Pruning preferences?

KushGod

Hello 420 gang.

After a recent and ongoing battle with thrips and garden bugs in general I've noticed most of these critters like to start at the bottom of the plant and work their way up so it's got me to thinking, if we remove all the lower growth that doesn't do a great deal anyway and create some nice space and airflow between plant and soil/pot would this deter pests from choosing our plants as they are more exposed?

I generally try not to prune anything off my plants unless it's a smokable bottom branch tester or there's a bloody good reason to but I'm thinking of it as more of a deterrent to pests deciding our plants are where they'll live, eat and raise their kids.

So I'm wondering what pruning/trimming practices all you other outdoor growers use and your reasons?

Do you prune off all the unproductive growth or leave it? Do you prune to deter pests? Or do you just sit back and let Mother Nature do her thing?

Being an outdoor grower has me interested in pruning practices for outdoor plants and I know there's arguments for and against so how do you guys roll?

Kush.

Before I always just let things grow. Now days I tend to take most all lower branches. They just have wispy buds that always get to dry and the energy used to grow them could have been used to fatten the buds that are kept. It varies Strain to strain on how many branches I leave. All this depends on your space. Like you already said it also helps with some pests. I also like the clear view of the lower parts of the plant to check for pests or male flowers that like to show up out of nowhere.

Before I always just let things grow. Now days I tend to take most all lower branches. They just have wispy buds that always get to dry and the energy used to grow them could have been used to fatten the buds that are kept. It varies Strain to strain on how many branches I leave. All this depends on your space. Like you already said it also helps with some pests. I also like the clear view of the lower parts of the plant to check for pests or male flowers that like to show up out of nowhere.

Thanks for the response. I think I will clear out the unproductive branches at the very bottom for both of the reasons you mentioned. Makes no sense leaving those sucker branches to take energy from the top of the plants and main colas. I'm more worried about the lower shaded, bushy areas offering a nice home to bugs/pests though to be honest, my thinking is by leaving a good space between bottom of plant and soil they'd be less attracted to the plants as homes and breeding sites for their eggs. The lower fan leaves are also blocking a lot of light from some of the lower branches so I'm thinking a light prune lower down the plant is now the best thing to do. Appreciate you responding, thanks .

No problem. Sounds like your thinking on the subject is solid. Of course every strain will want different pruning. I have more trouble get light to branches of indica dom strains. Its easy for me to prune most strains so they have a open structure. The problem I have is pulling branches out far enough to get all the lower branches into the light. Those same indicas do not produce as much when topped.

I also take thin low branches before they start flowering and lightly prune the bottom of the plants.

I found that if you use the Safer Insect Soap once or twice a month keeps the critters off the plants pretty good and the Monterrey BT for the caterpillars. Spray at night and make sure to wash your bud like Doc Bud recommends at harvest. My growing area is like a jungle of insects and I barely find any on the plants much anymore. I also have testing using a ladybug attractant that you slip around a branch and have found that it helps to attract get insects that eat bad insects and watch a ladybug land and look around for food :)

Back
Top Bottom