Soil test results

blissfarmer

So I got my test results back from Logan Labs the other day and as I was looking them over, I realized that I had no clear idea what the ideal numbers looked like, and how they compared to mine. I was wondering if anyone here with an understanding of these things could help a brother out, maybe even share a copy of their results for comparison. I would be most grateful for any enlightenment anyone could provide. Details wise, I'm growing in both amended native soil in the ground and a living soil/super soil hybrid for the potted girlies, all free of any synthetic fertilizers or amendments.

Share them, we're gonna see what you got.

Well, if that's the way it's going to be, then excuse me while i whip this out...

20170811_194716.jpg

View image in gallery

These are really good results, I'm European so lbs per acre are blurry for me and I had to convert them. Particularly you have too much potassium and not enough magnesium, but balance can be achieved just by growing the plant with no additional fertilisation.

To understand a bit what you're looking at, check CEC entry:

Cation-exchange capacity - Wikipedia

Thanx for the reply conradino23, and the wiki link. High Ca and P appear to be causing an exaggeration of the Mg deficit, and I'm treating with Epsom Salts. Still have a lot to learn about organic growing. Bottled mineral nutrients were so much easier, but the sustainability and higher quality results of organics have drawn me in and I'm not going back.

Phosphorus should be low indeed and on par with potassium for best results. Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate, so they'll fix your magnesium and sulphur deficit.

Should have proofed that last reply before posting. I meant to say that the high Ca and K were antagonizing other nutrients, esp. Mg, even in the ground soil that showed no deficit on the test.

The main antagonism in soil is between nitrogen and phosphorus and between calcium and potassium. Cannabis needs low potassium and high calcium, so metabolism is optimal, cell division is strong and induced pest resistance is improved.

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. What are the optimal ratios between these nutrients for this specific plant? I know that the soil test shows I'm in the ballpark for plants in general, but since I'm still having issues, especially in the ground gardens, I know that the numbers could be dialed in a bit better for cannabis in particular. I just need folks like you, who have had obvious success already with this methodology, to show me the way. Thanx again.

Ca:K - 20:1, Ca:Mg - 7:1, P:K - 1:1.

Subbed. Definitely looking in to the living soil myself. Where did you get the soil tested, and where did you get your original recipe? I have spoken to places like So Hum and Kindsoil and will order if necessary, but would love to nail down another great recipe before I truly get started.

OK , now those ratios are actually more confusing. I mean, my Ca to Mg ratio looks close and so does my P to K, but for that 20:1 Ca to K to work out, either my K would have to be closer to 250 or my Ca would have to be around 16000. So what am I missing here? Or perhaps just a typo?

Guy Cavallero, the test was performed by Logan Labs, an apparent favourite of many on the various forums. The potted soil mix is a basic watered down super soil/coots mix hybrid, but don't follow my lead just yet. As is prudent, things that look good on paper must be fully vetted in the real world, and this year's flowering cycle is just beginning, so I don't know how it will all shake out in the end. The Mg deficiency is certainly apparent, so I know I have to dial that one in, as far as inputs go. I'll post the recipe, with proposed mods for any shortcomings, after I've sampled the produce, if it proves itself effective.

Oh and I welcome any counsel, from all 'birds of a feather', so ruffle away.

It's easier to up calcium than to lower potassium as both are cations. For quick magnesium fix you can add Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate). A lot of people have problem with Ca:Mg ratio due to wrong calculations or lack thereof and they go for Epsom in the end.

Thanx again conradino23 for trying to help me wrap my head around this issue, but I fear I'm still missing something. By my calculations, the ideal ratio you proposed would lead, based on the values of P and K present at the time of testing and established as 'good' numbers, to a Ca value of 16000 ppm or 230% of base saturation, which, if I'm not mistaken, is an impossibility. I do however get the general point that Ca in high amounts is beneficial to cannabis and I will do a good deal of research on the subject over the winter as I prepare for next year's gardens. I have begun adding MgSO4 @ 1t/gal to help correct both the Mg ans S deficiencies, as I'm one of those who went into this with a recipe and some seeds, but no calculations. Live and learn...

OK , now those ratios are actually more confusing. I mean, my Ca to Mg ratio looks close and so does my P to K, but for that 20:1 Ca to K to work out, either my K would have to be closer to 250 or my Ca would have to be around 16000. So what am I missing here? Or perhaps just a typo?

Guy Cavallero, the test was performed by Logan Labs, an apparent favourite of many on the various forums. The potted soil mix is a basic watered down super soil/coots mix hybrid, but don't follow my lead just yet. As is prudent, things that look good on paper must be fully vetted in the real world, and this year's flowering cycle is just beginning, so I don't know how it will all shake out in the end. The Mg deficiency is certainly apparent, so I know I have to dial that one in, as far as inputs go. I'll post the recipe, with proposed mods for any shortcomings, after I've sampled the produce, if it proves itself effective.

Oh and I welcome any counsel, from all 'birds of a feather', so ruffle away.
I'm about to embark on my own version of a water only/no till soil. A company here in Ontario is preparing for next year's legalization and have put 3-4 years into research. I can buy a base from them which is also based loosely on CC's recipe and add my nutrients and minerals to it myself accordingly.. Luckily they also sell a lot of the other ingredients at a reasonable price. I looked into Sohum and Kindsoil but for 1 bag is was going to be close to $200 US shipped to my door.

In terms of base saturation you should have around 75% calcium and not more than 5% potassium.

Basic soil saturation of Ca:Mg:K should be close to 70:kisstwo:3 or 75:kisstwo:2. It's always better to drop potassium a bit for best results.

In terms of base saturation you should have around 75% calcium and not more than 5% potassium.
In your experience, what are the best organic ways to get those trace minerals, the calcium and the potassium?

In your experience, what are the best organic ways to get those trace minerals, the calcium and the potassium?

Lithothamnium, but it's very hard to get on your side of the pond.

Back
Top Bottom