How to go about soil-making?

SouthAfricano

Ok, so commercial potting soil (even tho organic) has a bit of a tendency to be a bit too hot. I get burn it sometimes, and pH problems on others, and each bag is different, and I just don't f-ing like it cause I'm a control freak and I want to have each and every detail under my control, including soil...

Soooooo I gotta make my own somehow. Now how do I go about this? Basically I want a 'base' to which I can add other amendments to... What do I use? Bear in mind I live in South Africa so some things MAY not be available to me. Perlite for instance I have to order online if I want it. What substitutes are there to perlite btw?

Hey buddy u can try worm farming u get castings and worm wee.Castings will help u make a rich black loam,u can also start a compost pile u can put bark fines in there to decompose.Once composted they can be added to ur media to help ( open ) the media improve drainage.U can put practically anything (organic ) was once living in compost.A friend of mine used to go to a chook farm and shovel his own shit into trailer.Cage egg birds.The farmer was happy he didnt have as much cleaning in that shed.They keep birds for 100 days then get rid of then.So if u keep track of birds u no wen u can get shit.Also u can buy birds for 5 bucks get free eggs and shit. Win win.Always compost first to ensure no burning. In compost u need carbon twigs sticks etc.As it compost s it is actually alive keep moist turn over wen u feel like. Can add blood and bone at beginning helps kik it along and helps replace some of nitrogen being drawn out from bark fines(woodchips ).Good luck champ all the best.Theres a little more effort in organic but results will speak for them selves,plus knowing its 100% organic lovely

SouthAfricano, if you can post a list of potential ingredients that are available to you, that would be helpful.

The thread that Weaselcracker posted the link to changed my life. If you're serious about making your own soil, there's no end to the amount of control-freakishness you can exert, and that thread is a great place to get started.

As far as perlite substitutes: I've seen rice hulls, vermiculite, pumice, and lava rock mentioned in various places. Another substitute: grow in a fabric container. They breathe enough that you can cut down or eliminate the aeration in soil.

Featherdusta, all the kitty litter I've ever seen is made of clay (bentonite, specifically). It holds tons of moisture but not air. In fact, it swells up when it gets wet, so it would probably actually push air out of the soil.

Back
Top Bottom