A few questions in preperation to my first grow

habzies

Basically, I'm planning out my guerilla grow and have been searching everywhere to find out these things but can't manage to find a good answer.

Firstly, is miracle-gro good to use as soil? I've read some things that say it will burn your plants and completely ruin your crop and other people say it works really well for them so I don't know what to believe. If it is bad, what should I look for in a soil? Anything in specific?

Secondly, I'm growing with a buddy of mine and we were planning on starting the seeds off at home outside in small pots, then driving them out to our grow spots. We would transplant then into the new soil we lay down. We can't go out to our grow spots very often so unless I'm mistaken, I don't think we can use any nutrients or anything. How severely will this affect our yield? Is there a way of only giving our plants nutrients every couple of weeks? We are only going to go back to water the plants if there is a lack of rain and every once in a while just to check up on our crop.

Lastly, what are good nutrients to use for an outdoor guerilla grow that is not accessible very often? Is there something you can use to give your plant a boost every month or so? Maybe every 2 weeks?

Sorry for the long post I just couldn't find these answers anywhere so I'm hoping somebody could help me out. Anything is greatly appreciated!

Ok my answers will be a bit general. Other folks will come along with more specific info though I'm sure. I haven't used MG soil but do see people here having issues with it, constantly, and it has the reputation of being about the worst soil you can get for cannabis. Back away from the Miracle Grow, IMO.
Most soil growers do not fertilize much, if at all, during the grow. A well mixed soil can keep your plants going through to the end, along with maybe a few dashes of this or that when you get the chance, especially during flowering.
Without getting more specific, as I'm not a soil grower these days and there are so many real soil growers on this site, I think you guys need to take the time to put a good soil mix together. It will be time well spent. Try searching organic soil grows and mixes on this forum. If all else fails and no one shows up here to point you in the direction of a good soil, I can hook you up with any number of soil growers on this site.

Ok my answers will be a bit general. Other folks will come along with more specific info though I'm sure. I haven't used MG soil but do see people here having issues with it, constantly, and it has the reputation of being about the worst soil you can get for cannabis. Back away from the Miracle Grow, IMO.
Most soil growers do not fertilize much, if at all, during the grow. A well mixed soil can keep your plants going through to the end, along with maybe a few dashes of this or that when you get the chance, especially during flowering.
Without getting more specific, as I'm not a soil grower these days and there are so many real soil growers on this site, I think you guys need to take the time to put a good soil mix together. It will be time well spent. Try searching organic soil grows and mixes on this forum. If all else fails and no one shows up here to point you in the direction of a good soil, I can hook you up with any number of soil growers on this site.
Thanks for the info, I'll stay away from MG and start looking up an organic soil mix! Thanks again.

It all depends of your type of soil, cause if it's good you don't have to do much. But if it's not then there's much work waiting!

IMHO, Miracle Gro soil sucks. I grow vegetable and flowering plants from seed and avoid it as much as possible. It works best if you mix with existing soil that is heavy clay and holds a lot of water. I find Miracle Gro is too lightweight because it's mostly peat moss - a cheap filler that has a high acidity. Unfortunately, a lot of other brands are also high in peat moss. I'd go to a garden center and mix my own from components.

Regarding fertilizing - You can buy a granular, slow release fertilizer that you mix into the soil right before planting (but don't over do it). In fact, that's what Miracle Gro is - a cheap filler with slow release fertilizer globes.

Regarding watering - I was going to order silicon spheres but growers here have said they can push your plant out of the ground during heavy rain. One guy says he cuts open a diaper and uses the water absorbent part in his soil. I'm going to give that a try this year so I won't have to visit the patch as much.

Good luck with your grow!

IMHO, Miracle Gro soil sucks. I grow vegetable and flowering plants from seed and avoid it as much as possible. It works best if you mix with existing soil that is heavy clay and holds a lot of water. I find Miracle Gro is too lightweight because it's mostly peat moss - a cheap filler that has a high acidity. Unfortunately, a lot of other brands are also high in peat moss. I'd go to a garden center and mix my own from components.

Regarding fertilizing - You can buy a granular, slow release fertilizer that you mix into the soil right before planting (but don't over do it). In fact, that's what Miracle Gro is - a cheap filler with slow release fertilizer globes.

Regarding watering - I was going to order silicon spheres but growers here have said they can push your plant out of the ground during heavy rain. One guy says he cuts open a diaper and uses the water absorbent part in his soil. I'm going to give that a try this year so I won't have to visit the patch as much.

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using 420

Hey Habzies! Here are some thoughts for your grow. I would go out in late winter and begin my prep. You can drag brush cut limbs and more importantly dig your holes and add amendments. I go out around now I generally find sites with the exposure that I am looking for. I also look for the sight windows for area surveilance. I like to find locations where the plants get plenty of light but any pilots or spotters would have to be looking right there to spot it. In my neck of the woods this might be a cliff area or sharp ridgeline or even a big blow down.

