Extreme heat

HayStack

As I get ready for my summer grow. I'm trying not to make the mistake I made last year.

First a little background.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in the east bay. Typically summers here are pretty moderate. Temps usually range between 70 and 80 degrees. Two or three times a year we get a heat wave, it usually not over 90 to 95 degrees and they only last a couple days at a time.

The last two years it was extremely hot especially last year. We had heat wave after heat wave. And most of them were over 100 degrees. Each time my plants would get burned, then I'd baby them for a week and start to see them getting back to normal, only to see the next heat wave hit. My grow was the worst I have ever had.

So my question is. What do you guys who grow in extreme heat do?

I want to plant in 30 gallon smart pots this year on my balcony. So moving them will be pretty tough because there is no stairway down from the balcony. I was thinking of getting a tent like the ones everyone uses at the flea market or tailgate parties. But I don't know if I should use that or some type of screen that will let some light through.

Any thoughts?

Yes you can get a net to shade them, but you should also pick a strong outdoor variety that sustains extreme heat. It's mostly about genetics.

Yes you can get a net to shade them, but you should also pick a strong outdoor variety that sustains extreme heat. It's mostly about genetics.

I second that. My Royale Haze's (sativa hybrids) have been enjoying temps from mid 20's to mid 40's (C) during our summer with only minor leaf damage on one plant...

As I get ready for my summer grow. I'm trying not to make the mistake I made last year.

First a little background.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in the east bay. Typically summers here are pretty moderate. Temps usually range between 70 and 80 degrees. Two or three times a year we get a heat wave, it usually not over 90 to 95 degrees and they only last a couple days at a time.

The last two years it was extremely hot especially last year. We had heat wave after heat wave. And most of them were over 100 degrees. Each time my plants would get burned, then I'd baby them for a week and start to see them getting back to normal, only to see the next heat wave hit. My grow was the worst I have ever had.

So my question is. What do you guys who grow in extreme heat do?

I want to plant in 30 gallon smart pots this year on my balcony. So moving them will be pretty tough because there is no stairway down from the balcony. I was thinking of getting a tent like the ones everyone uses at the flea market or tailgate parties. But I don't know if I should use that or some type of screen that will let some light through.

Any thoughts?
High Haystack.
I also am growing in Central California.
Heat waves always freak me out.
Unfortunately we are limited to what we can do when we grow outside. Especially If pots are too heavy to move into shade or inside, let me recommend what I have been doing.

I have changed my watering schedule to early morning. I give them a healthy drink and wait 2 days until I water again. However if you are growing in ceramic or plastic pots, check soil on top for dryness.

I put up a retractable sun shade and went with the beige color, it let's the right amount of sunlight in. I find that I don't have to slowly reintroduce the when I remove the shade. If you go with a darker shade , you will have to slowly acclimate them back into sunlight.
You may also try liquid kelp . It helps to keep the root ball cool. Here is a picture of my ladies under the heat shade.
Good luck my friend.

Wesncool
20210620_075506.jpg
20210625_150256.jpg

Back
Top Bottom