My Best Patch

Harry Lyme

It's about a ten min. walk thru the woods. Except for this deepwooded ravine i have to cross. I follow the deer paths, they know the easiest way. But it is fairly steep. So i had a forty ft piece of half" hemp rope so i used it to make a hand rope tied to a little handy tree. This helps when you're schleppingk forty lbs of pro-mix up a 45 degree slope...... Nobody is in these woods, but me, the deer and the birds. But, the next time i go back a couple days later, the rope is loose a few ft away but now it's only 20 ft. long. Something cut it off clean or knawed hit off clean right in the middle. Took half of it away and left the other half and untied a half-hitch knot off the little handy tree it was tied onto.. what the ?. This wasn't humans......... If you have a sharp knife it's not easy to cleave this rope, not like in pirate movies... So i go to Ace H. and get 2 50 ft lengths of nylon braided rope and tie them on trees on both side of the ravine because on the way back your legs are tired and the rope handholds would be good. ..... So the next time i go back hauling mix a day later, both nylon ropes are gone. This made me think for a minute. I don't think an animal could untie two half-hitch knots off two trees widely apart and take the two ropes away so far i can't find them. This has me puzzled because i know there ain't nobody out in that woods unless somebody came in the middle of the nite which is even more far-fetched. .... But you can't dwell on these mysteries, Spring is here... This pasture i found is so good, it's a guerilla growers shang-ri-la I don't think anybody's walked here for yrs.. It is a lot of work though...

I don't know what or who made off with my ropes but it ain't stopping me from getting to my patch.... I'll do without the ropes, they're gone anyway. It's the 20th of May and it's starting to get hot and muggy here in NE Missouri. No time to be hauling mix up steep hills. All the hard work is done. Now it's time to hope for rain and wait for the corn to grow...

The reason i don't think humans stole my rope is because few people go into the woods these days.. They're afraid of the West Nile virus mosquito. <<<might gitcha>>>>Very few kids go into the woods. I have near neighbor kids who live with woods all around and they never leave their yard, mother probably told them about the mosquito.... And old folks don't go into the woods, same reason, mosquitos. So you pretty much got the woods to yourself. Right now the warblers are passing thru. A real concert they have going. They won't stay but a few days, they will go farther north to make their nests where it will be cooler... There's a red fox around the vicinity, i see her once in a while. If you're real quiet in the woods and keep your eyes open, you can see some things...

This afternoon on my way to my patch going thru the deep woods i saw this same female fox trying to sneak up on a pair of Wood ducks on a small pond. They heard her coming and flew up in a tree. The wood duck is the only duck that nests in holes in trees. On my way back i spotted this little mound of reddish brown hair in the undergrowth. I walked over to it; at first i thought it was a dead dog. But when i got closer i saw it was a little newborn deer fawn with those little rows of white spots, all curled up like a dog. I whistled at him but he didn't move a muscle. He was waiting for his mother...;''

Incidentally, i don't own any of these woods which would make up about 20 acres give or take. These are like my own though because they are adjacent to my property and no one goes in them but me. So i consider these wooded acres like mine even tho i don't pay taxes on them...And the people who do own this treasure woods property with a little creek running down the middle of it, are in a nursing home anyway. They wrote this law in 1066 in England that says the peasantry has the right to take advantage of any unused property, Am i right?

This female fox which I've seen slinking around my ken dug up one of my plants. An eight week old plant and dug it clean up out of the ground. I didn't discover it for about four days and by that time the roots were all dried out. Replanted it but it's weak so.... I'm pretty sure it's this fox because it dug half of the mix out of the hole. She's probably got a den with pups not far. I know it's a female fox because i saw her squat and take a leak behind my barn. She had no idea i was watching... I was inside my barn looking out the back door. She caught my scent from about 75 ft. away and took off like a scaulded cat into the woods....

I went to visit my Afgani plants that i set out in the the hill-billies orchard. These were set out about the middle of May on the edge of this orchard. About four gallon holes with half Pro-mix half Fox F. Practically full sun, just all you could ask for. Two of these things are already so big and bushy i don't think even the effing deer could destroy them they're so robust and beautiful. They think they're in Afganistan. I have high hopes for them... Really strong growth from underneath. We had this half inch rain which really got'em going....

The deer around here are thick. They have no natural predators except cars. Last winter i was out in the woods after a two inch snowfall and i saw some deer tracks and started following them. They just go around in circles. You can't tell if it's one deer or five deers going around in circles. What the hell are they thinking? Going around in circles. There's nothing to eat out there whatsoever but they're always on the move wasting their energy.... The'll eat your plants off tho. They'll eat tomato leaves off and leave lettuce eight feet away.... And deer cough, just like you would cough maybe from dust or pollen... And when you hear them cough in the woods, it's very human like and you think maybe there's some mushroom hunters out there but it's just a deer.....