I can tell you that miracle Gro potting mix is absolutely fine. Although I usually use Promix Ultra ( One of our Sponsors here on 420 Mag) but,
Miracle gro is just fine as well. Time release fertilizer is included n the mix and it should negate most of the need for supplemental applications. but they do help and will increase your yield. I go out now dig my holes and fill them with Pro Mix. I put a light covering of leaves on top to hide it then just come back in the spring with my plants and I can dig my hole with my hands and set my plants.

Although it has been a while since I have had time to post you can visit my blog and get all kinds of outdoor cultivation tips. Best of luck in all you grow!

Hey Habzies! Here are some thoughts for your grow. I would go out in late winter and begin my prep. You can drag brush cut limbs and more importantly dig your holes and add amendments. I go out around now I generally find sites with the exposure that I am looking for. I also look for the sight windows for area surveilance. I like to find locations where the plants get plenty of light but any pilots or spotters would have to be looking right there to spot it. In my neck of the woods this might be a cliff area or sharp ridgeline or even a big blow down.

I can tell you that miracle Gro potting mix is absolutely fine. Although I usually use Promix Ultra ( One of our Sponsors here on 420 Mag) but,
Miracle gro is just fine as well. Time release fertilizer is included n the mix and it should negate most of the need for supplemental applications. but they do help and will increase your yield. I go out now dig my holes and fill them with Pro Mix. I put a light covering of leaves on top to hide it then just come back in the spring with my plants and I can dig my hole with my hands and set my plants.

Although it has been a while since I have had time to post you can visit my blog and get all kinds of outdoor cultivation tips. Best of luck in all you grow!
Wow thank you, I think I'm going to try to find some promix near me and fill with some amendments then throw it in the ground and let it sit there. I'll head out soon to check out some spots but Thanks again!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using 420

I like that diaper idea. I'm going to give that a try as well as I get ready to transplant my seedlings.

In my opinion, U need to make your own grow medium, mix it yourself...
Soilest at least 60%, 5% vermiculite/perlite and
about 35% organics(compost, top soil, worm castings, etc)
PH of soil needs to be tested and adjusted to around 7....Coconut fibers is even better then peat moss....Promix soilest with a PH adjuster
is a great start, you're going to need to get down there to water them...
Fruit bat guano mixed in your medium for the
flowering part would be a good ideal also...

Basically, I'm planning out my guerilla grow and have been searching everywhere to find out these things but can't manage to find a good answer.

Firstly, is miracle-gro good to use as soil? I've read some things that say it will burn your plants and completely ruin your crop and other people say it works really well for them so I don't know what to believe. If it is bad, what should I look for in a soil? Anything in specific?

Secondly, I'm growing with a buddy of mine and we were planning on starting the seeds off at home outside in small pots, then driving them out to our grow spots. We would transplant then into the new soil we lay down. We can't go out to our grow spots very often so unless I'm mistaken, I don't think we can use any nutrients or anything. How severely will this affect our yield? Is there a way of only giving our plants nutrients every couple of weeks? We are only going to go back to water the plants if there is a lack of rain and every once in a while just to check up on our crop.

Lastly, what are good nutrients to use for an outdoor guerilla grow that is not accessible very often? Is there something you can use to give your plant a boost every month or so? Maybe every 2 weeks?

Sorry for the long post I just couldn't find these answers anywhere so I'm hoping somebody could help me out. Anything is greatly appreciated!

Use any slow release pellets. I used ozmocote one year. Sprinkle a cups worth in the whole your planting in. When I gorrilla grew we only went at water time, no other. The less you go the better chance at success. We tunneled in a middle of black berry bushes. It was savage!!!

I always use promix, mix that with organics and perlite/vermiculite...
60% approx organics/native soil mixed with promix and some added perlite...
PH should be tested on your grow medium, should be around 7(neutral)...
Worm castings is great for the vegging part, fruit bat guano for flowering...
Include all that in your grow medium mixture,
U never have to fertilize again, just water occasionally...
I'm no expert, just my opinion because I've had great luck with that mixture...
Thanks for your time, good luck!!!

For a m/l unattended grow, I'd throw some Osmocote+ in with each plant's well-drained soil and call it good. It has the proper nute's in it and is time released based on moisture and temperature. It works well in hempy's so should be great for a guerrilla grow.

Hello Frank,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "Soilest"? It that a brand name or a typo? Sorry... I'm trying to learn here... I've never grown any MJ before. Thank you so much for your time and expertise.

In my opinion, U need to make your own grow medium, mix it yourself...
Soilest at least 60%, 5% vermiculite/perlite and
about 35% organics(compost, top soil, worm castings, etc)
PH of soil needs to be tested and adjusted to around 7....Coconut fibers is even better then peat moss....Promix soilest with a PH adjuster
is a great start, you're going to need to get down there to water them...
Fruit bat guano mixed in your medium for the
flowering part would be a good ideal also...

Back
Top Bottom