Compost Tea Recipes

Cannabliss89

I've been researching more about compost teas recently and there is a lot of information out there and everyone has their own recipe or that one ingredient that makes it their own. I made this thread so people can share their recipes and discuss what works best for them. There are many different ways to make compost tea, the most recognized is aerating a simple mix of RO water, worm castings, and unsulphured molasses. Many people use a mix of different composts and/or a mix of different food stocks to feed the bacteria and/or fungi and to try an increase the diversity of the microbe population. Some like to feed a more bacteria dominated tea to the plant in the vegetative stage and a more fungi dominated tea while the plant is in flowering. Teas can be specially tailored to fit the needs of plants in different stages of growth, and many organic growers feed their plants using only teas. Teas can be simple or complex and if made the right way can harbor billions of helpful microbes that will improve your plants overall health. Let's share our recipes and our reasoning behind using them to help the newer growers who feel overwhelmed by the mass of information out there!

:Namaste:

i don't know if i can that really call tea, it's really basic and not so sophisticated like most of the recipes, only bacillus multiplikation to save money .... but it helped me a lot and nailed my ph (hydro, after first usage my ph stucks by 5.8 for several days, before usage, i had a 0.6 ph rise every 12 hours .....)

it's just 4l ro water, 8ml AN Voodoo juice, 8ml Pyranha and 8ml Tarantula (as those are utilizing bacillus and fungi which are working well for Hydro, no organic compost or anything used and definitely not suited for fertilizing ... basically you could multiply every bioactive root stimulant that way) and put a teaspoon molasses into it, then aerate it with a aquarium air pump for 24-48 hours at room temperature and let my nose decide when it's done.
it starts smelling like the molasses i used, then like something sour, a little bit like beer brewing and then finally it gets a note like the AN base products i used but stronger, with a light yellow, muddy tint in the liquid.

i'm using a cup per day (they will normally die after short time in hydro as the plant won't support them with sugar through the roots like it does in soil ...), pouring it into my reservoir / over the roots after letting them acclimate a little bit as i store them in a refrigerator.

target was to provide helpful bacillus and fungi while they eat away the food for any other unwanted guest and stimulate root growth while keeping them healthy at the same time.
and i got a stable ph as bonus that needs nearly no adjustments in a dwc with 3x big airstones and external res :)

as said, not the most sophisticated one but i like my hydro without worm castings, compost or manure stuff :Namaste:

I believe there's a thread exactly with the info you looking for out there already...

I use plain tap water with a corn SST in between. I just finished setting up my airlift brewer. Hoping I can get some compost in there.

Here's a few by some fairly well-known people.

Microbeman -

2 cups compost
1/2 cup unsulfured black strap molasses
3 Tbsp (max) kelp meal
12 mL fish hydrolysate

Extras:
1-2 Tbsp rock phosphatew granules/powder
3 Tbsp alfalfa meal
1 Tbsp pyrophyllite clay powder
Handful or 2 of canadian sphagnum peat moss Premier brand

Dr. Inghams -

1.5 pounds compost (1:1 fungi to bacteria compost)
3-4 Tbsp (45-60ml) humic acids
4 tsp (23g) dry soluble kelp or 2 Tbsp liquid kelp
3-4 tsp (15-20ml) fish hydrolysate

Compost junkie -

1/4 cup vermicompost (worm castings)
1/4 cup fungal-dominated compost
1/4 cup garden soil
1/4 cup forest soil
1.5 oz soluble unsulphured black strap molasses
1 oz soluble kelp
1 oz humic acids
1 oz fish hydrolysate