Is this a complete super soil?

ma420

420 Member
Hey All. I've been reading a bunch about living soils recently and want to try one myself. I just have a small, personal grow, which makes building a super soil costly. I happened upon an organic farm within range of my house and they sell what appears to me to be a super soil ready to go. I'll post the recipe.I know I could tweak it to personalize it, and I would need to deal with aeration and drainage, but if this is either complete or a huge jump start to buying everything separately, it would save me a bunch of money. I'm looking at the raised bed mix. Any input is much appreciated.

Recipe:

Rhode Island's Oldest Operating Farm Composter
A Wholistic Farm
The best way to increase the nutrient content in your garden or landscape installation is to add microorganism-rich compost.
To create our compost we blend farm animal such as horse, chicken, cow, sheep, goat and rabbit; these manures are combined with whatever bedding material was used such as sawdust, wood shavings or straw. We also mix in elephant, camel and other exotic manures from Roger Williams Park Zoo. Our main bulking agent is leaf and wood chips, which we receive from local landscapers and towns. This bulking base is then mixed with clean gurry (fish scraps), shell fish, spent mushroom growing medium, seaweed, coffee grinds, wood ash and a wide variety of food scraps from restaurants and institutions(from The Compost Plant). These ingredients are blended, mixed and turned in an aerobically-managed compost process on our farm. It takes approximately 12-18 months before the ingredients are properly cured. The mature, finished, black compost bares little resemblance to the ingredients it was made from other than bits of shellfish. We then screen the compost to 3/8".

Use our ​Raised Bed Mix when filling your raised bed garden and large containers. It is a premium blend comprised of 80% ECF screened compost mixed with 20% peat moss and small amounts of greensand, rock phosphate, colloidal phosphate, oyster meal, kelp meal, langbenite, vegetable protein meal, dried whey, humates and natural nitrate of soda. Ready to plant directly in and can be grown in for two years without any further additions.

We also have a Potting Soil blend for germinating mixes, greenhouse growing, window boxes, and small container pots. Comprised of 50% ECF compost and 50% peat moss with a small amount of azomite, rock phosphate, and the organic fertilizer blend listed for our RBM. Requires less watering and shows more stable, vigorous growth than other products on the market. Our 1 cu ft bags of potting soil are available at some of our bag dealers.

It sounds good but if you really want to know whats in it you could buy 1 cuft and get a soil test for $17-25 or ask if they have done their own soil test.

Back
Top Bottom