How much nutrient per plant pot size?

peacefrog69

Greetings,

I have grown some plants outside. I am now going to try and grow some plants in 2 gallon pots inside.

I am wondering how I can calculate the optimal amount of nutrients to feed the plants given that I am watering the two gallon pots correctly. I use the "how heavy is the pot" method to determine if the plant needs water.

I will clarify the question as I have not found any good info on this after scouring google.

So yeah a lot of the manufacturers give their recipes usually per gallon (or liter) of water. So that's how you mix the nutrients. My question is how much of that mix would I use per gallon pot size?

I know this is relative to everyones experience but my assumption is that the plant can only take up x amount of nutrients so that is the amount you'd want to administer. You'd be at least just wasting money with more and not pushing your plant to the max with less.

Off hand I am thinking about 8 oz of nutrients per gallon pot size (eg: 16 oz per 2 gallon pot) but I'm looking for some evidence not just my best assumption based on how much dirt I think the nutes can propagate.

Yeah please let me know your thoughts on this and thanks!

Hi Peacefrog...

When you water a container of soil, you should water to saturation, that is till when the water starts coming out of the bottom. Most soils can hold about 2/3 of their volume of water, so you can expect a 2 gallon container to be able to hold approximately 6 quarts if it is completely dry. When you mix your nutrients, I would make up a couple of gallons worth at the rate that they suggest per gallon, and then see how much of that 6 quarts you can get in there.

Also, keep in mind that especially when they are young, it is ill advised to give full strength nutes at first, and most people suggest starting at half strength to see how their particular plants and the variety that they are growing responds to those nutes. Also note that most people do not give nutes every time, but alternate it with plain pH adjusted water in between, or even 2 out of 3 times.

I like it. Thanks!

Hi Peacefrog...

When you water a container of soil, you should water to saturation, that is till when the water starts coming out of the bottom. Most soils can hold about 2/3 of their volume of water, so you can expect a 2 gallon container to be able to hold approximately 6 quarts if it is completely dry. When you mix your nutrients, I would make up a couple of gallons worth at the rate that they suggest per gallon, and then see how much of that 6 quarts you can get in there.

Also, keep in mind that especially when they are young, it is ill advised to give full strength nutes at first, and most people suggest starting at half strength to see how their particular plants and the variety that they are growing responds to those nutes. Also note that most people do not give nutes every time, but alternate it with plain pH adjusted water in between, or even 2 out of 3 times.

Back
Top Bottom