super soil

Ganesh20

i found this recipe for organic soil in another magazine for bud (not mentioning the name)
it's supposedly the same soil the medical growers use for there meds,and theres quite a few growers using it in the Emerald Triangle.

-8 large bags of high quality organic potting soil w/coco fibers & mycorrhizare(sp?)
-25-50 lbs. of organic wormcastings
5 lbs. steamed bonemeal
5 lbs. bloombat guano
5 lbs. bloodmeal
3 lbs. rock phosphate
3/4 cu. epsom salt
1/2 cu. sweet lime (dolomite)
1/2 cu. azomite (trace elements)
2 tbsp. powdered humic acid
one of those small kitty pools you get at your local retail store

pour a few bags of base soil into your mixing container first. making a mound,then pour the powder nutrients in a circle around the mound, then cover everything in another bag of soil.

In goes bat guano, then more soil. Add 3 gallons of water to each garbage can.
let mixture sit in sun for 30 days for brewing & best concentration of your goods.

when ready to transplant your seedlings into its final grow bucket, fill half the bucket with the super soil (on bottom) then put the organic soil on top.
As plants mature, roots push through the regular soil and down into the super soil to absorb all those nutrients needed for its life cycle. no extra fertilizers or blooming agents needed at all!

im about to try this method myself with a nice selection of strains:
White Rhino,Big Bang,Lemon Skunk,Super Silver Haze,Hawaiian Snow, L.A. Confidential, TrainWreck,Big Bud, & Grandaddy Purple.
can't wait for this grow season to start in texas!

Re: "subcool's super soil"

I've seen that a quite a few people have looked on my thread and i was just wondering if maybe some of you could tell me how you do your organic mixtures or your methods, im an ammature but have been reading up and studying on this plant for 5 yrs. now, but i still have a lot to learn, and i think the best way would be for other growers to pitch in there thoughts and processes.

I'd appreciate it very much!:rollit:

It sounds like a good mix. Everyone likes their own recipe. I would use Peruvian Seabird guano instead. As for psending cash on high quality soil at first. I dont know about that one. You are going to be making your own high quality composted soil so why bother wasting money when you are amending it anyways? I would use a local compost blend, add perlite instead of coco-coir. Doesnt dolomitic lime have cal and mag in it as well? So why bother with the epsom salts. !/2 cup of dolomitic lime seems minute in 8 (I assume 1.5cuft soil bags)

Is this for a potted grow or in the ground. I add gypsum to my soil to loosen it up for the ground. Perlite for pots. I dont find the need to add vermiculite or something like coco-coir to retain moisture if it is a compost that contains canadian sphagnum peat moss and composted forest humus.

As for the mycorrhizae you can buy that in 1lb powdered cans and add it. I like to use Peace-Of-Mind as it contains almost everything listed in that supersoil recipe. You could buy 4lb boxes of that (made by fox farms) for around $10 and you would probably have a better idea of your soils' nute levels. Not only that the Fox Farms tells you exactly how much to add to the soil if you are making a mix.

I could ramble on all day about this LOL. I dont follow any one mixture. I do have a few recipes written down and I attempt to follow it. Problem is the 30-45 days to compost. Constantly turning the mix to aerate.

I do use it though. I like compost teas alot just because it takes 1-2 days to make. Watch out if you add worm castings to compost tea and how long you brew it. Ever smelled worms left in a container after fishing and you forget about it for a day or two? Worm castings can stink like sewage when used in teas. Best to mulch it into the ground as soon as youre done with brewing.

thank you for the info greenlove! i just relayed the recipe from the magazine onto the site, even though it was a yr. old issue.

very true on the soil part, why spend the money on organic soil if im making it!! lol

i would like to see more replys, not begging or anything, im just very curious,& not only do i want great smoke this season, but i want happy organic plants. not plants pumped full of chemicals and whatnot. Everyone on this site is very intelligent on this subject, and i know you all could help me out.

p.s. has anyone tried the coloured seed packs from greenhouse? id like to also know how they did because thats what i have (white rhino,lemon skunk,hawaiian snow,Big Bang, & the famous Super Silver Haze)

thank you for the info greenlove! i just relayed the recipe from the magazine onto the site, even though it was a yr. old issue.

very true on the soil part, why spend the money on organic soil if im making it!! lol

i would like to see more replys, not begging or anything, im just very curious,& not only do i want great smoke this season, but i want happy organic plants. not plants pumped full of chemicals and whatnot. Everyone on this site is very intelligent on this subject, and i know you all could help me out.

p.s. has anyone tried the coloured seed packs from greenhouse? id like to also know how they did because thats what i have (white rhino,lemon skunk,hawaiian snow,Big Bang, & the famous Super Silver Haze)

Hey Ganesh20!

That's an interesting mix, but the portions are huge! 50 lbs of worm castings?? I can only imagine how much that would smell!

Anyway, just my opinion but the mix you listed sounds a lot like Fox Farm's ocean forest potting soil mix, which is readily available at any decent nursery.

