Interesting Colour Differences Between Different Store Bought Soils

thekingchief

Hi guys,

Newish grower here wanting to share something I found interesting, experienced growers might not.

I am doing a 5 plant outdoor grow of Jack Herer Autos from Crop Kings. As an experiment I used two soil types (store bought mixes) and different containers, pots and bags.

After some initial struggles (seedling nute burn I believe) the plants finally started rolling, but unfortunately have all started budding before reaching any decent size. The three in pots I had actually given up on at one point and its why I just threw them in pots I had lying around instead of going out and buying grow bags for them.

What I find interesting is the difference between plants 2 and 3. Plant 2, grown in Pro Mix Organic is distinctly darker green than plant 3 grown in Miracle Grow Organic. Plant 2 is the same colour as 1, 4 and 5 (all also grown in Pro Mix). Both two and three have reached almost the identical height. Both are in 7 gal smart pots.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of the colour differences? Also, which is closer to the "correct" colour? I hope the differences show up on the pictures, as they are very noticeable in person.

Plant 1
DSC_025224.JPG
DSC_025321.JPG

Plants 2 (left) and 3 (right)
DSC_025422.JPG
DSC_025722.JPG

Plant 2
DSC_025521.JPG

Plant 3
DSC_025622.JPG

Plant 4
DSC_025819.JPG
DSC_025916.JPG

Plant 5
DSC_026017.JPG

Fair green colour is due to low nitrogen, lack of shine is due to low calcium or too much potassium.

Back
Top Bottom