Flexibility of OMMA

HighWaterMark

I'm a 48 year old man who was in an airplane crash several years ago. The accident required three spinal surgeries to repair my vertebral column. The final operation was a lumbar fusion with a plate and screw fixation. It left me in severe pain. Failed back syndrome is the medical term.

The failed back syndrome in turn left me on prescribed daily narcotics. I hate the psychic feeling left by narcotics, but the pain is intractable without them. At present, it's the lesser of two evils.

My primary care physician supports me in this endeavor. Believe me, I know there are no guarantees in life, but from those who have experience with the OMMP does my clinical condition sound as though it would qualify me for medical marijuana?

It really depends on the letter of the law in the state (Oregon) you reside and your doctor. Most states have a bit of wording that allows conditions that are not spelled-out in the legislation, either those that are accompanied with severe and/or chronic pain or those that are "found to be helped or alleviated through the use of medical cannabis."

If you're in CA, for example, it seems like you'd have to go out of your way to NOT get a recommendation, lol, but some (most) states seem to be a little better at trying to keep the medical recommendations for medical need. Still and all, I would expect that you would qualify in most states that have a medicinal cannabis law. The fact that your doctor supports you in this is the main thing. If he/she is willing to put the recommendation in writing then you should be fine.

Just curious, but was it a large commercial aircraft, a puddle-jumper (commuter), or private plane?

It was a private Learjet.

Want to hear a bit of irony? Before my career change, I was a skydiving instructor. 2500+ trips up and down in planes held together with spit and duct tape. Never a problem. Then comes my first international business trip in a beautiful, cherried-out million dollar aircraft and bang!

Rats. That hurt.

Regarding your pain. You will have no problem getting your card. If you have any questions please email me at: warnerwh1@comcast.net. My wife has MS and they will give her all the narcotics she wants but she takes none for the obvious reasons. Just email me and I'll be happy to make sure you get your card.

Best Wishes

warnerwh, thanks for the kindness. I hope your wife is getting her medical therapy dialed in. I don't suffer from MS but I do understand how difficult the disease can be to manage. The autoimmune component is challenging in of itself.

Really, thanks for offering to help. I couldn't ask for more. Give my best to your wife.

Back
Top Bottom