Burlap Bag Guerrilla Grow

FoolsParadise

Last year was the first chance I had to grow near our property in the middle of nowhere. But when I found a nice sunny spot in the woods, the ground was mostly rocks with sand. Needed a pick axe to dig holes. It was on a hill so keeping the soil in the hole was a challenge. Not much of a yield.

Almost gave up on guerilla growing. But found a thread about growing in burlap bags. Couldn't find any pictures, so I had my doubts. As a vegetable gardener, I know that raised beds dry out quickly.

Decided to give it a try and so far it's awesome! Very easy. No digging by me or animals. No worries about the slope washing soil away. I double bagged the burlap sacks (opposite open ends) because there was no draw string to close it. Stuck a wooden skewer in the soil to monitor moisture. Added slow release fertilizer. Most are on a bare slope that's been logged with no vegetation. They haven't needed any water so far but with the frequent thunderstorms this season, I'm surprised they aren't wetter. Next year, I'll add water crystals to the bags in that location.

The girl in the picture, Heavyweight Strawberry Cheesecake, is in a meadow of brush. She is very damp relative to the others, but doesn't seem to mind. Should have topped her earlier.

If you're a guerrilla gardener, I highly recommend burlap instead of busting your butt digging holes.

meadow1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom