Why I grow outdoors

Oldgrowth

The short answer is because I can. Both as a producer and consumer I favor the lesser environmental impact, cost and aesthetics of the outdoor grow. There are those who categorically prefer indoor grown herb. It reminds me of a neighbor in blue collar Boston who when asked if we might take some beautiful Bosque pears that were abundant on their tree, said "Sure, take 'em all, we don't eat 'em because they haven't been sprayed." Mr Natural had some good pear eating that Fall. If you categorically prefer the indoor grown herb would you share why?

The short answer is because I can. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I don't prefer indoor growing but for maximum variety, or just for specific strains, it is the only option. Some of the sativas and hazes take too long to finish and can't be grown outdoors at my latitude.

I speculate that environmental control is the number one reason so many prefer indoor grown herb...potentially even, without KNOWING that this is the reason. So many things dictate the final produce with regard to flavor, texture etc. By texture I mean the feel of the buds in your hands. But primarily, I think that herb grown indoors is subject to far fewer environmental hardships like wind, smog, rain, insects etc. I've had very little outdoor grown herb, though, so as stated, this is just speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Outdoor is my preferred method. I like to watch the pre bud stretch and not have to worry about space limitations. I don't have to stealth grow or worry about neighbors, so I'm blessed. All organic nature made bud is simply the best!

They're both different methods, worlds really. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Both have limitations and both have a lot to offer. Personally I think boom for indoor grown in legal states is market driven. Your customers want indoor bud so you push indoor bud. However not all indoor bud is the same and not all outdoor bud is the same either. You can have stellar and shitty quality grown both ways. A lot of people think it's somehow automatic that you get great bud cause you grow it indoor or outdoor, but it's very far from the truth.

+1 Conradino and Aaron
In my case i have both worlds combined and the best I could do and afford in terms of resources, space and security.
I would like to have control and not depend on the sunlight, but I would like to have the sunlight power as well. By using this method, I have all the best pros and less cons arguably.
Pros:
1. Control over flip
2. Pests management
3. Security
4. Adequate sunlight
5. Heat management
6. Airflow control
7. Odour mitigation

Cons:
1. Less sunlight than possible
2. Space
3. More effort with the logistics due to moving soil
4. No rain water, but I still have ground water access, so perhaps second best

I think people grow indoor exactly just as stated by Aaron. If there was no security issue i.e. it is legal, people would grow outdoors. Biggest advantage is the flipping. You control it. So you can veg and flower anytime you prefer. Pests management are also big pro. You are less exposed indoor.

Sent from my E5803 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Follow up on my HK grow: 12 large jars are in curing mode with 2-3 lbs dry weight, about 3 oz per jar. Maybe 2 lbs are still drying, soon to be trimmed for curing. The very small buds and trim are planned for edibles or kief. 5 lbs is more than enough to meet my needs and share as I always have with discrete friends. Input and links from 420 have been indispensable indeed. Many thanks to the entire community.

Showing off this years yard grow!!
20160601_091001.jpg
20160818_110424.jpg
20161012_085723.jpg
20161003_111615.jpg
20161012_090700.jpg
20161012_151823.jpg
20161012_172050.jpg

Your harvest was great and love the pictures. I am still waiting for my outdoor grow to finish. Approximately 1 week left. Waiting for those trichomes to get just right. I understand the angst of wondering if Mother Nature will cooperate just alittle longer so I can reap the bounty of my efforts. You did a great job! I'll keep you posted when I finish.

I picked too soon on Wednesday. 3 plants and they were all cloudy with barley any amber and another was all cloudy to 25% amber. I fed them yesterday and will let them go some more. I just learned how to check Trics last year and Im learning still. What fun!
Namaste

Back
Top Bottom