other alternative dispensaries. The state medical marijuana programs do, however, contravene the federal prohibition of marijuana. Medical marijuana patients, their caregivers, and other marijuana providers can, therefore, be arrested by federal law enforcement agents, and they can be prosecuted under federal law. However, in March, 2009, United States Attorney General Eric Holder announced the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency would no longer raid medical marijuana distribution facilities.

Former-Governor Bill Richardson signed the Lynn and Erin Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act, which went into effect on July 1, 2007. It requires the New Mexico Department of Health to set rules governing the distribution of medical cannabis to state authorized patients.

As you may know, three bills to protect medical marijuana patients and providers are pending before the House of Representatives.

Representative Barney Frank (MA-4) introduced H.R. 1983, the States' Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act, which would provide for the medical use of cannabis in accordance with each state's laws. H.R. 1983 was referred to House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

Representative Jared Polis (CO-2) introduced H.R. 1984, the Small Business Banking Improvement Act, which would allow medical marijuana providers to take standard business deductions under the federal tax code. H.R. 1984 was referred to the House Committee on Financial Services.

Representative Pete Stark (CA-13) introduced H.R. 1985, the Small Business Tax Equity Act, which would allow financial institutions to work with medical marijuana businesses in accordance of federal banking regulations. H.R. 1985 was referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means.

Representative Barney Frank (MA-4) introduced H.R. 2306, the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011, which would remove marijuana from federal regulation of controlled substances. The legislation would limit the federal government's role in marijuana enforcement to cross-border or inter-state smuggling, allowing people to legally grow, use or sell marijuana according to state regulations. H.R. 2306 was referred to the House Committees on the Judiciary and Energy and Commerce.

Please rest assured, I will closely monitor this issue and I will keep your views in mind should legislation regarding medical marijuana come before the full House of Representatives for consideration.

As you know, the best ideas do not come from Washington but from thoughtful, caring people like you who take the time to participate in government and the democratic process. I hope you will continue contacting me with your ideas and let me know if there is anything I can do for you or your family.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For more information and additional details about legislation, please visit my website, Representative Martin Heinrich : Home. While you are there, you can also sign up to receive periodic updates on my work in Congress.

As always, I value your input and hope you will continue to keep me informed of the issues important to you.

Sincerely,

Martin Heinrich
Member of Congress

And this is the reply sent back to the Congressman...

Congressman Martin Heinrich,

Thank you for your response. I enjoyed reading your response. However I would like to point out a mistake and ask you to look into this as no legislation is currently pending on this particular item.

You stated "Rather, doctors recommend marijuana to their patients and the cannabis products are grown by patients or their caregivers, or they are obtained from cooperatives or other alternative dispensaries. The state medical marijuana programs do, however, contravene the federal prohibition of marijuana." I would like to point out that the NM DOH cannabis program personnel told me different and I had an attorney look into this for me too. I asked about cooperatives and collectives in NM. I was told " No Cooperatives or Collectives are allowed in NM at this time and no legislation has been started to allow these types of programs.

The importance of these is for the patients who cant afford to buy their medication or can not grow their own due to living situations or because they are incapacitated and can't do so. That is where a growers collective can help by providing a space for a licensed patient to grow or have grown for him/her the meds that they need.

I am an insurance agent and sell insurance for the people in this industry. I have spoken with a lot of these people and have heard common concerns through out. These concerns are first and formost the threat of prosecution. Next it is the lack of meds available. Third is that some people cant afford the meds they so need. And fifth They have no place to grow it because the landlord won't allow it and are threatened with eviction. There are also a large group of people who can't afford the meds and can't grow it due to their condition too.

As our representative I implore you to help these people. I know this takes time. But it is the will of the people. It is for a better life for our veterans and teachers and citizens of New Mexico all together.

Thank You for your consideration, listening and understanding.

I truely believe that if more people get involved, we will create the changes we desire. If we sit back and do nothing that is what we will get in return.

Please contact your elected officials. If we continue to do this they will have to implement the changes or we will elect new reps that will do THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE!
:thanks:

I hear ya! Sounds like a real nightmare for MMJ patients down there in New Mexico! :(

Check my signature for a link to an article Julie Gardener posted a few days ago about new Federal legislation being prepared right now! I added the link to my sig to help spread the word! I urge you to do the same! This will help notify all the 420 members about this every time we post a new message! :yahoo:

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

As of 10-10-2011 the NM DOH cashed my check for being a personal producer!!!!:high-five:

I sent my paperwork in aug 22nd. They finally cahed the check today so it is being processed.... My room is almost done...

I am so excited I cant contain myself!!!!

Must be nice to have the funds and location to become a personal producer, and not have to rely on producers for your medicine. Is that how it is working out for you?

Back
Top Bottom