Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweet Organic Goodness - Magical Molasses

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Sweet Organic Goodness - Magical Molasses

So, does anyone have an answer for me and Bonghead? Does Molasses darken pistils before trichomes do? And, if so, then how can u tell when to harvest? FYI, Bong, seems like my indicas are remaining pure white pistils, while the Sativas are darkening from the molasses. WTF is up w that, anyway?

C'mon, cultivators. Molasses is not a new additive. Surely SOMEONE, of all those who have used it, can advise when to harvest with it, and what is going on with the pistils.
    Please reply with any harvesting history based on color change while using molasses.

Thanks,
    CalBear

Cannabis Connoisseur - Member of the Month - March 2013 mcloadie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey mr. bonghead, I was having an issue thinkin my buds werent dense enough. Someone told me I might try molasses. I got the same kind you have, I've got four sativas outside almost a month in flower, buds are hard as a rock! I can tell these buds are gonna be heavy, hope to harvest around november 12 if the frost dosent force me to whack em early. I dont have any schedules for anything. I water them when they need it and try to forsee any nutritional needs. I've been giving them 1 tablespoon/gal water, probly close to once a week. I also give em some organic bloom food once every week, week and a half. Plants in ground on july 7, tallest at 6 ft, all....heavy with fruit. Thats the way I'm seein it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey mcloadie,

How is it. I have been doing about the same as you. I nute every other feeding and put plain water in between nutes if needed. If I use plain water, I still add the molasses.1 tsp. per gallon.So about once a week I nute.
    So far I havent had any problems.I know about when my girls will be done .I think my indicas will be done the second week of oct. And the sativas at the end of oct. maybe even the first week of november. I heard mj is a tough plant, so if it frosts before they are done im gonna throw a sheet over them that night,carefully though,so I dont smash anything. I dont know if you know but when your trichomes are about 1/3 to about half auburn they are ready. The way it was explained to me ,it is like a tomatoe after pulling it keeps ripening.but it all depends on the buzz you want. If you let the trichomes go further than half auburn, you will get a sleepy heavy couchlock buzz. If you pulll them earlier than that, it will be a uppity buzz. At least that is what I understand.
    So, in all, I dont think the molasses will hurt anything. It is also suppose to take the home grown taste out of the bud..I.D.K. hope you have a good season. I hope I do too. Last year was a light winter so I think we will both be good...Hit me up when you harvest ,Id like to see some pics and know how much dry weight your ladies give you...
    PEACE,
    Jim Bonghead

jim bonghead

Post Thanks / Like

When asessing plant maturity for optimal harvest, the trichromes are going to be the indicator. The pistils will change ( die and shrivel ) at different rates according to different factors, the trichs will change color according to proportions of thc and cbd. I take em at the first site of amber trichs, but thats how I like my smoke, theyve about stopped gaining mass by then too. Will post pics as soon as I'm allowed....later. I haven't noticed that the molasses has changed any colors of anything, but the buds are very stiff and heavy, 5 weeks to harvest.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the same molasses, outside. I had no problems and it did seem to add a little tooth to the buds. I will definately do it again. I ran out of grandmas and I'll be using blackstrap. I usually apply it seperately from the nutes, 1 teaspoon per gallon. I couldn't smell it in the buds like some claim, but the plants seemed to love it and I feel good about applying til about 3 days before I harvest, about once a week.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using Black Strap "Brer-Rabbit" unsulphered molasses for my last few harvests and its seriously a *MAJOR* player in epicness! Other sources have alos said blueberry/strawberry "Gatorade" has a similar effect as molasses. (Note for Novices: Do NOT pour Gatorade on your plants....there is a mixture that must be followed.)
    Richard Richardson liked this post

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some organic soil based setups can need nutes every feeding. That also depends on if your feeding your plants or feeding your soil too. I know nute schedules range from x1 per week to everday with no breaks. I personally run an organic based soil grow and nute everytime I feed with no ill effects. Soil is so much more forgiving then other mediums that once I started using the SubCools super soil recipe, a good tea and great genetics, everything else took care of itself. Happy growing man!
    up side down liked this post

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Calbear- I have never had any pistol coloring from molasses. You can use molasses up until your flush and I actually know some people who just 1/2 the amount during the flush and don't completely cut it out. I personally cut it out about 10days before harvest time. Molasses, while it adds some girth and presence, its main reason for being present is because its a simple sugar that the plant will translate into Taste and Aroma. The smoke will be thicker and more full-flavored. Even light sativas can obtain an uncharacteristically thick and deep smoke with molasses added. Worm-Casting Tea for Veg and Molasses for Flower added to the Subcool's Super-Soil mix is a sure-fire way to produce top quality product everytime. (Assuming you are using proper cuts/genetics and not random bag-seeds.) Happy growing bro, hope that helped a little bit. Ps. I always wait until at least 20% of my trichs are amber anyway because I like that indica like effect but the molasses won't effect harvest time or effect the looks of the trichs to bother harvest time.
    up side down liked this post

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good day Mc! When I buy Mollasses, should have Sulpur or NO sulphur? I want to buy on Amzn today, many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloadie View Post
    Hey mr. bonghead, I was having an issue thinkin my buds werent dense enough. Someone told me I might try molasses. I got the same kind you have, I've got four sativas outside almost a month in flower, buds are hard as a rock! I can tell these buds are gonna be heavy, hope to harvest around november 12 if the frost dosent force me to whack em early. I dont have any schedules for anything. I water them when they need it and try to forsee any nutritional needs. I've been giving them 1 tablespoon/gal water, probly close to once a week. I also give em some organic bloom food once every week, week and a half. Plants in ground on july 7, tallest at 6 ft, all....heavy with fruit. Thats the way I'm seein it.
    mcloadie liked this post

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

in for a later read, thanks
    mcloadie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trichomes View Post
    Good day Mc! When I buy Mollasses, should have Sulpur or NO sulphur? I want to buy on Amzn today, many thanks!
    Unsulphered trichy
    trichomes liked this post

Mcloadies fourth grow journalhttp://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...-new-post.html

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Mc , they came today I bought G'mas & some Guana
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloadie View Post
    Unsulphered trichy

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mc, do use when vegging & budding? thanx again

Quote Originally Posted by trichomes View Post
    Thanks Mc , they came today I bought G'mas & some Guana

Grow Journal of the Month - September 2017 Grow Journal of the Year 2017 conradino23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You xan start either in late veg or early flower and it's gonna be ok!
    "The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer, but they think they have. So they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.." - Ken Kesey

Conradino23 Keeps On Keeping On Outdoor & Indoor Using LOS/High Brix Methods (Perpetual Journal)

Conradino23's Another Outdoor Grow with High Brix Soil, Air-Pots and SoCal Seed Stock (Completed)

Ramble in the Jungle feat. OG Kush, Ultra Dog, Ghost Train Haze & Colombian Dog (Completed!)

If you want to grow organically (ORGANIC SECTION OF OUR FORUM)

What is landrace? (Find out here)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12