Earth Juice & pH issues

Kip22

Hi all

I'm having PH issues with Earth Juice nutes and wondering how to address it long term so I don't end up here again. I thought when I started I would not have to PH adjust using organic nutes and soil it but its turning out not to be the case. I've made the PH adjustments for now and will wait and see if things get better.

My medium is 50% pro mix, 25 % coco, and 25% Organic sea soil. Nutes are Earth Juice grow, Bloom, and cal mag. I didn't have issues till I started the bloom about week 3.

My plan till I sort out a better one is to adjust the water and nutes to about 6.5 before feeding/watering.

I'm thinking now I'm somewhere between an organic soil mix and a soil less medium rather than an organic soil which I was treating it as and got me into probs in the first place.

Should I adjust my medium to make it more soil so I don't have to deal with PH issues?

Should I treat this mix going forward as a soil less medium and adjust nutes regularly?

Or another option?

Thanks!

:Namaste:

I have found using coco peet 60% perlite 20% and vermiculite 20%. Is doing well. Add nutrients then get ph right. So many different suggestions. I was going for 6.5 ph. Now gone to 6.0 ph. Some recommendations are 5.5 to 6.5 . The middle seems to work for me.

Sent from my SM-G800H using 420 Magazine Mobile App

420-magazine-mobile173603896.jpg

Sent from my SM-G800H using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Well I did get this sorted out and now my ladies are on the road to recovery although slowly. I switched nutes to the Flora Trio. Even after PH'ing my earth juice nutes to a 6.5 things didn't seem to be getting better. Switching to Flora made an improvement within a couple days. Obvious new growth, leaves reaching up again....

Someone chime in if you think I'm off track but I think this was the issue: I was using an almost soiless medium with organic nutes. The plants did well initially feeding off the 25% compost they started in but around 5 weeks in that was almost depleted and they needed nutes.
With a fully organic compost medium the bugs are supposed to break down the nutes, buffer the PH, and during the breakdown provide your plants the usable nutrients. Because I was almost soilless this didn't happen and my PH was way out to boot. I was having trouble figuring out the deficiency because I was getting signs of many. Mainly phosphorus though.

I haven't given up on organic but I think I bit off more than I could chew for a first go here. I unwittingly thought organic would be easier and simpler.

When I bubble earth juice like I'm making a tea, I've found that the ph will go up on its own.

How long till you see a rise in PH typically and what is the typical PH of you finished solution ??? I've been bubbling my first batch for almost 48 hr and it won't go above 3.7

My current bubble is :
R/O Water 6.8 PH 25ppm
EJ Grow - 3 Tsp per gal
EJ Micro Blast - .5 Tsp per gal
EJ Catalist - 1 Tsp per gal

Yeah to truly have your PH be balanced by soil life I always recommend mixing a no till soil up. As the soil cooks it breaks down all the nutrients and increases the microbe content which therefore balances the PH on its own. With any bottled nutrient, organic or not, you can expect to have to balance PH the old fashion way, at least in my experience.

How long till you see a rise in PH typically and what is the typical PH of you finished solution ??? I've been bubbling my first batch for almost 48 hr and it won't go above 3.7

My current bubble is :
R/O Water 6.8 PH 25ppm
EJ Grow - 3 Tsp per gal
EJ Micro Blast - .5 Tsp per gal
EJ Catalist - 1 Tsp per gal

I just came across this old thread. I only used the EJ grow and bloom. Once I bubbled for about 4 days by accident. The PH was low, about 4.5 and I don't know why. Anywho, All I do now is use fox farm ocean forest and put about a tablespoon of dolomite lime per gallon of dirt. I never check or adjust PH anymore.

Back
Top Bottom