Help me plan for an outdoor grow next year

PopeyeSpinach

I have a small indoor grow going now, but next year when things change around here and no one can say anything to me about a plant anymore, I plan to try outside. (I am a newb grower on my 1st indoor right now).

I have a South by southwest facing hill behind my home that I think would be perfect. Its slightly steep, I would say 10 feet of vertical height and 10 feet out from top to bottom. Giving it an average of a 12/12 pitch, obviously varying here and there, steeper in some places if anything. Said hill is about 25 feet from side to side, so lots and lots of room.

The location is 100% out of view from any prying eyes, and no one ever comes back on my property anyway. If they did, they cant say anything about it anyway.

I will be home, and am going to observe and monitor the Hill on June 20th, the Summer Solstice and time/track the sunlight.

My guess is that the hill recieves direct sunlight from around noon-7pm, at which point ground level has no direct sunlight, but 5 feet off the ground will recieve sunlight until 730-8.

Before I continue on any further with this idea, and the plans I have for landscaping the hill. I want to make sure that this sounds like a location that would work.

TMI via google as far as how much direct sunlight they need. Seems that 5 of direct is the bare minimum, but on average this hill should have 7 or maybe more direct during peak growing season.

Just wanted to type this up and ask ye outdoor growers for anything I should look for, anything I should watch/observe while planning this area. Oh, and How many hours of Direct sunlight is the best in your opinion.

I also have a really cool idea for making it a zen garden and building a waterfall system around the plants, they wouldnt be in water, but they would each have water flowing around each pot/grow area. Figure rushing water around some pots/plants would make it a lil harder for crawling insects and Deer to make their way to my girls. But that might not work at all, I dunno lol. Picture a plant in a bucket, on a big rock poking up through rushing water. I already have everything I need to do it, Just have to disect all my giant Water garden I dont want where it is anymore, and convert it into a waterfall on a hill.

Sorry if this mockup doesnt make any sense. But think of this as a view looking down. each circle represents a pot, blue is water. Top of the hill would be water pumped from the reservoir at the bottom and would just recycle, with water flowing south. the pots would be out of water on dry rocks/platforms of flagstone.
zen.jpg

I dont need to do all this, but the water gardens current location is no longer desirable for us. So may as well repurpose the 2 grand in stone that is out there, along with the plumbing and pumps i already have.

Back
Top Bottom