Help wanted - what's wrong with this flower?

tomina

First post here - been browsing for years so thanks for all the advice so far (and to come)

This is my second grow - first was pretty successful. Only ever grow 1-2 plants as needs are low!

So - I don't know the strain... Some random seed (as was my last, good, grow). Southern Hemisphere (about 153deg lat). Outdoor grow, soil mixture of compost, dirt, cow poo horse poo etc. good sun, good water. Seaweed fertiliser alternated with cow poo.

Flowering started about 4 weeks ago looked promising and then seemed to just stop. Have treated since with more poo, more regular watering and had some improvement. Also noticed an outdoor floodlight was hitting it sometimes which I thought might have led to stalling so am making sure that stays off now. Anyway - the buds just look a bit sick, with some reddish coloration and very few trichomes developing. Pic attached is the best I can get at the moment. The plant itself is a good healthy strong looking specimen.

Pic attached - hopefully someone will have some insight/advice. Last time I grew, harvest was in about 2 weeks from now (in terms of the season) - but this looks very unlikely to be ready then, if at all!
image21406.jpg

Cheers!

Re: Help wanted- what's wrong with this flower?

Anyone? I not assuming any one in the know to have actual experience of course - but did think someone might have a perspective on if this bud just looks a little 'shrivelled' and regarding the reddish tinge on the tiny leaves coming out of the centre. I'll upload another 2 pics which might help.

Oh and the grow is in the ground (part of my vege patch but not particularly near anything (has to be in there to stop the wallaby from eating it - they eat everything!).
I also realise it may be a 'long flowering' variety (it looks like a sativa from the leaves right?) - and that we're only just reaching natural light hours of 12/12.
This pic is of the general form (sorry - it's sideways & I can't figure out how to flip it):
image21433.jpg

And a close up through my loupe that maybe shows hoe the hairs are a bit shrivelled up... Or is this normal. Pics I took of my last grow looked much more 'pert' than this!:

Welcome to the real world, the first one is a pure sativa and it will never be ready as your average hybrids are :)

Part of the adventure of growing unknown random seeds is that it's difficult to call whether a plant is poorly or showing genetic characteristics......

You said you added poo was it composted poo? If not is that not perhaps overkill on the nitrogen this far into flowering? What type of poo was it? You say she perked up when you added the poo, but remember that nitrogen needs go right down once a plant settles into flowering.

I personally can't see anything wrong with the flower, there is a reddish tinge to the new growth but how do you know it's not a reddish or purple variety? Poo is a very hot fertiliser, if you have some bloom fertiliser, you could try some to see whether it will get the flowering going again. But take is easy on the Nitrogen

Whenever any of my plants look poorly and I am not only talking about cannabis plants, I stop everything except water for at least a week to better observe what is happening. As another poster said, that's a Sativa girl you've got there so no chance of harvesting in the next two weeks.

Happy growing, your plant looks good. :goodjob:

Thanks both-stoked that you concur that its sativa. I was guessing but really hoping so as it would be my preferred high. Only wish now I had some more of the seed (or kept some pollen form the male one I pulled 2 months ago!). I'm not really in a position to clone from it as I don't have an indoor spot to winter the clones prior to next season. I'll have to read up again about leaving a flower or 2 on the plant to try to make it seed after I harvest.

Yes it was 'cold' composted poo I put on after flowering started and stalled and there has been some improvement. I've also made sure the outside light that might have been hitting it is off and we've had some very dark no moon nights now and it looks better all round. Knowing it's sativa and reading about that (looser buds, longer flowering time etc.) helps me to relax a bit! As does having you say it looks good - so thanks!

I'll post some more pics down the track as she finishes.

I wouldn't go overboard with manure in flowering, especially if it's rich in potassium and nitrogen!

Yeah - no worrries. I did it b/c of the concerns I raised and also because during the last weeks before flowering started we had rain, rain and more rain to the point I wanted to stand over it with an umbrella, so I was concerned (and also 'cause i'd been a bit mean during veg... not wanting to overdo things). No more manure now... just water and a weak 'seasol' maybe.

So forum advice - if I'm going to post some update pics in a week or so, should I add them to this thread or start a new one?

cheers...

Start a journal in a journal in progress section, that's my advice.

Back
Top Bottom