Nutrient Lockout Turned Second Grow

ForbiddenX711

I had an interesting thing happened during my outdoor grow this year. My deadhead og appeared to be ready for harvest based on the trichr phase and did a week 1/2 flushing. The top never did develop a think main cola but the bottom 4/5 of the plant were ready and was having some bug issues so I thought I would just harvest. So to get along with the story the top during the flush just starts taking off for no apparent reason with more veg growth. so I decided wth I will just let it go as an experiment and figured it might have to do the the heavy feedings schedule of 2x a week and no lockout prevention mechanism/product. The initial harvest provided me with 4 of the 1500ml Large mason jars filled with trimmed hi thc flowers.

Here's a couple photo's and if some more experienced growers can confirm my theory that the flushing helped to unlock my lockout and trigger a 2nd staged?
DSCF20205.JPG

This is really unusual. So bottom was ready before the top? I'd be grateful if you explained what you meant by flushing. It's just different people understand this concept differently

I see no "lock out" effects of any kind, just a tall healthy plant with a long stem. Looking at that shed & the shadow, the bottom of your plant must have been more shaded and got the required light schedule for flowering, whereas the upper portion got more light for longer periods and did not flower, accordingly.

This is really unusual. So bottom was ready before the top? I'd be grateful if you explained what you meant by flushing. It's just different people understand this concept differently

What I was referring to was the pre-harvest watering where I flush the plant with only water for 1-2 weeks.

I see no "lock out" effects of any kind, just a tall healthy plant with a long stem. Looking at that shed & the shadow, the bottom of your plant must have been more shaded and got the required light schedule for flowering, whereas the upper portion got more light for longer periods and did not flower, accordingly.

The shed is deceiving because that is not where it grew for the 1st part of the grow. It received very full south facing sunlight every day starting on april 25th. The plant is 5'5" tall and when harvested was over a foot shorter.

The reason I assumed lockout of some kind was due to the sudden grow during my flushing of the plant and also because of the very heavy feeding full recommended labeled amount for Fox Farms products.

It could possibly be that the plant was shocked from the pest problem too but just haven't seen this before. I definitely have a different plan for next year with this seed.

The nitrogen in soil got uptaken rapidly when you started "flushing", cause technically you weren't leaching nutes, you were just watering!

I just weighed the first phase harvest and have 134 grams of dry/cured bud. I can't wait to see what the 2nd phase ends up like when done because of the better leaching/watering. Thanks @conradino23 for the insight I thought I was doing a better job, but now I am.

I tested with my new soil tester and found the soil ph at about 5.4 which I will work on fixing by not adding the ph down to my 8.2 ph RO water. See how that works out? Flowering continues and looking nice.
DSCF20402.JPG

Harvested yesterday, washed and drying. Conradino you like the Cali Strains.. This one would be a good one for you to try next season. I did a wet trim and weighed the main cola at 74gr... with several others close in size. The first phase harvest was 134gr of loose extremely potent bud living up to its reputation of 20%+ THC, and this 2nd phase will easily surpass it in yield putting me close to 500gr of cured high grade.

The catch to this was a special rock was added to this plants soil for its mediphysical properties and another one just like it did not have this rock. This plant was the runt of the two up until harvest and has out performed the other 3x. I'm going to retest this theory next season.

Yeah I heard about Deadhead OG, I have my eyes set on few strains for next year though and they are mostly NorCal ones indeed :)

Yeah I heard about Deadhead OG, I have my eyes set on few strains for next year though and they are mostly NorCal ones indeed :)

What I liked most about this strain is that it took a beating, extreme heat 100f+, humidity 70% at time this summer, the plant actually fell over in the pot it got so top heavy and when I picked it up two days later and watered it did miss a beat. I have some seeds for next season and plan to mainline and train it to keep it lower because it topped out at a hair over 6ft in a 5gal container. grown in the wild it could get pretty large.

I believe it would, this year I haven't grown any monsters, but next year I'm planning on some trees :)

I believe it would, this year I haven't grown any monsters, but next year I'm planning on some trees :)

Just finished the final dry trim and weigh in... 1st phase 134gr, 2nd phase 264gr , total 398gr dry weight.

Lessons learned on this strain... It loves feeding and proper flushing you can feed this one more heavily and will be rewarded with sticky aromatic buds that are very potent!

Just finished the final dry trim and weigh in... 1st phase 134gr, 2nd phase 264gr , total 398gr dry weight.

Lessons learned on this strain... It loves feeding and proper flushing you can feed this one more heavily and will be rewarded with sticky aromatic buds that are very potent!
As every OG strain it's less efficient, so it needs to be pushed a little. They need to have more nitrogen than other strains and sometimes call for more calcium and magnesium too. I grow mostly in the ground and strictly organically, so I don't flush etc.

Back
Top Bottom