Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Sativa Seed Club (SSSC) Catalogues from the 1980's - rare archival images.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Super Sativa Seed Club (SSSC) Catalogues from the 1980's - rare archival images.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Bramage View Post
    G-13 X HASH PLANT now known as MR.NICE still lives on.
    You got that right - I still haven't germed mine. They're getting old... am I missing out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Super Sativa Seed Club (SSSC) Catalogues from the 1980's - rare archival images.

Quote Originally Posted by LaManny View Post
    You got that right - I still haven't germed mine. They're getting old... am I missing out?
    you better do them asap bro not the type of plant to be missed out on look at my new grow will be putting picks of my four femals
    Dain Bramage's Mostly Sativa Grow Classic SAGE finished

My african savana grow going on now
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...ow-2010-a.html

new light and The new strains Mr.Nice,White Russian,I.C.E. and many more
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...kush-more.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dain Bramage View Post
    you better do them asap bro not the type of plant to be missed out on look at my new grow will be putting picks of my four femals
    Okay... I'll make them next. I'm currently at my limit with LP#1 and Wille -2005 vintage-
    Reef's last really consistent year based upon most reading I've done. There's also a bit of my own "work".... stored & untouched for several years. Getting off topic now.

thanx for the advice - I'll soon start mr. nice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Marijuana View Post
    This thread helps show that pot was just as strong back in the late 70's and early 80's
    Thank you!! I get so tired of seeing the propaganda that mj has become much more powerful. I always argue that I, personally, feel the smoke from back in the day was some of the best out there, even better than today. Some of the true landraces packed a super punch!!
    Retired Seven liked this post

"I have a theory that the truth is never told between the nine to five hours." - Hunter S. Thompson

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Many young growers these days have no idea of the history of commercial seedbanks. Back in the 1980's, an Australian of Dutch parentage, went back to Holland from Australia to recover from h****n addiction. Part of his recovery was an idea he had to source and sell premium Cannabis genetics from all over the World. This idea came to fruition with a Government Grant for his rehabilitation from the Dutch Government to do so. This was the genesis of most modern seedbanks we see today. Neville is no longer on the scene, and SSSC was taken over by Ben Dronkers, and Sensi Seeds was formed, using Neville's genetics.

The infamous Neville

For history buffs, I have compiled a collection of images from SSSC and a few other early seedbanks, to give you an idea of how things were in the good old days.

Wow My man I have not seen these books or catalogs since 1988 when I last ordered from The Seed Bank of Holland. These genetics and the movement they helped feed evolved into the Marijuana we see today.
    I had saved many of these book but lost all in my recent divorce as well as all seed stock of every plant I ever harvested. I am still looking for the strains I used to grow like Northern Lights #5, Original Skunk, ATF, Thai Stick, and a true White Widow. By far the NL#5 and ATF are the best Marijuana I have ever grown or smoked. These books were available by ordering them from a small classified advertisement in the only Cannabis mag back then costing $5 and all seeds orders were $10-$25
    BTW I have read that Mr Nice still works with Neville's genetics and stays in touch with him for select breeding offers

+Rep
    Last edited by Wingman420; 11-14-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    art fog liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

love this thread

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff! Wish I could read the words...

Post Thanks / Like

Mate, the first seeds I ordered from Neville, prior to '88 was the original Skunk 1, Beatrix Choice, and Skunk1 X Basic 5 (now known as NL5). I had 3 400W MH lamps that were put together from scratch by a mate of mine, even down to building the ballast. Back then, you could not easily get HID lamps, and they were very expensive. I had a grow space of 3m X 2m, and was, unfortunately, the first person ever in Canberra to get busted using artificial lighting to grow dope. I got done with 6 1/2 kilos (including what I had drying). I got a 2 year suspended jail sentence, 3 years good behaviour bond (probation), a $5000 fine, and I had $5000 seized as proceeds of crime. It cost me my home and my marriage. Mate, I did my time in the trenches in this damn war on drugs. My kids suffered terribly as a result. Bear in mind too I was playing international sport at the time, and was the Australian Captain for my sport (don't ask!), with an overseas trip coming up to the World Championships. It nearly ruined my sporting career.
    Yes mate, it was tough here back then.
    Wow man, that sucks. It is nice to see the laws getting a little easier over time though...My question is, can you hold a MMJ card now? I'm just wondering cause on my state application it specifically asked if I was ever accused or convicted of anything that had to do with purchase, sales, use, or manufacturing of any illegal substance or marijuana ever...i was just wondering if that can make it to where you cannot carry a card because they see prior involvement in marijuana....Blah Blah, I'm sorry man, just rambling....If you can answer that for me great, if not don't sweat it...Good luck to you and take care

Post Thanks / Like

Please rate this thread.
    This was an excellent post and quite interesting...So there was really great smoke in the early 80's too huh! I have heard it was nothing like now but it was still OK...I love to read old clips and magazines from back in the day...It reminds me of some magazines I got from my dad last year called Ex-CBI Roundup...It isn't about Marijuana, it is about the past World War and the men stationed in China, Burma, and India during that time of war. I have every one ever issued and reading those from the 70's and 80's still is great and educational and gives you a little incite to that day in age...It isn't an incite to the 70's and 80's but rather old time service men talking about and remembering their time in the service..... Lots of pictures too....You know pictures are always great to see when you are reading about any subject and the pictures of those plants and different strains really look great...I would really like to run across some of the first years of High Times magazines and get a hold of them....Anyways, I have rambled long enough I guess so that is it...I did appreciate the post though, it was great and fun to look at!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

loved the thred !!!!!!

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't read it all yet and some of the pages are a little fuzzy but Above Average work. Put together a sequential journal / narrative w/ the support materials you have here it will be a valuable document or book. It has provenance and is informative in a educational way. Thanks for sharing this. Very good. Hope to see more...
    willoby liked this post

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There were many things going on w/ marijuana. Many situations and attempted publications especially in the late 60's early 70's. I remember the Song Mellow Yellow by Donavon at that time hippies were being harassed and busted everywhere most often over the issues of pot. I should mention that the British answer to Bob Dylan said that his song had nothing to do w/ the banana thing. A clever thing that came about was taking the inside of banana peals roasting them until they were browned, dryed, powdered and then smoked. There were hippies carrying this stuff in little jars around their necks. The high was supposed to be comparable to marijuana. The narcs could do nothing. Of course this stuff would only make you cough but it upset the establishment confronting them w/ the big problem whether to ban bananas. They called it 'mellow yellow'.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chronic thanks for sharing the photos. Brings back old memories.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: In a previous post in this thread I wrote about my lovely experience with seeds from SSSC for our first grow and how I went on to grow a Hawaiian strain for years after that.

Well the last time I was able to grow that strain was 1997. It was a feminized plant by that time and so I would always get some seeds that i would use for the next round.

Last year, cleaning out my basement, I was going though my backpack and in one pocket I found a baggie of those seeds! Almost 15 years old. I planted them all and it looked like they were all dead, then out of nowhere, in a peat pellet that I thought I had put an ornamental seed in, up pops this scraggly, barely alive sprout. I kept an eye on it thinking, like I said that it was something for the garden, but as it grew it became clear it was marijuana.

Then i remembered that I had put some of the Hawaiian seeds in with the ornamental seeds in the peat pellets just to maximize the pellets as I didn't have enough for all the seeds. So there it was, a bridge back to the past, my beloved Hawaiian! It is now in a 10 gallon pot in my backyard and I can't wait to put it to the test (I have always claimed that this strain was as good or better than the weed we get today, now I will be able to put my money where my mouth is!)

I'll let you know how it turns out and maybe some pics too.
    Last edited by Happy Kitty; 06-26-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: buying seeds comment

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see the results of those seeds, I am curious.
    This is ironic but I just received a choice of complimentary cigarettes from American Spirit but I quit smoking 10 yrs. ago so I passed them along. I chose the Maroon pack because these were all natural and grown organically by farmers (w/ no chemicals). Sure enough the smell of this tobacco was much different then any we could remember maybe since the 50 -60s. I had to try it w/ a few drags from my friends smoke and what a difference very smooth & no smoker cough. It is hard to explain but the difference was so much that it brought back the 50's like washing w/ clean wash cloth as opposed to sandpaper. I am never smoking cigarettes again and the tobacco industry should be ashamed w/ the changes they made. Since my friend has been smoking them he has cut his habit in half and now smokes for pleasure. I am thinking that maybe your old Hawaiian strain may yield similar results. good luck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast