BudMaster Blue Moon2 LED Grow Light Review: 420 Magazine Review By Aaron Quix

Teddy Edwards

420 Support
420 Staff
A very big thanks to Budmaster for sharing their gear with us for this review!

Here’s a company who’s goal isn’t only to sell lights, but also to solve customers’ problems. They’ve introduced a concept that addresses a niche in the market - Mother plants and Early Vegetative Propagation.

The Blue Moon 2, or BM2, series of lights utilize 450 Nm Blue ORSAM diodes which are among the best in LED technology, in 5x5 (25) diodes per cluster. You can choose between two, four, six, eight or 9 clusters. I opted to run the two cluster, 90w version for small, home propagation.

The spectrum is designed to give full and appropriate vegetative-only light to young plants, with superior penetration. An ingenious facet of the BM2 is its 450 Nm spectrum and it ability to help keep plants in veg during an 18 hour (sometimes less) vegetative light cycle. We all know of someone with that hard to tame strain that likes to turn early.

I've been experimenting with heights and placement of this light for a few months now, and as is recommended by Budmaster, two feet above vegetative plants is optimal. I even found this height to be perfect for the clones I've been rotating for that same time. Again though, please keep in mind that the claimed penetration on these things is legit, and two feet is as close as you'll want to be to the tops of your plants. I was even told to keep this particular light at up to five feet above seedlings, but found I was able to keep it as close as two feet for my Blue Dream seedlings.

At 12 1/2"x7 3/4" and 2 1/2" thick, I can fit this light almost anywhere. For those of us with a clone/veg shelving system, several of these can be hung side by side for broadened coverage, or placement of a single light for clones and mothers is perfect too. I found the spectrum and penetration are on a par (no pun intended) with the best lights on the market, and at two feet high the footprint to be 2'x 2'respectively. This is exactly what we need for mothers, and just right for a full tray of clones.

You will probably find as I did, that the all blue spectrum visible to us is intense, even strange at first. But the heat output is minimal, and keeping the door or curtain closed on your cabinet or shelving system is completely within reason, and I eventually grew to love the color. The two built-in fans are small but powerful and do a great job of removing heat from the unit. As is apparent in any high quality product, sturdy construction using quality material is employed in all Budmaster lights. Additionally, mine was obviously packaged by professionals who care and intended for their product to arrive in perfect condition from the UK.

Now, this version is just a prelude to the improved BM2 series of lights. While this light performs exceptionally, I can say without a doubt that with the enhancements and improvements of the upcoming series, we'll all be in for a treat. I hear that the height recommendations will be reduced, the coverage will be better and believe it or not, power consumption will be reduced while keeping its penetrative abilities. Stay tuned for more on that soon!

Again a big thank you to Budmaster for their contribution to this review!

BM2_AISO-500x5002_PS.jpg

DSC_095716.JPG

DSC_095613.JPG

DSC_096913.JPG

DSC_096713.JPG

DSC_096812.JPG

420 Magazine Review by: Aaron Quix, Product Reviewer
Budmaster Website: Budmaster

Back
Top Bottom