Outdoor - Flowering Time - Environment, Landrace Based Or Combo

Zafu

Did some research and can't figure this one out. If we plant a seed from a part of the world that requires say, 14 weeks of flowering, but in our part of the world normal cycle for weather change allows, say, 10-12 weeks, will the lady adapt?

Seems to me that while genetics are primary drivers, I also believe marijuana is sensitive to the environment it's grown in, though that is purely anecdotal. I'm just wondering, as an outdoor grower, if my normal flowering season is 10-12 weeks; from time the darkness is sufficient to cause flowering to when the weather simply becomes too cold and wet, if the lady will respond and have a somewhat shorter flowering time.

Any experience you've had with a genetic requiring a longer time to finish based upon its origin and what actually happened based upon the environment you planted her in would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Zafu

Did some research and can't figure this one out. If we plant a seed from a part of the world that requires say, 14 weeks of flowering, but in our part of the world normal cycle for weather change allows, say, 10-12 weeks, will the lady adapt?

Plants don't adapt, per se. If you plant a field full of them, pollinate them, only use the seed from the fastest maturing examples, rinse/lather/repeat for several years, you'll tend to end up with a population that takes less time to flower than originally. But that's not because any one plant adapted - it's because you're selecting for the fastest finishers over and over - and culling the rest.

Seems to me that while genetics are primary drivers, I also believe marijuana is sensitive to the environment it's grown in, though that is purely anecdotal. I'm just wondering, as an outdoor grower, if my normal flowering season is 10-12 weeks; from time the darkness is sufficient to cause flowering to when the weather simply becomes too cold and wet, if the lady will respond and have a somewhat shorter flowering time.

Nope - you'll be harvesting premature buds, IMHO. Or else you decide to wait, because surely THIS year it won't get cold/rainy quite so soon again... and harvest moldy ones :rolleyes3 .

If you want to make a plant finish early, start giving it a longer period of uninterrupted darkness (by covering it with a lightproof material) a few weeks before it'd normally begin to flower.

Or hope for an Indian Summer, I suppose. But the only time I ever seem to experience one of those is when I'm growing plants indoors and hoping it'll cool down soon.

Any experience you've had with a genetic requiring a longer time to finish based upon its origin and what actually happened based upon the environment you planted her in would be greatly appreciated.

See above.

Thanks Tortured Soul.

I've found you can't go by the referenced flowering times given at seed banks and come to learn it's more an estimate, but yea, guess this was just wishful thinking. Being an old school fan of sativa, there are some really genetics available that don't appear to have been crossed, but most require a very long flowering time. Since I've no interest in indoor grows, at least at this time, will just restrict my choices to ones that coincide with my typical weather patterns.

Cheers -Zafu

Or you can get a greenhouse :)

Back
Top Bottom