I only work with organic soils and nutes and I've had good results with their line of products. They focus on the same ingredients -- worm castings, and use bat guano in their nutes.

I usually cut the potting soil with 1/4 or 1/3 perlite for drainage, and I usually add 1/6 to 1/8 vermiculite to avoid dry spots and to help if water drains too fast.

I would highly recommend sourcing the absolutely best suppliers if you want to mix your own soil up -- one bad vendor who sells you a product full of contaminates or unwanted microcrobes, pests, etc... can ruin your whole garden. That's why I just stick to ready made potting soil from companies I've researched and that I trust.

Organic gardening is ideal, in my opinion, as when it is done carefully the chances of nute burn are pretty much zero. I can understand high doses of harsh chemical ferts for prize-winning roses or something, but no one is rolling up the rose petals and trying to smoke them after the contest is won... big difference. :rollit:

i would like to see more replys, not begging or anything,

You want more replies ... start a grow journal with a descriptive or catchy subject line. Something that says if you are using subcool's super soil and/or the strain names, etc.

Good luck with the grow.

I also drooled over sub's recipe, but I used biobizz all-mix soil straight from the bag. It's organic and lightened up with perlite for good drainage. It has almost no N, so I had to supplement that.

I get the same pack friend! Planted one of each, vegged for 5 weeks, Been flowering for 9 days and all showing Pistils! Hawaiian Snow is SOOOO Sativa! :cheer:
Lemon Skunk Smells :yummy: and White Rhino Sounds Killer! About six more weeks I be harvesting Big Bang and WR I will let you know! :yahoo:

Subcool's mixture is basically perfect and completely foolproof. My comment would be why use a cheap soil? Roots is only like 10 bucks a bag anyway.... Also this mix will make 90 + gallons of soil. The recipe you have listed from the high times article is outdated. Subcool has been tweeking this recipe for 20 yrs, so it is advisable to follow it. This guy knows what he is doing and breeds some great genetics. Here is a video with subcool, making his super soil.

YouTube - super soil.MOV

adding amendments to amended potting soil will burn your plants. this sounds like something to do when reusing soil. I like coco thinking about trying coconot. lol I was look at the box nutes in the vid yesterday. I was think about using them for my outdoor garden. Big boxes of guanos and the fish meal for flowering looks killer. Cool I'll pick them up. the dude at the store was pushing me to the over priced liquids on they didnt get a dime from me lol. Is for out door growing and this could be my uncle?

adding amendments to amended potting soil will burn your plants. this sounds like something to do when reusing soil. I like coco thinking about trying coconot. lol I was look at the box nutes in the vid yesterday. I was think about using them for my outdoor garden. Big boxes of guanos and the fish meal for flowering looks killer. Cool I'll pick them up. the dude at the store was pushing me to the over priced liquids on they didnt get a dime from me lol. Is for out door growing and this could be my uncle?

I highly disagree with you. Super Soil will only work with weed anything else it will get burned!!!! All your basically doing with super soil is upping the amounts of organic nutes that are already in your soil. Their is a whole thread on this, and im sure it would give all of you that have no clue about it a real idea of just how good SS is.

Ps: Yes it can be used outdoors Sub doesnt do much outdoor growing but i think hes venturing into it.

I've been using the Subcool Super Soil for about 6 grows now. I put about 1.5 gallons of th Super Soil in the bottom of a 6-gallon bucket. I then use a version of Moonshine Mix, which for me is equal parts sphagnum peat moss, Fox Farm Ocean Forest, Fox Farm Planting Mix, and add some dolomitic lime and Fox Farm Peace of Mind (about 1 shot glass per bucket). Takes the plant all the way through the cycle with just water and the yield is fantastic.

For those of you wanting to spend about 100 bucks and only do about 10 - 15 5 gallon plants here is the breakdown. And be sure to see subcools video on youtube on how to transplant into the supersoil. :tokin:

Transplanting link>> YouTube - Transplanting.wmv

>1/3 Batch (4 cubic feet)

2.7 - Large bags (1.5 cubic ft. ea) of High quality Organic soil with Mycorrhizae
(i.e. Roots Organic)

8-16 lbs. Worm Castings
1.7 lbs. Steamed Bone Meal (0-10-0)
1.7 lbs. Bat Guano (Fruit Bat)
1.7 lbs. Blood Meal
1# Rock Phosphate
1/4 cup Epsom Salts
1/3 cup sweet lime (dolomite powder)
1/3 Cup Azomite (Trace Elements)
2 tsp. Powdered Humic Acid

Soil - 3 Bags Roots @ $19 ea = $57
Worm Castings 30 lbs. @ $17
Bone Meal - Happy Frog Steamed Bone Meal 4 lbs $7.99
Bat Guano - 2.2 lbs $8.00
Blood Meal - 2.75 lbs $4.99
Rock Phosphate - 10 lbs $8.99
Epsom Salts - 48 oz. $2.99
Sweet Lime (dolomite powder) 5 lbs $7.95
Azomite 2 lbs $6.00
Powdered Humic Acid 1 lb $8.25

Total for amendments only: $72.16
Roots Soil (3 bags) $57
Total = $129.16

Your Welcome :grinjoint:

Cona

I can't recommend Subcool's supersoil mix highly enough. It virtually takes the guesswork out of soil-based substrates, and results in yields comparable to hydroponic approaches, with a sweeter, kinder, organic bud.

when u here somebody say that this soil is not as good as********, u're listening to someone that hasn't used it, or didn;t mix it properly. after growing almost 30yrs hydro, i just finished up my 1st successful soil grow & i'm telling u IT WORKS. the reason why subcool is still tweaking it is because he's breeding new strains & he changes it up for specific new strains.

