First time grower - Many questions - Here are the first

FenderSuper

Pix of grow space to come...

I've been around a couple weeks now, and I have a shit-ton of questions because I've never done this before.

1. I'm in the SF Bay Area. I've checked local ordinances regarding growing and there are no local ordinances (I'm in a non-incorporated area near Redwood City. Totally urban, but a back yard that's hard to see, hard to access, if my gate is locked. It will be.

1.5. My grow space is limited and I'm wondering if a portable greenhouse will be a good idea. Anyone have a recommendation? I've looked at a zillion ones but budget (and space) are pretty limited. I live on a fixed income. Are any of the portable greenhouses any good? The plants will grow in smart pots. If you have ideas about all this shit, lay 'em on me.

2. I'm using clones. Big-time indica guy so indica will be my choice. Shorter plants, fewer security issues. What sort of pest issues can I expect when growing in a portable greenhouse?

3. When to harvest. I've got the idea when trichomes reach a level of 'done,' it's time to chop. How to know?

4. Curing and drying. Many differing opinions with regard to temperatures. Anyone aware of best practices regarding this stage?

5. Soil. I'm planning on using soil from this guy. Please check the CL ad and tell me if the guy seems legit, OR, if you've actually bought soil from this guy. It's bulk "Happy Hippy Garden Mix." The makeup of the soil is in the ad here... WEED SOIL, MARIJUANA SOIL, POT SOIL,WEED PLANTS,BULK SOIL CHEAP CHEAP
Does this guy seem on the level?

6. Where to get clones? I like StrainBank but they're only selling 20 or more. WAAY more than I need. I want Agfhani because it's hardy, a heavy yielder, and I LOVE the weed. Adore it. Love me some couch lock. I've looked at Dark Heart but goddamnit it to fucking hell, they have no Afghani clones. Any suggestions as to where to acquire clones on this scale. I'm just a back-yard gomer, not a commercial grower.

I'm sure I'll have a LOT more questions but this is a start. I'm planning on planting the clones around June 1. Veg until August and let the flowering occur naturally.

So, am I completely full of shit? I'm nervous and anxious about doing a good job. Wasting my time? I've been in information-gathering mode for about a month and will be reading more, asking more questions, and generally being as much of a pest as the gathered will tolerate.

All input welcome, even if it's to tell me I'm totally full of shit and doomed to failure. Thanks in advance!!!

420-magazine-mobile2131436868.jpg

You can use a jewellers loupe or a 60-100x Magnifying glass.

Better still a digital microscope.

So I don't know about the dude selling soil. I grow inside so I don't need a yard of soil. I'm at the end of my second harvest and this time I'm going to hang the whole plant to dry. Should take about two weeks or a little longer. Will cure in glass jars at between 60 and 65 percent humidity at least two weeks but can be for much longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Pix of grow space to come...

I've been around a couple weeks now, and I have a shit-ton of questions because I've never done this before.

1. I'm in the SF Bay Area. I've checked local ordinances regarding growing and there are no local ordinances (I'm in a non-incorporated area near Redwood City. Totally urban, but a back yard that's hard to see, hard to access, if my gate is locked. It will be.

1.5. My grow space is limited and I'm wondering if a portable greenhouse will be a good idea. Anyone have a recommendation? I've looked at a zillion ones but budget (and space) are pretty limited. I live on a fixed income. Are any of the portable greenhouses any good? The plants will grow in smart pots. If you have ideas about all this shit, lay 'em on me.

2. I'm using clones. Big-time indica guy so indica will be my choice. Shorter plants, fewer security issues. What sort of pest issues can I expect when growing in a portable greenhouse?

3. When to harvest. I've got the idea when trichomes reach a level of 'done,' it's time to chop. How to know?

4. Curing and drying. Many differing opinions with regard to temperatures. Anyone aware of best practices regarding this stage?

5. Soil. I'm planning on using soil from this guy. Please check the CL ad and tell me if the guy seems legit, OR, if you've actually bought soil from this guy. It's bulk "Happy Hippy Garden Mix." The makeup of the soil is in the ad here... WEED SOIL, MARIJUANA SOIL, POT SOIL,WEED PLANTS,BULK SOIL CHEAP CHEAP
Does this guy seem on the level?

6. Where to get clones? I like StrainBank but they're only selling 20 or more. WAAY more than I need. I want Agfhani because it's hardy, a heavy yielder, and I LOVE the weed. Adore it. Love me some couch lock. I've looked at Dark Heart but goddamnit it to fucking hell, they have no Afghani clones. Any suggestions as to where to acquire clones on this scale. I'm just a back-yard gomer, not a commercial grower.

I'm sure I'll have a LOT more questions but this is a start. I'm planning on planting the clones around June 1. Veg until August and let the flowering occur naturally.

So, am I completely full of shit? I'm nervous and anxious about doing a good job. Wasting my time? I've been in information-gathering mode for about a month and will be reading more, asking more questions, and generally being as much of a pest as the gathered will tolerate.

All input welcome, even if it's to tell me I'm totally full of shit and doomed to failure. Thanks in advance!!!

