Basic soil recipe - I need one!

Let me apologize in advance for posting this twice in two different forums. I posted this in another forum here on the boards about organic soil, in doing my best to go through that form, it doesn't seem that gets near the traffic as this one does. So, I apologize. If the other one needs to be deleted, please feel free to do so. I know that there are a lot of different recipes, and waves to do organic soil. Being blind, the format of listing any ingredients is almost impossible for me to separate the different ingredients. The talkback feature on my phone clumps of them all together unless they are posted one per line and double space between each line. That allows the top back to catch up with itself before it tries to read another line.
I told you all that, to ask this...
I would like to compare the different recipes, and the things that make the one that you use the best for you... But with the problems described above, could some of you, or one of you please post the recipes with the ingredients and quantities of each ingredient listed one per line and double space between each ingredients line. Feel free to put it into 8 p.m. ... Whichever is most convenient.
Thank you in advance. God bless!

trying to learn to grow flowers organically.

Hi

I'm new and trying to learn about soil growing. Don't know if you already checked this thread but if not you should read it, it has good information aswell recipes from other members.

I am relatively new to this whole thing myself, but may be able to help a bit with my findings so far.

for a very basic soil mix that can get you started with few ingredients, i would recommend something similar to what I am using currently; but a more experienced member may have more input on the subject.

it consists of:

50% Organic Soil Mix - I use Sea Soil, Many people use Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil

25% Worm Castings

25% Perlite

a more basic recipe could replace the worm castings with more perlite.

my pots also have a layer of lava rock on the bottom to help with drainage, but that is not mandatory.

Perlite is necessary. its important for your soil to be loose so it has good drainage - this important step could save you many headaches in the future.

most recipes i have come across recommend anywhere from 25% to 50% perlite in your soil mix

to go 100% organic and only feed with water requires a more complex mix of organic nutrients and amendments;

the above recipe will require the use of nutrient feeding solutions to ensure that your plants receive everything they need!

for reference, I am using the BioBizz organic line with the soil listed above.

i hope my line spacing works ok for your text to talk feature.

Jueyman... thanks a ton for that link. Yes, I have read it. The problem is that those recipes are listed so that my phone can not read them. It has to be able to have a break between each ingredient, like a double space. That way, I can understand clearly exactly what each ingredient is in detail, instead of guessing. Awesome suggestion! Already done. Thanks again, it's appreciated.

Jueyman... thanks a ton for that link. Yes, I have read it. The problem is that those recipes are listed so that my phone can not read them. It has to be able to have a break between each ingredient, like a double space. That way, I can understand clearly exactly what each ingredient is in detail, instead of guessing. Awesome suggestion! Already done. Thanks again, it's appreciated.

Now I understand what you mean.

The one that mentioned by kingsnake seems to be a good one. From what I have read some people use.

1/3 S.peat moss ,

1/3 Compost(humus)

1/3 something for aeration like perlite,rice hulls,pumice, lava rock etc.

To that you can add minerals or other stuff to do. I will post what I used here but take in mind I'm also beginner and basically made a

recipe by reading threads in this forum.

I used

50% compost

25% Lava rock

25% worm casting

To that I added

crab shell

Kelp meal

egg shell

bat guano

neem meal

rock dust

And probably will add some alfalfa meal.

Thanks a bunch, king snake. That does give me a good basic soil, as far as what I read about. And yes, you are right. So all amendments will be he did. I just don't know what, and how much of each that I will need. You gave me a good start. I appreciate it a lot!

no problem!

the ingredients at the end of Jueyman's post are all organic amendments that can be added and are a good place to start researching in that department.

i also want to grow organic, and the local hydro shop recommended biobizz, its a liquid nutrient you add to your water when you feed, so far its going well for me, so that may be an option for you as well.

Jueyman... that ingredient list is posted just the way I needed it. Thank you very much! Hopefully we will get a few more recipes, so that comparison can be done. I am NOT trying to be lazy by not reading other posts and threads... I just hate going through them, sorting through the unnecessary and unhelpful posts, only to find out that there is minimal information, or none at all.
KingSnake... Thanks for the lead on that product. I'll do some research on it, if possible. I'm glad it's working out well for you.

Jueyman... that ingredient list is posted just the way I needed it. Thank you very much! Hopefully we will get a few more recipes, so that comparison can be done. I am NOT trying to be lazy by not reading other posts and threads... I just hate going through them, sorting through the unnecessary and unhelpful posts, only to find out that there is minimal information, or none at all.
KingSnake... Thanks for the lead on that product. I'll do some research on it, if possible. I'm glad it's working out well for you.

I understand , I felt like that when I started to search for threads. It can be very overwhelmed. However I recommend you to check some journals that use soil. You can get valuable information from them.

There's no need to mix compost with worm castings as composition is very similar, and both provide healthy biota for your soil. I used to grow with a lot of compost, but I switched to High Brix soil, which means I stick to around 10-20% of it in my soil, and it works much better. So you put that one or the other one, otherwise you have too much life going on and not enough food for the microbes.

Back
Top Bottom