Smog ridden beauties - A question regarding cleaning plants while still growing

libr8d

Hi all.

We've been having a really heavy smog problem. The smog isn't the type you'd find in LA. The smog is probably mainly fine dust. It's the third or fourth day. It's very heavy. Like a heavy fog all day (can barely see the sun or the hills around my house). I assume it's full of all types of 'crap'.

I've got 2 autos (my first go at them - both a month old and already flowering for a week or so) and a bagseed photo - on the balcony. Everything is covered with this gunk.

I gave them foliar (tea) a week prior to this (may have triggered the flowering) - so they were probably well covered with whatever I brewed (hopefully well made AACT) - could that be protecting them for taking in the stuff that landed with this smog?

I'm wondering. Should I try and clean them now? (once this thing clears - they say the readings are many times what is considered safe to breathe and no rain to clear it in sight.)

Should I spray the leaves with water & a possible something (eco washing liquid maybe or a diluted Sal Suds?).

I've never done a wash at the end of a grow (haven't grown much). I would assume it's a must now. Would that suffice? They were doing very well, and still are, apart from being covered in this pink/orangy powdery dust

Thank you for your time and patience.

I'll get back to tending my most wonderful 9months old daughter.

Love&blessings to you all.

libr8d (pron. liberated)

Go and buy industrial pre-filters and install them at your intake and exhaust. There are different levels and classifications of the said filters, just find competent shop and they would help you with the choice.

If it is really that bad I suggest to use the same filters for your home as well.

Go and buy industrial pre-filters and install them at your intake and exhaust. There are different levels and classifications of the said filters, just find competent shop and they would help you with the choice.

If it is really that bad I suggest to use the same filters for your home as well.

Thanks for the quick reply but the plants are outside on the balcony.

Well then there is no way to fix it unless you build something like small greenhouse for them and add the filters on the air openings.

Hello Libr8d

Check out this thread on bud washing

Bud Washing

I have started doing this with my indoor girls and will definitely be doing it with the outdoor ones as well when harvest time comes. It doesn't damage the bud, they dry quicker and seen to start curing quicker. It gets out a kinds of crap in the buds you don't even realize is in there, bugs, dust, mold spores etc.

And another bonus, if after washing, you let the water drain off for 30 mins or so, trimming is a breeze as your scissors stay clean and don't gum up with resin, but your hands will still get sticky LOL

You can spray the plants with water and a drop of detergent to wash the dust off :goodluck:

Since they've started flowering (and are growing quickly) - I was wondering if I should just wash the leaves (with water with a drop of eco detergent).

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably do both. Wash leaves now (once this smog goes - still going on....it's been days) and Wash buds at end.

Hello Libr8d

Check out this thread on bud washing

Bud Washing

I have started doing this with my indoor girls and will definitely be doing it with the outdoor ones as well when harvest time comes. It doesn't damage the bud, they dry quicker and seen to start curing quicker. It gets out a kinds of crap in the buds you don't even realize is in there, bugs, dust, mold spores etc.

And another bonus, if after washing, you let the water drain off for 30 mins or so, trimming is a breeze as your scissors stay clean and don't gum up with resin, but your hands will still get sticky LOL

Hey TheCelt,

I'll wait 'till the smog is gone (hopefully by next week.) then wash the leaves down (In the hope the plant doesn't "ingest" too much of the pollutants)

After harvest I'll go for a good bud wash.

Well then there is no way to fix it unless you build something like small greenhouse for them and add the filters on the air openings.

Hey Muncho1. I'm not trying to build a smog proof solution. Just wondering what's best for the plants and smoke now that they're covered with the stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom