How long to leave seedlings in humidity dome?

Viracocha711

...I am wondering how long are you suppose to leave a seedling in a humidity dome once the seed has germinated? Plus, if I were using General Hydroponics 3 part series is there a formula for a very mild mix to use while germinating seeds, or really for watering young seedlings while they are in the humidity dome once the seed has germinated? I read on the bottle that 1/4tsp/gal of each micro/gro/bloom can be used, but I know this would probably be way to strong having used GH 3 part for growing herbs in my little kitchen herb garden and I do not want to risk frying my little girlies...

So, I would like to hear from those who use humidity domes for propagation and how long they leave seedlings in the humidity dome, whether they use a mild nute sol or just reg water, and if they use a mild sol what type?

Thank you all!

Humidity domes simply keep the medium from drying too quickly when you are using heat mats to aid germination. Heat mats are designed to raise the temperature 10-15 degrees F. above room temperature (to around 80 degrees) and this aids in germination and root developement. Humidity is not so much a factor in germination as root zone temperature is.

Be cautious when using a humidity dome because the medium can also become too wet which will actually slow root growth from lack of oxygen or create fungal problems. In my opinion, humidity domes and heat mats are really only useful for cuttings because they have no intention of forming roots and you must make every effort to force them to create them via rooting hormones, heat mats, humidity domes, etc. The tap root of a seed on the other hand intends to form roots and will even without the aid of a humidity dome.

Once the seedlings have there true leaves (first set of 1 finger leaves above the cotyledons) then remove the humidity dome.

Thanks! I am not using a heat mat and I have had great success so far in terms of seeds germinating I was just curious as to when I should remove the humidity dome and you answered that.

Another question, did you say to wait until the seedling is a week old before using a mild nute solution?

Thank you very much for your help!

I have had bad experiences with using the domes. I used the cup of water paper towel method,all was just fine it grew a tap root. I then used root riot cubes and put them in a dome. I sprayed the dome and sealed it and put the light 8 inches from the soil and went to work. I have a temp/humid gauge and when i came home the temp inside was 107 and that was on the first day. I didnt even have a heat mat underneath.
1..The cube tray has the 1 inch squared
2- The dome is a high dome with 2 adjustable holes up top
3- The light is a 4 bulb light designed ( so it says ) to grow from a seed after the seed gets a tap root.

Under the advise of my local hydroponics shop i did what they told me and i felt something was wrong when i came home.
This was my second attempt and i know i did something wrong even by following the advise of the experts per say.

So it comes down to this. Can i skip the dome since im in a grow tent but the humidity would be an issue in a large space its 7 feet x 4 feet wide i have 2 sets of light 2 different lights a t6 and a t4 i believe. I used clonex seed and clone nutrient solution in a gallon i ph set the water to a 5.5 ph. Nothing servived both times the taproots didnt servive.

I use the paper towel method. Once germinated I drop them into Rapid Rooters in Dixie cups with plastic bottle tops as domes.
I put that combo under a 60 watt bulb . I've had great success with this method, and I've used to to start all my plants, not just weed.

The thing i was asking is ...
1 Do i need a heat mat
2 Do i need or have to use a dome no matter the makeshift design
3 How much light do i have to have if its a 4 bulb seedling light because 4 seams to much and do i leave it on 24/7
4 If its a grow tent and its sealed do i have to use the dome ? i mean it does not need humidity in the start from what i have read it seams it only needs it when its a stalk ?

I have scanned the posts on this site and read magazines but you know its all hands on and trial and error but the errors are getting costly..I am not an amateur at growing things i have 20 plus years, im a landscaper and grower or veggies and herbs but this is a whole new ball game to me to be honest and i never grew inside either. I use gloves when touching seeds or anything. I have the get them to tap root down pat but its the rest thats not doing what it needs to do ... Thank you

you dont need domes or humidity for germing seeds. that for clones. take seed, put in damp not soaking folded papertowel. put in plastic bag. set in dark warm place and leave it alone for 5 to 10 days. then transplant into medium.

you dont need domes or humidity for germing seeds. that for clones. take seed, put in damp not soaking folded papertowel. put in plastic bag. set in dark warm place and leave it alone for 5 to 10 days. then transplant into medium.

Where do you get that ? Humidity domes or propagation stations are for germinating seeds.
The reason for them is to get things going faster. If you're using the paper towel method, you need to check your seeds at least every other day, if not every day until they germinate. Once that happens you need to plant them. Waiting too long can cause problems.

And to answer the OP's post, no you do not need domes.

Domes are only used for keeping the medium moist if using a heating mat. And yes seeds need to be checked but in my experience it's usually between 5-10 days. Domes are mainly for clones as the plants need to get moisture from the air having no roots.

