Nutrient burn - Too much kelp extract and slow release nutes

123ThatsMe

I've recently started growing my first plants and mixed slow release nutes into my soil and used way too much kelp extract on my plants.

A week in I started noticing the tips of the leaves on one of my plants sagging down and becoming a darkish black/green colour. The next day the plant was half dead along with another seedling which died over night. I can only assume it was nitrogen toxicity from the kelp and nutes.

So I replanted all my plants in plain top soil, even though I was careful I think I might have done some damage to a few of the roots.

How do I help my plants recover? I'm assuming I should stay away from nutes and chemicals for a few days so how do I help the seedlings now, what would you recommend my feeding/caretaking regimen should be from here on until flowering?

They're currently under 3 20 Watt CFL's 3000K, 4000K and 6500K - I know it should be blue for veg and red for flowering but I'm a bit stretched on budget and light options where I live so I'm making due. Where I live the water ph is around 6.5-8. I'll probably only be keeping 2 or 3 plants, also I'm pretty sure the strain is skunk but I just used some cheap outdoor bag seed.
20160620_103832.jpg

They look pretty rough. I don't think it was n toxicity, that would be real dark green leaves with the tips curling downward. What did the roots look like when you transplanted them, and how often were you watering? Could be nute burn (adding nutes too soon, seedlings contain all the nutrients they need in those first small leaves for abut 2 weeks) or over watering or a combination of both.

Only one plant had roots longer than an inch and they looked very light yellowish and thin. I watered them about twice a day with a spraying can on mist so about 500ml but I also gave them over concentrated kelp extract twice or three times in that one week, also the leaf had had a dark green tips that curled down before they became brown. I noticed the healthy plants with no dark green discoloration had dark brown stems whilst the others had yellow thin stems however about only 3/4 out of the 8 plants were affected and this one was the worst - the other had the discoloration but I changed the soil a day ago and now I'm waiting to see what happens to them next.

You overwatered them, cannabis in veg should be watered every 3-4 days. You water it when it's completely dry, not sooner.

Not sure how that happened. Every time I watered them i stuck my finger down in the ground as far as I could and made sure it was dry plus there never came a drop of water out of the bottom of the container nor did they ever have droopy leaves. I just watered them twice a day because it was with a small 500ml spray can on mist and would dry out quick but the ground was never soaked.

This is the discoloration I was talking about - dark on the outer edges
20160620_122733.jpg

What would you recommend I do now? I've replanted all my plants in plain soil and gave them a spray down with a bit of water. How long should I wait / how long should the ground be dry before I water them again? Also should I water them with a can or foliar spray and is there anything I can do about transplant shock without giving them more kelp extract or other things that may cause an excess of nutes because I think their roots may have gotten a little damage with the replanting?

All you can do now is wait and see how they react over the next few days. That pic looks more like necrosis then nute burn. The roots are very delicate over watering leads to root rot in seedling. Depending on how sever the damage is to the roots it may or may not recover. Hope this helps

Thanks for the help. I forgot to add I replanted 3 seedlings from my garden to get them out of the rain (winter here) and over night they fell flat and one of them started to develop the same black leaves was dead the next morning, not sure if that makes a difference but that's mainly why I thought it could be nute or chemical related. Anyways I'm gonna leave them a bit and I'll water them in a day or two when they look thirsty again. There's luckily still one or two healthy ones, or at least I think so...
20160620_131207_1.jpg

Thanks for the help. I forgot to add I replanted 3 seedlings from my garden to get them out of the rain (winter here) and over night they fell flat and one of them started to develop the same black leaves was dead the next morning, not sure if that makes a difference but that's mainly why I thought it could be nute or chemical related. Anyways I'm gonna leave them a bit and I'll water them in a day or two when they look thirsty again. There's luckily still one or two healthy ones, or at least I think so...
20160620_131207_1.jpg
I would wait longer then a day or 2. The soil looks wet in the pics i would wait at least at the bare minimum 5 to 6 days then check the pot before thinking about watering. Their roots need to grow. As your soil is drying up the roots will stretch in search of water. Cannabis prefers wet/dry cycles.

Some would argue its actually a good thing to let the plants dry out to the point where they start to droop a little bit in between watering in veg. The reason being is that when the plant starts to need water it puts its energy into stretching its roots. This can help build a bigger, better root system. I'm not saying let the thing wilt up just try to really make sure your pots are dry before watering and it will be beneficial. Just my 2 cents.

Peace

If i were you, i would transplant them into new soil, without nutes, little perlite and cihcken shit mybe, and hope them survive. Only water if needed. Seedlins usually dosent want nutrients, atleast one and half week in my opinion.

How big is that container they are in? Does the whole thing get wet when you use the spray bottle. I overpotted mine and had similar issues plus extremely stunted growth due to the roots drowning. Put them in smaller containers to control the waterings better or assume the roots are about as wide as the canopy and water only that spot until the roots are big enough to drink more. Some like to water just outside that zone to make the roots reach for it. Later you will know just by picking up the container.

Sent from my SM-N910V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom