Know your driving rights as an MMJ patient in New Mexico

painkills2

For those MMJ patients who are interested in protecting their right to drive in New Mexico...

From a 1/31/14 post on the NMMCPA Facebook page:

"Representative William 'Bill' R. Rehm - (R) has introduced a bill in which NM Medical Cannabis Patients will be affected. He wants to impose a 2 Nano Gram limit for intoxication levels for marijuana. What this will do is criminalize every patient in the state who drives a car legally. THC attaches itself/bonds to fat, so if you have any body fat at all and medicated the day or even 2 days before, the residual thc in your body would be at least 2 nano grams depending on your usage level. You can be completely sober and still be arrested for DUI at this kind of level. Colorado and Washington have established a 5 nano gram limit which is being fought now because it is much too low. Until studies can be done, these unsubstantiated limits are nothing but a new hardship for all patients in NM."

And, at: Common Albuquerque DWI Mistakes

"Refusal to Take a Breath or Blood Test

Based on New Mexico's Implied Consent Act, people driving in the state agree to be subjected to a breath or blood test. Refusing to take either of those tests can result in having your driver's license revoked and being charged with the more serious offense of aggravated DWI. If you decide not to undergo chemical testing, you should be aware of the consequences."

For further information: New Mexico DWI Information | New Mexico License Revocation Information

Now, why would a medical cannabis state have decreasing DWI fatalities? I wonder...

Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:35 pm | Updated: 9:50 pm, Thu Mar 13, 2014.
Martinez: State DWI fatalities at record low, Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE — Alcohol-related traffic deaths in New Mexico have reached a record low after falling sharply over 10 years, Gov. Susana Martinez announced Thursday. Martinez said preliminary numbers show the state saw 133 fatal alcohol-related crashes last year, a nearly 14 percent drop from 2012. That's the lowest number of annual alcohol-related traffic deaths recorded in the state and marked a 38 percent decline from a decade ago, the governor said.

From the FDA warning label on Marinol (synthetic THC): "Patients receiving treatment with MARINOL® Capsules should be specifically warned not to drive, operate machinery, or engage in any hazardous activity until it is established that they are able to tolerate the drug and to perform such tasks safely."

No intoxication level or nanogram limit. No special test needed for law enforcement. Why should marijuana be any different?

Why drinking too much may cause lung disease

7/7/14: In 2006, there were more than 1.2 million emergency room visits and 2.7 million physician office visits due to excessive drinking, the agency said. The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2006 were estimated at $223.5 billion.

Then there is the whole category of deaths and injuries due to accidents caused by excessive alcohol consumption. And there is some evidence that the current statistics understate the problem.

In March researchers writing in the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs suggested a lot of highway deaths – and other accidents in which alcohol was a factor – might not make it into the alcohol-related statistics.

Between 1999 and 2009, more than 450,000 Americans were killed in a traffic crashes. The researchers maintain that in cases where alcohol was involved, death certificates very often failed to list alcohol as a cause of death.

Do texting-while-driving bans work?

7/29/14: Do Texting While Driving Bans Work?

"They started with the year 2011, citing a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study showing 31% of people ages 18 to 64 reported they had read or sent text or email messages while driving at least once in the previous 30 days. That same year, 3,331 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver and an additional 387,000 people were injured."

Shouldn't the government be more concerned about driving activities that are actually killing people?

Damn. So pretty much every pimply-faced teen who took drivers education in NM (taught us to use the 10/2 positioning) is fair game for a traffic stop.

Law enforcement will always use bogus reasons to pull people over, whether they're written in law or not. The term "suspicious behavior" could mean just about anything. In fact, police have become rather adept at this practice. What I find unreal is that when I got a New Mexico driver's license, I automatically agreed to become subject to a breath or blood test. (And here in New Mexico, I soon learned I could be subject to illegal cavity searches, too... I think those cases are still making their way through the court system.)

I've lived here 50 years and haven't had any real issues with law enforcement other than Border Patrol. One of our houses is near the border and they regularly come by and snoop around & remind us not to give water to illegals. I was once told we couldn't leave a water hose extending out from the fenced yard to the outer pasture.That hose is still there.

The Deming anal incident has been settled with a million + dollar pay out. The officers involved are still on duty. Deming is my hometown and there is no way that little poverty enveloped place can afford that. As it is there have been cuts to numerous services already (watering, park maintenance, animal control, etc.) Deming is a place where the "old boy network" rules. It's pretty corrupt with city officials embezzling (cases usually dropped), city council members sending contracts to their own or family owned businesses, the jail is a constant source of city employees being fired and charged.

Sorry, stuff there just gets me going.

Back
Top Bottom