Old Seeds

FreakNature

I have some ~20 year old seeds from various unknown strains. They weren't stored very well, but many look like they have great potential. I cracked some with my fingernail and although some were purely dry and crispy inside, others still seem to have some moisture and life left in the old germ. I want to try germinating some. I'll follow all of the basic steps (soak overnight, wet paper towel in baggie in warm area).

Has anyone here had any success sprouting such old seeds? If so, what technique worked?

On a side note, I found a little piece of stem (1/8" long) and crushed it to do smell test. Immediately smell memory kicked in - I remember the unique smell as if it was yesterday.

I also found a seed in the bag that had a red pistil still attached to the end.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you! :peace:

I have been told of people sprouting seeds close to that age with basic germination techniques, but they were sealed in a dark, dry , cool place. I personally have germinated seeds that were six years old with success(only a fraction of the ones you behold). its always fun to play with strains from the old days! Good Luck!!!!

I'd like to know if it works. I had very little luck with seeds less than even a year old without proper storage.

I think I'll take half of them and soak them for 2 nights in water with Superthrive and MaxiCrop (just to get them really hydrated) and see how it goes from there.

Some of these seeds may be from Thai Sticks...but that would make them 30 years old and I don't hold much hope for that!

Thanks for the input! :peace:

Agapeti - I deleted the mail notice that said you replied to this post...and I didn't read completely what you responded with...and I was interested...so what's up? You sprouted some seeds in pots...but that's as far as I got. Were the seeds a few years old or???

Wow - excellent job saving those seeds!! You were really thinking ahead. I was dreaming about huge seeds last night.

Wow, I had no idea!:thedoubletake: I have some seed from about 12 years ago from an outdoor grow of mine ( a couple males got loose before I could stop them...) that put a heavy smoking friend of mine in a self desribed THC coma. I've saved them sealed in a dark and dry place, so maybe I'll give them a try. I always figured a few years max, but I'm going to be long term storing any thing good that comes along from now on! I'll post if I have any success.

Peace:bong:

This is good advice. I found seeds with holes and tiny bug poop debris in my old seed stock.

Back
Top Bottom