Poison Ivy Prevention

FoolsParadise

If you've done a bit of outdoor gardening, you've probably come into contact with poison ivy, oak or sumac. During my first attempt to grow outdoors, I prepped my site in October when all the leaves had fallen. Didn't realize that the oil in poison ivy is also in the roots. I ended up with a painful, itchy, oozing rash on my face that required a steroid shot. Since then I've been much more careful. Although I take great precautions, it's inevitable that I get a least a small rash once or twice a year.

Well not anymore. I found this amazing product called Oral Ivy. After taking it for 10 days, I'd built an immunity. Ran the weed eater. Walked through poison ivy in sandals. Petted the outdoor dog's belly. No rash! When I took a look at the label, I realized the only active ingredient was poison ivy. "WHAT?! I'M EATING POISON IVY!?!" So I did some research and sure enough. Old school loggers, landscapers and homeopathy doctors know all about it. The key is not to eat too much of it. If you eat an entire leaf, you'll make yourself sick. A redneck posted a great YouTube tutorial. He took a pair of tweezers and pulled off just the tip of a leaf, "no bigger than a mouse's ear." Then he wrapped the leaf tip in a small piece of bread, forming a ball and ate it. Don't touch your lips with the leaf. So after the bottle of Oral Ivy ran out, I gave it a try. Not dead yet and still have an immunity. I have an entire plant surrounded by the stuff and still don't have a rash. I eat a piece two or three times a week.

If eating poison ivy (via commercial product or naturally growing) isn't for you, I've found the best way to prevent getting a rash is to use a concentrated dish liquid after you've come into contact with it. Don't buy that Technu crap. It's expensive, isn't as effective, and you have to keep it on for 2 minutes. Who wants to stand around in the shower that long? After you've tossed your clothes and shoes in the washer, jump into the shower with some Dawn dish soap or other high quality brand (not that watery shit from the dollar store). Be sure to use a wash cloth or luffa to get some friction going. You really want to be vigorous with the scrubbing. Don't just smear it on with your hands. Be sure to get your face and hair line. Rinse and repeat just to make sure you've scrubbed every spot.

Hope that helps you outdoor folks who have suffered from that evil plant. :Namaste:

I used to get shots that prevented poison ivy, but for some reason they are unavailable and have been for years.

Thats said, i have a bad back so i limit my time in the garden. So 30-45 mins tops for me, then i immediately take a cool shower and wash with dish soap to get the oils off. It works most of the time, and when it doesnt the rash isnt as bad. Im also one that is highly allergic to it.

i have a bad back so i limit my time in the garden. So 30-45 mins tops for me.

I developed arthritis in my feet last year to the point I couldn't work 8 hours. Started taking food grade Diatomaceous Earth mixed into milk or water. It's basically pure silicon. It's gritty and you can't breath it in, so most people won't try it. But it's a miracle. Within three days, no more pain or stiffness. And the popping sounds I've had in my knee since I was a kid stopped. There are a bunch of testimonials on the web about DE eliminating back pain.

If you don't want to bother with it, I'd highly recommend taking three turmeric capsules (available at Walmart) twice a day with a peppercorn. Turmeric/Curcumin amazingly relieves pain caused by inflammation. It has a bunch of other positive health effects and won't damage your liver and kidneys like other pain killers.

Back
Top Bottom