You remind me of another grower who was a regular poster here for awhile. Here's a link to one of his journals. He was also in an urban environment and put up a small greenhouse on his deck.

PeeJay's Prudent Home-Brewed Organic Soil - Outdoor Out of Sight Deck Grow

If you read through that, you'll get most of your questions answered, and you'll have a much better idea of how to proceed. If you plan to grow outside, you should time your veg so that the plants go into bloom around the end of June when daylight starts to shrink - no good reason to wait until later.

Good luck! :Namaste:

And don't buy clones unless you want to battle spider mites on your first grow. Start from seed, there are plenty indica dominant strains so you should fine one without any problem. However you should be aware of humidity issues in Bay Area, so pick one that's not gonna mold in late flowering.

Just google clones+spider mites.

Well then go talk to Doc Bud or NCW, they'll tell you how peaceful minded these creatures are and how they got them...

Well, after a lot more research, I've decided on Hollands Hope as my main strain, with Afghani as the other. Both are easy grows. I will be growing from seed, because I can't find clones in these strains. So you seeders win. Enjoy your win.

I have $200 worth of amendments, equipment (aquarium aerator to get rid of the chlorine in tap water. Don't have enough plastic buckets or a 55 gallon rain barrel, SO...gotta have the pump. Also have a soil temp probe, some soil moisture meters and more, coming. Still trying to figure out the drip water system. Gotta go buy base soil, soon, get it cooking.

What are your experiences?

I lied. I'm doing afghani and BC Big Bud. I can get clones of those and after reading about seed banks, I'm not risking money, only to have my overpriced seeds seized by Customs. Fuck that.

SO I'm back to agfhani. Luckily, it's a hardy strain, as is BC Big Bud. I'd post pictures, but all I have are piles of amendments in boxes or bags, a soil temp thermometer and four soil moisture readers for the pots.

Clones will go in the dirt around May 1. Still have a couple weeks before I start my super soil (subcool recipe). I'm going for a long veg period, get the main stalks stronger. Clones will go in un-amended Patio Plus at first. When the soil gets weak, the roots will stretch into the more-heavily-amended soil in the lower depths of the pot.

OK, back after a long hiatus, mostly because I'm a dumbass. Here are some of the things I learned:

Proper water PH is absolutely necessary and hard to measure. Litmus paper sucks and so did my first meter. Hope I can get better results with my second meter.

A way to get around the need to "cook" soil, this year, is to layer the hot soil on the bottom of the pot; just as hot but lower quantity, given the lateness of all this, with straight Patio Plus as the "early" soil. Theoretically, I hope the plant will find the hot soil, on its own, when it needs it. Info on whether this is a prudent plan is welcome. Subcool recipe is what I'm using for the "hot" soil. I will do topcoats of amendments, if necessary.

Dirt weighs a LOT. I'm old with a questionable (one surgery already) back. Given the way I'm growing (portable greenhouse on concrete, 45-gal smartpots sitting on pallets to keep the bottoms from overheating) I have to get the pots in place, the kiddie pool in place and my shovel at the ready. I'll only shovel the hot stuff, I'll just dump in bags of Patio Plus over the hot soil. If I need amendments, I'll have some in reserve, esp the ones needed in the flowering stage.

Strainbank is a bad joke when trying to get clones of Afghani. As recently they said "sure we can do that," only to find they can't get the clones rooted properly and so I'm shit outta luck. Fucking lying, incompetent bastards. Luckily I found an alternative strain (Kosher Kush) and I can get teens of those, next week, So I ordered them from the Clone Brothers of Riverside. Proof, of course, will be in the puddin'. But avoid Strainbank like an AIDS-infected sex partner. Bad karma, bad clams.

For supplemental light, (want it in veg until second week in July, just to give it more veg time, after a late start), I'm using four 100W equivalent LED bulbs at 5000K starting one hour before dusk, and going all night. Its not an indoor grow so I don't have to simulate the sun, but having some light on dem bitches at night will enable me to have the strong plants I want, when I flip them. Assuming any live to be that old. Or I do.

Trying to PH a whole bucket of water is a fool's errand. I use white vinegar for PH Down, and baking soda (in water) as PH up. Our city water is so alkaline (averages 8.5-9.0) I never need baking soda. I DO use a bit of vinegar, just practicing adjusting the PH.

If y'all have insight, info, criticism, rochambo, lay it on me. Clones go in the dirt next week. I've done a shit-ton of reading, and I can talk the talk. Time will tell if I can walk it, too.

Just a couple suggestions from me ... :hmmmm:

Think about getting some wheeled dollies for under the pots. At least that way, you can spin them in place.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of light you'll have. I typically used 4 of those CFLs over one vegging plant in the early stages. You say supplemental - do you have more light?

I can't be more helpful because I use this odd organic kit where there's no need for ph'ing, etc. :cheesygrinsmiley: I had bad water though - hardness of 400 - and that eventually became a problem, so I just bought a cheapo 5-stage R/O system - under $150.

Back
Top Bottom