Albino bud?

growembig

This is a bud from one of the colas on one of my biggest Jack the Ripper's. (roughly 7ft tall, grown indoors in RDWC)

I thought at first that it might have something weird going on - like maybe the bud itself was taking on a weird color. Upon further inspection - the white is 100% trichromes. No kidding. They are stacked on top of each other and you can't even see bud when viewing it with a microscope. It's just nothing but trichromes!!!

Anyone ever seen this before? I have never run into anything like it!

Screen_Shot_2012-12-26_at_9_34_39_PM.png

That is called hash tips, they're more common for LED growers who have the right spectrum and get too close.

I've seen them occur on some HID grows too, one being mine.

Nothing to worry about, it's the intensity of the spectrum forcing chloryphyll out of the tip, and it resins up from the stress. It will affect the rest of the plant in the sense that much energy is given to that top portion rather then spread around.

much energy is given to that top portion rather then spread around.

Does that mean that the top portion is superb and worth duplicating?

Not necessarily, it means it will have trichomes covered at the tip, and will possibly sizzle like hash, hence the name hash tips.

It depends on what you're looking for, most people like large yields.

I don't know what you are talking about with "most people like large yields" This past grow was one of my best with huge top colas and a "Hash Tip"

DSC_0081_albino.jpg

DSC_9999_close.jpg

DSC_9996_close.jpg

DSC_9958_colaside.jpg

This past grow was one of my best with huge top colas and a "Hash Tip"

Wow!! Buckshot, that is impressive.

Hash tips... a new phrase in my lexicon. What did you do to acquire such a handsome thing?

Yeah, I want one. No, I want several.:cheesygrinsmiley:

That is called hash tips, they're more common for LED growers who have the right spectrum and get too close.

I've seen them occur on some HID grows too, one being mine.

Nothing to worry about, it's the intensity of the spectrum forcing chloryphyll out of the tip, and it resins up from the stress. It will affect the rest of the plant in the sense that much energy is given to that top portion rather then spread around.

Makes a lot of sense. This particular cola was tied up to be right under the center of the HPS. It's the only one that is within 1/2 inch of the glass.

Thanks for the info!

This past grow was one of my best with huge top colas and a "Hash Tip"

Wow!! Buckshot, that is impressive.

Hash tips... a new phrase in my lexicon. What did you do to acquire such a handsome thing?

Yeah, I want one. No, I want several.:cheesygrinsmiley:

This started to happen with my new feeding routine... it is a couple pages back in my journal here My Room - Perpetual LED Soil

Makes a lot of sense. This particular cola was tied up to be right under the center of the HPS. It's the only one that is within 1/2 inch of the glass.

Thanks for the info!

It makes no sense... I have had the same plants the same distance from the lights for many generations. This gen was fed a new finish nute and I think that is what did it.

Aren't you an LED grower, Buckshot?

Yes I am ... that is the first "hash tip" I have had after many generations under the same panels (same clones and distance from light)

Great plant Buckshot!!! What strain is that?

That is an old school hash plant... her name is S Girl. I am not sure what gen she is, like 5th or 6th

Now that I have a second plant doing this "hash tip" thing, I am sure it has nothing to do with light. In the first pic below you will see the top of half of the plant. The only cola to have a hash tip is the main cola and it is about 6" further awayfrom the light than a side cola on the right. This plant was not put up and has been 12-24" further from the lights than the last hash tipping plant its entire life. I am guessing this is my girls last ditch effort to produce a flower that will get some action and be pollinated and she has the right nutrients to produce it.

DSC_0202_sgirl.jpg

DSC_0199_sgirlhashtip.jpg

this is the cola closer to the light
DSC_0208_sgirl.jpg

I think genetics play a large role. The original poster was growing Jack the Ripper - I've had these "hash tips" on plants before, too, but always with Jack the Ripper, and often on mid to lower level buds as well. BTW - JTR is a mutant freak strain with a few genetic oddities like occasional buds on fan leaves, and extra blades in strange spots on the fans. It likes to flower in stages with multiple harvest "windows" (which is really fairly common for a sativa in truth). Interesting strain though, to be sure!

I've also light-bleached bud before, which can additionally cause trichome build-up. Makes me wonder if there could be a couple of different things in play that cause this behavior?

Like JJ mentioned, these seem much more common with LED grows for some reason, especially near the top of the canopy - I akways assumed those were a form of stress from light intensity, but seems like there is more to it perhaps.

I actually filled a really small nug jar with some of these from my last JTR grow, but they were pretty ordinary (to me) outside of looks...

I think genetics play a large role. The original poster was growing Jack the Ripper - I've had these "hash tips" on plants before, too, but always with Jack the Ripper, and often on mid to lower level buds as well. BTW - JTR is a mutant freak strain with a few genetic oddities like occasional buds on fan leaves, and extra blades in strange spots on the fans. It likes to flower in stages with multiple harvest "windows" (which is really fairly common for a sativa in truth). Interesting strain though, to be sure!

I've also light-bleached bud before, which can additionally cause trichome build-up. Makes me wonder if there could be a couple of different things in play that cause this behavior?

Like JJ mentioned, these seem much more common with LED grows for some reason, especially near the top of the canopy - I akways assumed those were a form of stress from light intensity, but seems like there is more to it perhaps.

I actually filled a really small nug jar with some of these from my last JTR grow, but they were pretty ordinary (to me) outside of looks...

interesting... thank you

Well i have my LED grow and am seeing them on some of my plants aswell. Not all at the tops but some furthur down on the plant. Was planning on posting up in my journal tonight once the lights are on. I have flowered out multiple phenos of my chosen strain and this is the only one to do it and it is by far the best pheno i have had. Yield, density, resin production everything. I am also just coming to the end of my bllom boosting pk 13-14 from my canna nutrient lineup. Maybe its something to do with the potassium and phosphoras concentrations?

Back
Top Bottom