Working On My Stealth Grow

flytier

This is the early stages of hiding my plants. It would probably be a little less noticeable if it wasn't in a 5 gallon bucket, but I'm trying to train it to stay as low as it can. Just growing some flowers and beans and stuff around it to divert a bit of the attention.

A friend just brought me over a bit of weed (the first I've been able to get my hands on since March) and he didn't notice the plants there until I pointed them out to him.

Is anyone else hiding their plants in plain sight? I know there's more sneaky fools out there than just me.

View from the driveway
DSCI0949a1.jpg

My bigger plants and a seedling (two seedlings now and probably a couple clones coming out soon) plus others.
DSCI0948a.jpg

The star attraction
DSCI0952a.jpg

I think you may have a problem disguising the height later in the season (unless you're growing autos). A well kept Indica might reach 60 centimeters even with training and topping by the end of the season. What is the plant with the palmate, oblong leaves in the gray pot? I'm pretty sure I've grown it years ago, but can't remember the name. (and it's driving me crazy!) If I rightly recall, that plant gets tall fast and can probably hide your girls pretty well (although I didn't grow it in a container). Bush beans mature within 60-75 days, then start to decline. So they're going to look scraggly and dead when your cannabis is still green.

If I were you, I'd plant some dill. It grows fast and gets tall but dies once it goes to seed. It's wispy, so sow a bunch of seeds close together. Basil also grows quickly. Doesn't get as tall but is more dense than dill. If you keep pinching the flowers off, it won't die as quickly. Cosmos are a quick growing flowering annual, but I'm not sure you'd want to grow too many impressive flowers because someone may want to admire them. And whatever you do, don't grow Cleome. The leaves look a lot like cannabis and everyone who sees it says, "ARE YOU GROWING WEED?!"

The only thing that might give you away is the funk near harvest time. Not much you can do about that unless you're growing a strain like Northern Lights. I had a friend with a downstairs neighbor who grew girls in a bed with tomatoes in the backyard and it took me all summer to finally realize it. The smell is what gave it away. BTW, nice looking plant you have there.

I think you may have a problem disguising the height later in the season (unless you're growing autos). A well kept Indica might reach 60 centimeters even with training and topping by the end of the season. What is the plant with the palmate, oblong leaves in the gray pot? I'm pretty sure I've grown it years ago, but can't remember the name. (and it's driving me crazy!) If I rightly recall, that plant gets tall fast and can probably hide your girls pretty well (although I didn't grow it in a container). Bush beans mature within 60-75 days, then start to decline. So they're going to look scraggly and dead when your cannabis is still green.

If I were you, I'd plant some dill. It grows fast and gets tall but dies once it goes to seed. It's wispy, so sow a bunch of seeds close together. Basil also grows quickly. Doesn't get as tall but is more dense than dill. If you keep pinching the flowers off, it won't die as quickly. Cosmos are a quick growing flowering annual, but I'm not sure you'd want to grow too many impressive flowers because someone may want to admire them. And whatever you do, don't grow Cleome. The leaves look a lot like cannabis and everyone who sees it says, "ARE YOU GROWING WEED?!"

The only thing that might give you away is the funk near harvest time. Not much you can do about that unless you're growing a strain like Northern Lights. I had a friend with a downstairs neighbor who grew girls in a bed with tomatoes in the backyard and it took me all summer to finally realize it. The smell is what gave it away. BTW, nice looking plant you have there.

The one in the grey pot with the palmate leaves is a lupine. I've never grown one before, but the plan is to let it get some size over the summer and plant it in the grassy area next to the woods in the fall. Kinda hoping it will spread.

When it starts to get bigger I'll be moving it away from plain sight and around back so it'll be able to flower without the light over the door fooling it up. Shouldn't be too big a deal. I will, however, keep your suggestions in mind for next year's camouflage plants.

When they get bigger you can always prop other potted plants up on tables or stools around it. I have a potted pine tree about 5 feet tall (sick of buying and throwing out Christmas trees every year) and some blueberries in pots. They blueberries will get put on a platform to obscure the height later in the season. I also planted a row of sunflowers in front of my bed to cutoff a neighbor's sight line if they peek and stretch their heads over the fence.

BUT I live in California in a county that hasn't prohibited outdoor grows (yet). Still, I don't want to be obvious. Even though we voted 56% yes for Prop 64 there are still narrow minded people on my block.

So yeah, lots of other green stuff around them as long as they're not shading your girls.

When they get bigger you can always prop other potted plants up on tables or stools around it. I have a potted pine tree about 5 feet tall (sick of buying and throwing out Christmas trees every year) and some blueberries in pots. They blueberries will get put on a platform to obscure the height later in the season. I also planted a row of sunflowers in front of my bed to cutoff a neighbor's sight line if they peek and stretch their heads over the fence.

BUT I live in California in a county that hasn't prohibited outdoor grows (yet). Still, I don't want to be obvious. Even though we voted 56% yes for Prop 64 there are still narrow minded people on my block.

So yeah, lots of other green stuff around them as long as they're not shading your girls.

Yeah, they don't take long to get big. Mine hit a growth spurt after the last cold period early this month. Fortunately, so have the others. But I keep the weed in behind the lattice now. I still have the distractions hiding 5 seedlings and 2 clones, but that's not bad because they're only in small pots yet.

Back
Top Bottom