Let's talk northern harsh climates strains

The rooster

I'm looking for density and I want them out of the ground by October first. Has to be resilient against mold and bud rot. Cold falls set in fast in the mountains.
Would like to hear your take on this years season. I dif candy kush fast versions. They don't veg well but they explode in flower and finish by September 15th no problem. Then Frisian duck finished same time and God beautiful purple bud however it's not real strong. Ducksfoot just clipped always amazing just usually a little light.

Early skunk is still going along with critical kush and blue widows. Early risers and blue og,s along with white widow and a couple others I forget lol but I got a bunch still going. But I want stuff done fast and heavy next year. What you boy got for me?

Rooster: I have the same situation here in the PacNW, though I can sometimes make it into October with rot/mold resistant strains.

Sounds like you've already found Critical Kush, which I've found to have xlnt results outdoors--quick finisher, very good yield, not finicky, fairly resistant to rot/mold & very nice smoke.

I did Pineapple Kush, too, this year & it also did just great. Another (fairly obscure) strain I had great results with was a Hog-Jack the Ripper cross that finished even faster than the Critical Kush.

I love strains with kick out fat buds, but I've found that almost all strains w/ clublike buds are quite susceptible to bud rot. They can still be a go, but they've got to be thoroughly inspected when wet weather comes. As much as I like looking at growing buds, daily inspection is a bit too much, so I now avoid these fat bud strains.

Best to you & your outdoor efforts

Rooster: I have the same situation here in the PacNW, though I can sometimes make it into October with rot/mold resistant strains.

Sounds like you've already found Critical Kush, which I've found to have xlnt results outdoors--quick finisher, very good yield, not finicky, fairly resistant to rot/mold & very nice smoke.

I did Pineapple Kush, too, this year & it also did just great. Another (fairly obscure) strain I had great results with was a Hog-Jack the Ripper cross that finished even faster than the Critical Kush.

I love strains with kick out fat buds, but I've found that almost all strains w/ clublike buds are quite susceptible to bud rot. They can still be a go, but they've got to be thoroughly inspected when wet weather comes. As much as I like looking at growing buds, daily inspection is a bit too much, so I now avoid these fat bud strains.

Best to you & your outdoor efforts

Hey man. So for sure if you want big nugs and mold resistant you have to find yourself a seed of early riser. I just pulled em today. Beautiful plants man 4-6 inch wide nugs. Blue widow did good bud not as dense As the early riser. The Frisian duck and regular ducksfoot strains finish nice but aren't big on density. Big yielders but fluffy pot. Wicked stinky the regular duck is.
Candy kush fast version by Royal seeds rocked it for me. They may not veg super fast but they flower really fast. And for a less than fast begging plant they really pack on some serious weight.
Early skunk seemed to be really resistant too. I still have some out. The critical for me is still going. Actually the slowest of everything I had. The ducks the candy and the mother of berries finish the best for me this year as far as fast. But early riser is bread winner for density and being the healthiest for the longest. It could still be going but I'm trying to get done for the year

Good to know.

The Crit. K. pheno that I grew during last yr's cold & rainy summer was still done by 9/25 last year & had a fine yield despite the weather. Also some of the smoothest smoke I've ever toked.

Will check into early riser.

this yr's heavy duty fruity was pushing out some really fat nugs, but when the rain came had to harvest to avoid rot, about an week earlier than I wanted, though it looks & smells great as it cures.

best to you & your efforts,

Interested! I dream of growing outside here in the frosty North.

Think many auto strains would work. Here the problem is the midnight sun. Light all summer and night all winter. The many months long night is approaching fast now. But autos planted in may sounds like a plan to me

From what I learned this summer :
start plants indoors one month earlier than needed (I can put mine in a greenhouse)
Start more plants than you think you need (deer insects rippers weather)
start plants every month (I will have a series of plantings April, May, June, July)
use the best best best soil possible
don't give up

Best of luck!!!!!

Doesn't work this far north. Because of the midnight sun. We don't get 12/12 until late September and after that the lifgt disappears fast a d frost will arrive shortly after.

But autos should work really well with 24/7 of sunshine

Doesn't work this far north. Because of the midnight sun. We don't get 12/12 until late September and after that the lifgt disappears fast a d frost will arrive shortly after.

You should def get some lemon skunk autos and let them babies go!

I'm in the same boat. Same climate. Land of midnight sun. When is ideal to plant?