I've been using the Subcool Super Soil for about 6 grows now. I put about 1.5 gallons of th Super Soil in the bottom of a 6-gallon bucket. I then use a version of Moonshine Mix, which for me is equal parts sphagnum peat moss, Fox Farm Ocean Forest, Fox Farm Planting Mix, and add some dolomitic lime and Fox Farm Peace of Mind (about 1 shot glass per bucket). Takes the plant all the way through the cycle with just water and the yield is fantastic.

Hey elfstone,

I read your post above, and I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about the super soil and your own additions to the mix.
1. Have you grown using just the super soil? If so, what were your results in comparison to your new amended super soil?
2. Why did you decide to add to the super soil?
3. When you use the super soil, do you need to pH your water to make sure it is at a certain level? If so, which level?
4. Do you add any extra nutes in your water with the super soil or super soil + ffof, dolomitic lime, ffpom?

Thanks,
mises890

Hey elfstone,

I read your post above, and I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about the super soil and your own additions to the mix.
1. Have you grown using just the super soil? If so, what were your results in comparison to your new amended super soil?
2. Why did you decide to add to the super soil?
3. When you use the super soil, do you need to pH your water to make sure it is at a certain level? If so, which level?
4. Do you add any extra nutes in your water with the super soil or super soil + ffof, dolomitic lime, ffpom?

Thanks,
mises890

1: Yes. Results Depend On Alot Of Factors Just Like Any Other Grow.
Good Water, Topping Your Soil With What It Needs(Which Is Why I Use Tea In Late Flowering)
2: No Just Followed The Instructions But at some Point i didnt Put enough P/K in my mix Thats why i supplement with tea late flowering
3: No i do not PH my water and you dont need to. PH isnt nearly as important in organics as it is in other grows. Theres a reason for all the ingredients in the soil. Some are natural PH buffers. Just let your water Declorinate( If thats a word lol) with bubbles or sitting 2-3 days
4: Already answered BUT REALLY I MUST SAY ITS ALL ABOUT QUALITY NOT QUANTITY Although my yields are still pretty solid 2-4 Oz but im sure people get much more that and heres my pics
Sour Cream:
sc.jpg
sc7.jpg

sc10.jpg

Romulan Taken a few days ago:
DSCN3153.jpg
DSCN3145.jpg
DSCN3166.jpg
DSCN3167.jpg

Plushberry Close Ups:
pb2.jpg

pb3.jpg

Grape Soda:
DSCN2833.jpg

Viet Kong Chemo:
DSCN2981.jpg
DSCN2982.jpg
DSCN2979.jpg
samp2.jpg
samp3.jpg

I can post more pics if needed

i ordered those, but ended up receiving 11, white Russian seeds from serious seeds instead. i honestly don't know weather to be happy or sad.

Just started learning about this super soil now, I couldnt find all of those ingredients where I am but I have found most and made a smaller version of the mix, Just started using it now. I will put the end progress in this thread.

Any input on recipe is welcome!!

The 45L Super Soil Mix is:
- 11L John Innes No2
- 11L John Innes No2 strong mix, also with coco
- 11L Horse Manure Compost
- 10L Perlite
- 400g Worm Castings
- 500g Fish, Bone, Blood Meal
- 100g Garden Lime
- 200g Sea Bird Guano
- 75g Mycorrhizal Fungi
- 1 Tbsp Epsom Salts
- 1 Tbsp Calcium Carbonate

Quite a mix but ill only be feeding water and compost tea's when needed. The Compost tea is mixed in 1 Gallon Container with one air stone in the bottom. The soil and other ingredients are put into a womans stocking and tied to the top while the molasses is added straight to the water and mixed for 48hr.

Compost tea mix 1 Gallon .

Veg Mix:
- 1/2 Cup John Innes Compost
- 1 Tbsp Worm Castings
- 1 Tsp Molasses

Flower Mix:
- 1/2 Cup John Innes Compost
- 1 Tbsp Sea Bird Guano
- 1 Tbsp Molasses

The Veg compost tea mix is bubbling and will be sprayed over the Veg super soil mix so it can cook for 3-4 weeks in a 70(approx)Liter bucket. The seedlings will be germinated in water and put into small pots in the john innes No2 base (No super soil for young seeds).

Back
Top Bottom