I just did my 1st clone, and did not use a dome for them.
From clone to transplant it was a total of 10 days.
At the same time I germinated two Iced Grapefruit seeds using the paper towel method.
2 days from start until planting {using dome } two more days and they sprouted.

That's cool. I live in a low humidity area. So domes make the difference with clones. Also I misunderstood. Domes make seeds sprout sooner. Never needed seeds to hurry up so never had that problem. I'm a minimalist when it comes to equipment. If I'm in a rush to produce I'll go clones. When I do seeds all I'm concerned about is that they sprout. But hey learn something new every day. Cheers

Off-topic post...Dude I love your sig. line Right On!
@RooRman
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum- "If You Seek Peace, Prepare For War."

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Humidity domes simply keep the medium from drying too quickly when you are using heat mats to aid germination. Heat mats are designed to raise the temperature 10-15 degrees F. above room temperature (to around 80 degrees) and this aids in germination and root developement. Humidity is not so much a factor in germination as root zone temperature is.

Be cautious when using a humidity dome because the medium can also become too wet which will actually slow root growth from lack of oxygen or create fungal problems. In my opinion, humidity domes and heat mats are really only useful for cuttings because they have no intention of forming roots and you must make every effort to force them to create them via rooting hormones, heat mats, humidity domes, etc. The tap root of a seed on the other hand intends to form roots and will even without the aid of a humidity dome.

Once the seedlings have there true leaves (first set of 1 finger leaves above the cotyledons) then remove the humidity dome.
Thank you for this info. It was precisely what I was looking for. Very well explained

Domes are only used for keeping the medium moist if using a heating mat. And yes seeds need to be checked but in my experience it's usually between 5-10 days. Domes are mainly for clones as the plants need to get moisture from the air having no roots.
You are way out of bounds with your commentary. Seeds could germinate much quicker than 5-10 days. There are many factors involved like age of seed, ambient temperature, etc....

You are way out of bounds with your commentary. Seeds could germinate much quicker than 5-10 days. There are many factors involved like age of seed, ambient temperature, etc....
You may be talking to the wind, that person hasn’t posted in six years. (Been there done that, got the t-shirt). I agree normally seeds germinate faster than that, particularly if assisted, cubes, paper towels, heating, etc. 5-10 days is in the ballpark for outdoor soil germination.

I have had bad experiences with using the domes. I used the cup of water paper towel method,all was just fine it grew a tap root. I then used root riot cubes and put them in a dome. I sprayed the dome and sealed it and put the light 8 inches from the soil and went to work. I have a temp/humid gauge and when i came home the temp inside was 107 and that was on the first day. I didnt even have a heat mat underneath.
3- The light is a 4 bulb light designed ( so it says ) to grow from a seed after the seed gets a tap root.

Under the advise of my local hydroponics shop i did what they told me and i felt something was wrong when i came home.
This was my second attempt and i know i did something wrong even by following the advise of the experts per say.

So it comes down to this. Can i skip the dome since im in a grow tent but the humidity would be an issue in a large space its 7 feet x 4 feet wide i have 2 sets of light 2 different lights a t6 and a t4 i believe. I used clonex seed and clone nutrient solution in a gallon i ph set the water to a 5.5 ph. Nothing servived both times the taproots didnt servive.
Your plant/seedling got cooked you said you had your light 8 inches above you need to measure 12 inches from the top of the inside of the tray with the dome off your light should be a t5 6bulb 12 inches above your tray then put your dome on if your home gets hot inside make sure u have cool air blowing around you need to make sure the dome stays 75 degrees inside at all times you may need to blow a fan at your light set up but your light has to be 12 inches away otherwise they won't be getting any energy to grow if it's any closer then that your plant's/seedlings will be cooked

Your plant/seedling got cooked you said you had your light 8 inches above you need to measure 12 inches from the top of the inside of the tray with the dome off your light should be a t5 6bulb 12 inches above your tray then put your dome on if your home gets hot inside make sure u have cool air blowing around you need to make sure the dome stays 75 degrees inside at all times you may need to blow a fan at your light set up but your light has to be 12 inches away otherwise they won't be getting any energy to grow if it's any closer then that your plant's/seedlings will be cooked
7 year old post. The op posted twice and hasn't been heard from since 2016. Not only that, domes are for clones, with seedlings domes are an open invitation to "damping off".

I soak my cubes in a mild gh solution ph 5.7 for a bit n then pop the seed in the tray w a dome. T5 light right on top.14 to 16 hr lighting. Take the dome off when they pop up.
I used to use the clonex solution .
i was just use to it. Im a clone tech. But its just extra bull. No need. Make a baby solution . yull thank me.

Back
Top Bottom