Joining you gentlemen and women soon here in NorCal, amount of snowfall will most likely be my problem if I want to perpetuate year-round; beyond that I just took a walk on my property about four days ago and it was bright and sunny, albeit 36*F. It's up at 4,200 feet in the alpine.

This season in the Midwest, for me it was a year just below last year in total volume here in my pantry, but enough to get me to next years harvest, that is all I need, so very happy indeed. The Royal Queen family has again carried the load. I use Royal Queen Special Kush number 1, damn that is a cheap seed but delivers every year for me, heavy flower mass, done mid Sept, no rot or mold. I try to go with a proven crop and then try what I read about, I am still looking for outdoor seed that beats royal queen but have not found it. Seems most seeds are bread for indoor use and are very frail for getting out in a corn field and surviving strong. As I do not water nor feed once out in the fields, they have to rock until harvest. I did not go out to check things at all this season, animals damaged about 24% of plantings, I did put extra out for that expectation. As catlady said plan for it and you will see things work out as planned, if you plan on everyone coming to flower, your dreaming, at least in gorilla growing here in my style.

This season in the Midwest, for me it was a year just below last year in total volume here in my pantry, but enough to get me to next years harvest, that is all I need, so very happy indeed. The Royal Queen family has again carried the load. I use Royal Queen Special Kush number 1, damn that is a cheap seed but delivers every year for me, heavy flower mass, done mid Sept, no rot or mold. I try to go with a proven crop and then try what I read about, I am still looking for outdoor seed that beats royal queen but have not found it. Seems most seeds are bread for indoor use and are very frail for getting out in a corn field and surviving strong. As I do not water nor feed once out in the fields, they have to rock until harvest. I did not go out to check things at all this season, animals damaged about 24% of plantings, I did put extra out for that expectation. As catlady said plan for it and you will see things work out as planned, if you plan on everyone coming to flower, your dreaming, at least in gorilla growing here in my style.

Stop over to my thread sometime I do a lot of set them and forget them outdoor growing too man.

Early riser. There's your beast that will out perform the special kush.

Beast mode

Also in guerrilla growing situations I've found the key to animal damage. A product called deer guard. It's a motion activated buzzer. A super high frequency ringing happens when you pass in front of it. Like your ears ringing times ten. Deer can't stand it. Other pests hate it as well. I only lost a handful this year and majority was to thieves instead of animals. Out of 150 that ain't bad

Rooster,
Who is the Breeder of the strain Early Riser, is that a Auto ? Feminized I hope, that is all I place, as it is set em and forget em. Out of 150 sets how many are clones?

Rooster,
Who is the Breeder of the strain Early Riser, is that a Auto ? Feminized I hope, that is all I place, as it is set em and forget em. Out of 150 sets how many are clones?

Always clones. And the actual Breeder of my early riser is Sagarmatha I believe but the early riser is not one of my genetics. It's something I picked up from a friend because it's killer in the cold weather

I was looking around at beans after reading your reply and I did see that the breeder was Sagarmatha and the seeds come only in Regular so males in the mix. That means extra steps as growing then sexing then cloning. I am not fond of clones in my grows, as in the month of August we get little to no rain, clones as you would know have no tap root drilling down for the water, so clones are more susceptible to damage from lack of moisture. No I do not drag water around. I have found that my Royal family grows well through the month without additional water or nutes.I am still looking for the magic seed to improve over my Royal Queen, that plant is also done in mid Sept. Something you may want to try. I thank you for your suggestion, if I should enlarge my greenhouse this will be a consideration.

I was looking around at beans after reading your reply and I did see that the breeder was Sagarmatha and the seeds come only in Regular so males in the mix. That means extra steps as growing then sexing then cloning. I am not fond of clones in my grows, as in the month of August we get little to no rain, clones as you would know have no tap root drilling down for the water, so clones are more susceptible to damage from lack of moisture. No I do not drag water around. I have found that my Royal family grows well through the month without additional water or nutes.I am still looking for the magic seed to improve over my Royal Queen, that plant is also done in mid Sept. Something you may want to try. I thank you for your suggestion, if I should enlarge my greenhouse this will be a consideration.

Hey friend. Look up hugelkultr
It's a German method of growing and will solve all of your problems with roots and lack of rain.

Cheers mate

A product called deer guard.

I just did a quick web search for that product - and found lots of websites that wanted to sell me a grill guard for a truck :rolleyes3 . Can you tell me the name of the company that makes it?

Back
Top Bottom