Do I need Cal Mag in soil with organic nutrients and LED light?

Do i need Cal mag in my soil when i grow in soil with led light? If yes how much and how often?

Sent from my SGP311 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

From what I hear you do.

Cal/Mag... for organic soil should be the ?? answer not supplemental, which I think is your question. All soil will have Ca and Mg already in it.. impossible to not have it in there.

So what you are asking is do we need to add "CAL/MAG" - which is some store bought bottled thing... answer is NO.

If you have a proper soil mix you should not have Ca/Mg deficiencies.

I run organic soil and use LED lighting... occasionally I will have a plant that begins yellowing early to mid way in flower. A little too early. What I do is mix up a compost tea.. say 1 cup of EWC (worm castings) with a 1/2 cup of kelp meal.. bubble or stir let sit over night and water in. This will work great and I generally do that anyway so I don't wait until I have issues with soil which is very rare.

I'd recommend adding cal/mag with led use, soil coco doesn't matter. I've seen what led do to plants that haven't been supplemented with cal/mag compared to MH (metal halides) you get the magnesium deficiency not right away but when the girls start getting bigger while taking up more nutrients, and water depends an what nutrient line up you use I'm sure. Personally I go with the full E.J nutrient line up . (Earth juice for those who don't know ) my buddy runs the same setup as me and he didn't have cal/mag in his line up an we notice the difference between the two grows. We both had same strains too. He chose to go with Epsom salt for adding his cal/mag just recently I'll let you guys know how they're doing.

What science points to a Ca/Mg deficiency happening due to a light source?? I'd love to read an article explaining how that is possible.

An Mg deficiency .... looking and thinking back on physics/Chemistry/Biology that we should have all had a class or 3 in.
There's only 1 molecule of Mg in the molecular structure of Chlorophyll.

Molecular formula of Chlorophyll is : C55H72O5N4Mg < -- Only 1 Mg atom there on the end.

So back to Physics/Chemistry, "a molecule can not be created or destroyed" (unless nuclear physics). Where would the Mg atom go if there was a deficiency? What would happen to Chlorophyll if there was no Mg atom (creating a deficiency)?

My point is:
Very very difficult to have a lack of Mg since a plant requires very very little. I would also suggest that adding in Mg to a container of soil can cause an Mg toxicity that looks very very similar to a Ca deficiency. Add more Cal/Mag causing more issues..... necrosis.

My suggestion would be to look for a water soluble form of Ca if you're sure you have a Ca deficiency or scratch in a cup or 2 of worm castings with some kelp meal.

Adding in Calcium Carbonate or any of its forms during a grow would be a fools errand at best. Best thing is to have these elements in the soil when plants go in the ground. There are several forms of Ca - short medium and long term release and all should be incorporated prior to planting.

Earth Juice?? Is that some form of Compost Tea??

I had some pretty bad issues in soil which cal-mag fixed. When I took a break from growing I sold one of my Mars LED lights to a friend who used it for hydro tomatoes. He had similar problems with them. I gave him some calmag and it fixed them up almost overnight.

What science points to a Ca/Mg deficiency happening due to a light source?? I'd love to read an article explaining how that is possible.

An Mg deficiency .... looking and thinking back on physics/Chemistry/Biology that we should have all had a class or 3 in.

Molecular formula of Chlorophyll is : C55H72O5N4Mg < -- Only 1 Mg atom there on the end.

So back to Physics/Chemistry, "a molecule can not be created or destroyed" (unless nuclear physics). Where would the Mg atom go if there was a deficiency? What would happen to Chlorophyll if there was no Mg atom (creating a deficiency)?

My point is:
Very very difficult to have a lack of Mg since a plant requires very very little. I would also suggest that adding in Mg to a container of soil can cause an Mg toxicity that looks very very similar to a Ca deficiency. Add more Cal/Mag causing more issues..... necrosis.

My suggestion would be to look for a water soluble form of Ca if you're sure you have a Ca deficiency or scratch in a cup or 2 of worm castings with some kelp meal.

Adding in Calcium Carbonate or any of its forms during a grow would be a fools errand at best. Best thing is to have these elements in the soil when plants go in the ground. There are several forms of Ca - short medium and long term release and all should be incorporated prior to planting.

It's just a brand of nutrients, and yes you can make teas out of this.

I had some pretty bad issues in soil which cal-mag fixed. When I took a break from growing I sold one of my Mars LED lights to a friend who used it for hydro tomatoes. He had similar problems with them. I gave him some calmag and it fixed them up almost overnight.

I grow tomatoes in soil too .. never used Cal/Mag on em... same with cannabis. Don't have issues.

I'm thinking the cal/mag stuff is good for Hydro and not so good for soil??

I use some cal-mag plus in soil here because our city has a reverse osmosis plant to treat the slightly brackish water we have from one water source. I just use it at about 1/3 to 1/2 strength, since there is crab shell and lime in my mix. Otherwise I tend to get a deficiency later in flowering, especially on certain heavier feeders.

Soil likely deficient in Ca.. EWC + Kelp meal are your friends. Soil wont be deficient in Mg for plants... I would say almost impossible on Mg deficit.

So Ca shortage is the usual suspect. Cannot add lime or its relatives unless its SOLUBLE ... other wise you will likely change the PH enough to cause lockouts of other nutrients and the end would be near!

My point is:

Soil likely deficient in Ca.. EWC + Kelp meal are your friends. Soil wont be deficient in Mg for plants... I would say almost impossible on Mg deficit.

So Ca shortage is the usual suspect. Cannot add lime or its relatives unless its SOLUBLE ... other wise you will likely change the PH enough to cause lockouts of other nutrients and the end would be near!
Well said Bobrown14.

What on earth are you talking about? Molecules are created and dismantled all the time. That's chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom