Can you reactivate carbon?

AJ12Gamer

Can you reactivate carbon guys? :bong:

Plz tell me how! I did a search but to no avail!

I even googled it and found

FPO IP Research & Communities

But I have not idea what it's talking about! Plz help!

I've heard you can do it with high heat like in a kiln. It takes pretty high heat.

On one of those online patents it says something about high heat too. But it also has some other ways to reactivate carbon I quite figure out. I remember a long time ago on overgrow you can even do it in your oven but it'll make your whole house reek of weed. But I want to know if there's a easier/another way of doing this. Like maybe one on the patents I just can't understand. :smokin:

Is this for a carbon filter?

If so, you could try Silica gel crystals sold as Crystal Kitty Litter for about 1/4 the cost.

PetSmart has it. WalMart has it even cheaper.

DD

Is this for a carbon filter?

If so, you could try Silica gel crystals sold as Crystal Kitty Litter for about 1/4 the cost.

PetSmart has it. WalMart has it even cheaper.

DD

I've never heard of this! Can anyone back this guy up? Preferably nothing hearsay-ish? Something I could believe. Like maybe a grow video that states this works? I first heard about carbon filters through a military site stating they still use this today for cleaning up air, chemical warfare, ect. Then heard about carbon in many grow videos. So can you droopy dog or anyone else can back this up? I'm trying to be cautious because you can't believe everything you read online. So I need proof. Thanks in advance!

Well droopy dog just PM-ed me saying, "I personaly have not used this or any carbon filters for that matter."

So let's just get right back on topic of "Can you reactivate carbon?"
So anyone know how to do it yet? Cause I can't figure out what the patents are talking about. 'cept for the one that needs a ridiculously high temps to reactivate it.

Also I want to know is there a certain way I should dispose of carbon? Can I just put in my regular garbage?

:rofl::rofl::nomo:

LOL "I'm not a pot grower, but I play one on the internet"

No, I have no 'proof' or whatever. I'm also sure it won't purify like carbon and I wouldn't use it in my aquarium filter.

But for odor control in a carbon filter, Mimi Litter at WalMart cost $9 for a 8lb bag.;)

If it works, great. If it doesn't, you are out $9 and a drive.

DD

:rofl::rofl::nomo:

LOL "I'm not a pot grower, but I play one on the internet"

No, I have no 'proof' or whatever. I'm also sure it won't purify like carbon and I wouldn't use it in my aquarium filter.

But for odor control in a carbon filter, Mimi Litter at WalMart cost $9 for a 8lb bag.;)

If it works, great. If it doesn't, you are out $9 and a drive.

DD

Thanks for the input but could you please stay on topic now?

Heat is the only sure way to re-activate carbon I'm aware of..

Let's exercise our brains and discuss how it's made, and theorize how to clean it..
Carbon sources are charred, chemicals are added, filtered and rinsed, dried, baked, and viola.. you have activated carbon.
Activated carbon is just like regular carbon, aka charcoal but the process creates many more times of holes in the carbon, and those provides more places for the carbon to chemically bond to the organic materials.

I assume you could chemically treat carbon with a chemical, but what could dissovle those organics, without damaging the charcoal structure? Alcohols if the organics are soluable and the carbon isn't would be my guess.

Also.. you can burn the organics out, but he's right.. it'll smell the house up like the organic you've evacuated from the room..

Perhaps a very very tiny charcoal fire under a grill full of activated in some remote area, and a way to monitor the carbon to make sure it doesn't actually burn, just roast. And pray a park ranger doesn't show up following the smell of smokey weed.

ask someone at a local pet store preferably in the fish section. Active carbon is also used as most filter media in aquarium filters. they might be able to tell you if its possible.

I googled around.. You need atleast 350F to reactivate carbon but you will never get 100% of it restored. With every restoration you'll loose a bit of capacity until it equalizes to the temp you're heating it to, reactivate it.

I googled around.. You need atleast 350F to reactivate carbon but you will never get 100% of it restored. With every restoration you'll loose a bit of capacity until it equalizes to the temp you're heating it to, reactivate it.

Thanks for the input man! :bravo: I think I have seen the 350F on the freepatents link I have on my first post. Hey man could you check the link out and see what other ways you could reactivate carbon? I have trouble understanding it and it seems like your smart as hell so could you help me out man? :roorrip:

lol... Just because it's patented doesn't mean it works. The only thing i've read that is verified is heat. 350F or above or else you're just fucking around. The heat WILL smell like what ever you filtered so do it outside with a grill in the middle of nowhere. Beware of park rangers. ;)

I'd think you could put it in a metal container and set it on a rock in a charcoal grill.

lol... Just because it's patented doesn't mean it works. The only thing i've read that is verified is heat. 350F or above or else you're just fucking around. The heat WILL smell like what ever you filtered so do it outside with a grill in the middle of nowhere. Beware of park rangers. ;)

I'd think you could put it in a metal container and set it on a rock in a charcoal grill.

I can just see my wife now as I load 50 lbs of dirty ass carbon into her oven!LOL. Still I can't even fathom the amount:yummy: of crap you would inhale even if you did it outside in a BBQ? Plus doesnt carbon have some cancer causing properties?

OK I officially give up.... Sounds to me it's better to just buy more than reactivating it.... So how should I dispose of used carbon?

I wonder if putting it in a steel barrel and propane works? Thanks for the tip on 350 that sounds doable outdoors. Maybe stir it while it's cooking- get it all at once. Knowing my luck it will all explode in my face!

20140212_124310.jpg

Well gave it a shot.. It took a lot of the day (over 50 lbs.) The carbon looks kind of grey coming out. It's not that jet black it used to be. Guess we'll know soon enough if it worked

It works- think this might be the way to go instead of buying it in bulk.. I heated it until it was smoking out the top of the keg and left it for awhile- the carbon pellets get really hot. It doesn't really stink outdoors.

You can dump it out and put in batch after batch using a wet rag and gloves. No need to pre-rinse.

Back
Top Bottom