CKS White Widow, Purple Kush and Dark Angel

kanuki

Hey guys, doing my first grow(s) this year after I planted a couple bag seeds I got out of a "Death Bubba" strain. Being unsure about the sex of these plants I wanted to follow up with some fem'd seeds to ensure some kind of yield for my efforts.

Ordered some seeds for White Widow (WW), Purple Kush (PK) and Dark Angel (DA) strains from CKS - they showed up in about 7 business days. I started out germinating 3 seeds from each strain with 100% success rate.

Fun fact, at the same time I tried germinating 5 'Great White Shark' seeds from another brand (Rare Earth Seed Company) and got a total 0% success rate, so bonus points for CKS stuff working out on the first try. I've contacted support at Rare Earth as of yesterday to see if they are willing to send me a replacement or not. I bought those particular seeds at a local retailer so we'll see how they respond I guess.

Anyways, the CKS strains I planted are just over a week old now and doing pretty well overall. One of the PK seedlings came up fairly yellow with super thin leaves, but it seems to be gaining color/health. Also one of the DA seedlings came up with only 1 leaf on it's first fold rather than 2. Doesn't seem to affect it's growth, but interesting, these little mutations.

I've done ample reading and acquired some basic/decent lights to start out with (Mars Hydro LED 250w and a couple 250w CFL's also) so I feel prepared to take this on. I'm raising these in a little 2'x2'x4' tent that I'm keeping in my closet for now. I think once the plants are bigger though I'll probably have to take them out and just use the closet as a space as they won't all fit in there when put into some bigger pots.

I don't plan to veg for very long with these guys, my Death Bubba plants are 30 days ahead and looking pretty happy, I FIM'd them when they got to the 6th node and they are just starting to show some signs of pre-flower so soon I'll hopefully get to see their sex. I wanted to give the new plants 2-3 weeks to get going and then go straight to 12-12 light to start budding. Reasons are multi-faceted but they include my schedule over the summer and on limited time I wanted to get a little more yield if possible. My solution was growing a few more plants.

I'll get some pictures up at some point. I've perused around these forums at other growers who have tried these strains, but I'm open to any suggestions anyone here might feel compelled to give.

One thing I am still looking for a good solution for - Any tips for managing odor on a project like this? My hindsight is telling me I just got too small of a tent.. I could hook up a 6" fan/CO2 scrubber system in there but space is tight, and as I mentioned I will likely have to just use the whole closet to grow. In this case, I won't have a tight air sealed place where negative air pressure will really be possible. Does this pretty much eliminate my options outside of neutralizers like Ona Gels, etc...?

[Day 31 veg for DB plants in back, others between 8-10 days]
34s2i9u.jpg

Only way if you are really worried about smell is to use a carbon filter setup. You need good ventilation regardless of your setup so somehow incorporate the carbon filter.

I use a whole room in my basement exhausting to the outside with no filter connected right now. I can smell them (though might be my neighbors) occasionally in my back yard but I don't have to worry about smell anymore. Except in the house for the wife, hahaha!

Only way if you are really worried about smell is to use a carbon filter setup. You need good ventilation regardless of your setup so somehow incorporate the carbon filter.

I use a whole room in my basement exhausting to the outside with no filter connected right now. I can smell them (though might be my neighbors) occasionally in my back yard but I don't have to worry about smell anymore. Except in the house for the wife, hahaha!

Any educated/experienced guesses as to what degree of effectiveness (or lack thereof) a carbon filter setup might be on a space that isn't air tight? i.e if I had to just use closet space open air, sans-tent.

My understanding of moving air through a system like this requires clean air to pull from to replace the filtered and exhausted air being taken out. If I were to leave the confines of the grow tent I'm guessing my only option would be to pull air from either outside or another room somehow for it to really work at all?

How is your ventilation setup now?

You won't smell anything when you run it through the carbon filter. Lots of different ways to set it up. I pull air through my carbon filter that then passes through my cool tubes and straight outside.

That tent is going to get crowded very fast!

How is your ventilation setup now?

You won't smell anything when you run it through the carbon filter. Lots of different ways to set it up. I pull air through my carbon filter that then passes through my cool tubes and straight outside.

That tent is going to get crowded very fast!

I have an 8-10" clip on fan hanging out in the top corner of the tent moving air around in there, no ducting or anything like that - I'm just leaving the ducting holes in tent open to exchange air with its surroundings right now. The room containing the closet's got its own fan moving on the ceiling and I leave a window open during the day while it's warm enough (I'm in Canada, still getting cool nights).

So, air is moving, but not necessarily being directed in any particular direction.. would this cause me issues down the road if left unchanged?

Would be curious on anyone's insight on whether Air Ionizers (which seem to do good work on cigarette and other smells like pollen and pets) are any use to control smell in rooms adjacent to the grow room?

You have to get a real ventilation setup or you will not get great results.

My first setup was a 3x3 tent, 600w HID, 6" cool tube and 6" 480cfm in line fan with a speed controller that vents directly outside. Air was passively sucked from the rest of the house.

LED's run much cooler but you want to be exchanging that air in that space pretty frequently and scrubbing the exhaust to get rid of the smell.

There is no 100% way to clean the air efficiently other than a carbon filter.

Just blowing air around will never be enough these plants need fresh air!!

It was a fairly cheap setup but the results were fantastic in that little 3x3, this is only 8 plants in the picture!

20160706_180806.jpg

You have to get a real ventilation setup or you will not get great results.

My first setup was a 3x3 tent, 600w HID, 6" cool tube and 6" 480cfm in line fan with a speed controller that vents directly outside. Air was passively sucked from the rest of the house.

LED's run much cooler but you want to be exchanging that air in that space pretty frequently and scrubbing the exhaust to get rid of the smell.

There is no 100% way to clean the air efficiently other than a carbon filter.

Just blowing air around will never be enough these plants need fresh air!!

It was a fairly cheap setup but the results were fantastic in that little 3x3, this is only 8 plants in the picture!

Alright, thanks for your insight.

I'm thinking to give these gals a breathing chance my ideal option will probably be to get a tent with a little more space to accommodate both the plants and some air circulation items.

Okay, so I've got an inline exhaust fan and co2 filter on the way as well as a slightly bigger grow tent on the way to help with air circulation/odor as well as space.

In the meantime, I've started some LST with the DB plants (1 of which is revealing to be fem i believe). All the seedlings seem to be coming up pretty healthy still.

apr02db1ls69c0.jpg
apr02db2ls4961.jpg

Back
Top Bottom