That afgan plant that the fox dug out of the ground and i reburied has completely recovered. I'm amazed, it has the will to live. This is one i have in the hillers abandoned apple orchard. The orchard grass is now 3 ft. tall and no sign of anybody walking around in it. The hillers are occupied elsewhere. looking on zillow i found the hillers own 50 acres mostly woods and swamp. This orchard is just one little corner and they don't bother to mow it....

Harry you have it going on, good for you, good luck.
I am also a gorilla grow guy, up in Ohio. I await the corn to grow up a little more, so the spraying is done then I will put out my plants, they are ready now, topped, and await to spread their roots. I hope to have everything out by July 1st, I have had years where I would still be placing stuff in mid July. The plants start with flowering around Aug 7th if I had to pick a date here, I see the flowering but others do not see anything, it shows. I would like to try some other types of spots but we really do not have much for grass pastures, no livestock around this county but plenty of corn and soybeans. Corn is my target, been working those fields for years. Last year the governor sent out the choppers in late August, did a number on me, more than half, gone in a poof, one day, three spots.
New year new spots, lets see how this works.
Corn just emerged a few weeks ago after replant, so only about 6 inches tall and no nitrogen placed, yet, but I see the tanks starting to come out, that is rocket fuel for corn. We are about to have the nights were the saying was dubbed, "you can hear the corn growing". But the solo song will be my plants singing to a higher note.
I also see a lot of wildlife in my area, they raise heck with plants until the reach a certain size then they do not bother them much. I hunt with a bow to reduce the deer population here. See lots of fox, coyote, raccoon, skunk, they will all dig at any organic fertilizer, so be careful on your nutes. All I will say, but they dig to the bottom to see where that dead fish is they can smell.

Weekender, it's not easy raising plants in the wild. We know we've tried it.... The fox is at my plants again. She's dug up one plant twice and other four plants right up out of the ground ... Ok bitch... I know it's this fox doing this.... I covered certain plants on the ground with chicken wire but this fucking fox just came back and scratched this chicken wire aside and went to work digging up my plants. I'm beginning to realize it's the Fox Farms fish stuff in it. she's looking for....... Finally i got wise and put chicken wire over the hole held down by six inch steel pins. She's not moving that... They're not after the plants, they're after the fish in the Fox Farms Ocean Forest.... But regardless, this fox is going to get payback . She's already caused tremendous damage to my grow. I may have to resort to mole pellets (sodium cyanide)....I don't like to use this but sometimes there's no other way.

Fox are not common here but they are considered vermin along with coyotees, because they kill game birds like quail and pheasants. There's a bounty on them 2 or four dollars i can't remember which; you don't have to take in the whole animal, just the ears. ... Last spring i was going somewhere on a morning and there was this beautiful red fox laying in a ditch hit dead by a car. He was prime, bright red stretched out just like he was asleep, not a mark on him his tail was as long as he was. I didn't have my knife so i thought i would get it on my way back in a couple hours, but when i got back the tail was gone just like i knew it would be.. Always carry a knife... See, i should have thown the whole thing in my trunk, but i wasn't finking....

Before i set out the mole pellets i will try setting out a couple of my No. 2 Victor leaf-spring jump traps left by the former owner in the barn. The last time i used these about ten yrs. ago there was this weasel coming into my barn at night to raid my chickens nests.. I didn't catch him but he got a good piece of his nose leather snapped off... That must have been a real surprise....

It is good to see you doing battle but you can only manipulate the animals, it is very hard to eliminate them as more fill in when one is gone.
After the initial smell of the Organic dirt goes away and the plant gets bigger they all leave it alone, a deer may take a bite but not generally down to the ground, not in the middle of a corn field, raccoons and skunks are what I would think are digging to get your fish, fox may be around, they are not a issue for me, we have lots of fox and coyote here. My son trapped coyote and red fox last year, he was very successful using a snare. The issue for outdoors growing is most will sit at your kitchen table and preach organic. In reality a person has to go with chemical nutrients, miracle grow comes to mind, sorry you all, sorry. Nitrogen comes two ways, Shit (Organic) or Chemical (Miracle Grow), the animals want to the bottom of all Shit.
But good luck and stick with it, love to see more outdoor growers, it is quite thrilling.

Yeah, these animals, they cause problems, the destructive little bastards. I had cached four gallons of water near my grow in gal. milk jugs for future use and the devils slashed them open with tooth and claw even though there's a clear running stream 75 ft. away. This could be fox, racoon or possum.... They do this for spite because they don't like you in their ken...I'll only take so much of this, then there will be medieval payback....

I have learned the only way to beat the animals is to plant about 25% more than you really need to harvest ( if that is possible) just for the critters. A farmer taught me this when I asked many years ago to why he planted a small hard to get to field which was only about a acre, all that equipment. He said what I harvest from that small patch makes up for the deer and other animals in my total farm in what they eat and destroy, I took that to heart for any crop.

Weekender, It's not the deer this year, it's the diggers. I'm betting it's this fox... They just like to dig. They'll come back and dig again even when they know there's nothing down there...

Back
Top Bottom