PH question - Tap water is 8.9 - Clackimus Coots Organic Soil

HazePhase

Hello everyone,
I had a quick question and I was hoping to get some help from some experienced individuals.

I was told with my soil I don't need to keep adjusting my PH.
(Clackimus Coots Organic Soil but with added dolomite lime)

I was adjusting it down with Lemon juice to 6.5 but I just watered in my Coots Organic soil with dolomite lime and my water was 8.9 - 9.1 PH tap water.
Is that going to be an issue?
Would I be better lowering the PH with something other than organic lemon juice?
Any other tips or tricks?

On week two since breaking through ground.
Thanks Everyone

U can use lemon juice (fresh) or vinigar or ph down. I use cider vinegar an works just fine. Also 8.9-9.1 ph is way high I'd lower it. I was growing in peat ph my water to 6.5 an had issues with run off at ph 4 so I now water my last soil plant with ph7 an seems to have fixed the issue for now. Won't matter anymore cause all other plants r now in coco coir an I love it won't go back to soil. This is just imo an what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

I had an issue with:

1. high ph tap water

2. Me letting it sit out for a day to get the chlorine out only to find out that my GF was using the same container to fill up her coffee maker (so it only really set out for a few hours).

3. My two brand new shitty 3 way meters telling me that my PH was at 7 when I used a proper PH meter and they were well over 8 like yours.

Getting a good PH meter and using it took my problems away.....that and my GF agreeing to use a different jug for her coffee.. If you get one, play around with the PH water you put in and the run off.

Happy growing

Hello everyone,
I had a quick question and I was hoping to get some help from some experienced individuals.

I was told with my soil I don't need to keep adjusting my PH.
(Clackimus Coots Organic Soil but with added dolomite lime)

I was adjusting it down with Lemon juice to 6.5 but I just watered in my Coots Organic soil with dolomite lime and my water was 8.9 - 9.1 PH tap water.
Is that going to be an issue?
Would I be better lowering the PH with something other than organic lemon juice?
Any other tips or tricks?

On week two since breaking through ground.
Thanks Everyone

Don't water in with any type of lime.... you're going to stop the growth of the plants (any plants). Tap water should already be adjusted by the water company to something a lot closer to 6.5.... why is your tap water up over 8?? Well water??

If well water get it tested for mineral content.

If its municipal water you need to be at the very least letting it sit out over night so the chemicals added to kill bacteria and fluoride/flouramin are able to evaporate. You don't want to kill beneficial bacteria in the soil with municipal water. I would think about getting a filter if you are serious about growing plants.

Once you figure out your water issue - you will not need to adjust PH.

If you tap water is above 8 you should be filtering it... reverse osmosis filters are like $50 or even get an RV filter for $10-15, something...

Adding any type of liming agent to your water will not help anything ... it will stop the growth of your plants and may even kill them.

In general, anything you add to adjust PH will not be good for mircro-oranisms in the soil... best to figure out whats up with water with a PH over 8.

Reverse Osmosis filter will have a ph of 6.5.....every time.

Don't water in with any type of lime.... you're going to stop the growth of the plants (any plants). Tap water should already be adjusted by the water company to something a lot closer to 6.5.... why is your tap water up over 8?? Well water??

If well water get it tested for mineral content.

If its municipal water you need to be at the very least letting it sit out over night so the chemicals added to kill bacteria and fluoride/flouramin are able to evaporate. You don't want to kill beneficial bacteria in the soil with municipal water. I would think about getting a filter if you are serious about growing plants.

Once you figure out your water issue - you will not need to adjust PH.

If you tap water is above 8 you should be filtering it... reverse osmosis filters are like $50 or even get an RV filter for $10-15, something...

Adding any type of liming agent to your water will not help anything ... it will stop the growth of your plants and may even kill them.

In general, anything you add to adjust PH will not be good for mircro-oranisms in the soil... best to figure out whats up with water with a PH over 8.

Reverse Osmosis filter will have a ph of 6.5.....every time.

What type of filter do you recommend for best results?
When I was looking for water filters they seemed complex and have to be hooked up to the pipes etc... is there anything to add to a faucet or similar?
I am not handy and wanted to make this simple as possible - let me know as I use Organic lemon juice but stopped and been using my tap water which is very high PH.

I just have a simple screen over my collection barrels- mainly to filter any leaves and stuff. I've never had any bugs in there, except for the occasional mosquito larvae when I didn't have the screen on properly, but that type of thing doesn't worry me.
It's a simple setup and I'm not aiming for laboratory-clean conditions- I don't care at all about that.
But you can take it to whatever level of cleanliness you want to.
There aren't any issues with rainwater where I live. I just give a thought to what type of surface I'm collecting from. Mine is an old shake roof with plenty of moss and a few other plants on it. It's clean. I would drink from it.
I'd be less happy about drinking from a plastic or metal roof, but that's mostly just personal taste. I'd use either of those to water plants with and don't expect there would be any appreciable level of toxins collected.
I can't speak to any waterborne diseases in your area, but at least in my experience that's more of an issue in tropical places - from certain parasites that can cause trouble for humans- not for plants that I'm aware of.
Ph of mine is 5.6 but it's effectively neutral/distilled. I don't adjust it but I do add calmag (hydro).

Rainwater is something that plants have been using for a long long time on this planet.

Back
Top Bottom