Show signs of sex in vegetative cycle?

estranged

can plants show signs of sex in veg cycle?
this plant is 31 days old on 24 hrs light,,
are these signs of sex?
sorry bout pics is best i can do with 5mp camera and cheap magnifier,,
rsz_picture_048.jpg

rsz_picture_049.jpg

rsz_1picture_0502.jpg

looks like little pods there with couple hairs coming out don't it?
that mean male,,cause of pods,, or female cause of hairs,, or nothing just there on all plants,,??

Re: show signs of sex in vegetative cycle??

Yes sir looks like female pre flowers to me. Once a vegging plants reaches sexual maturity it can show early signs of sex. In your case you have female pre-flowers. Congrats. Dont go chopping down all the ones that dont have them. Put them in 12/12 first and make sure you know what sex you have.

yay! my best plant a female!!
so does this mean i have to flower them soon??
i wanna veg a while longer ,, only 7 inches tall,,
i actually was thinking of keeping this one a mother plant,,
can i not do that now,, will it just start flowering now,, or just showing sex but won't flower and will still stay in veg,,

oh ya also if some other ones show signs of males do i have to worry about them pollinating the females whilst still in vegeation??

unless its an autoflowering strain, no it will not flower until you switch the light schedule over to 12/12.

You can continue to veg or put into flower whenever you are ready. She just has pubes thats all ;)

Its always good to get the ladies, congrats bro

haha pubes, ok good cuz i was wondering the same thing, i was seeing white pistils on my PPP clones about 1 month after they rooted and then they just kinda withered up and died, now they are showing again. Its kinda weird but glad to know its not anything serious, im going to switch the light schedule soon just in case. if it is showing early signs of sex could it be caused by stress?

nope, preflowering just happens, i'v found the ones that show before 12/12 typically flower sooner once flipped, and (might be coincidence) weigh a little heavier.

its not from stress, and it doesnt mean you have to flower it right away. just means its a girl.

i veg long enough that i almost always see preflowers before flipping.

I just had to remove the larger of two plants that were 28 days into veg. Beautiful healthy lush plants growing like crazy but I finally saw male pre flowers on the bigger one today. Hard to see but once I put the 10X magnifier on them I could clearly see the little "spades" on stems starting to pop out. Disappointing but I guess I should have expected at least one of the two plants to be male. It's my first hydro grow & is just bag seed but you always hope that you "luck out" and get two females.

The good news though is that it looks like the remaining plant is a female. What pre flowers I can see with the 10X don't have stems nor are they spade shaped. No pistils yet but definitely a different shape. Since these two plants were in a 5 gal DWC bucket and the big male was growing into the smaller (ostensibly female) plant, I'll let this one veg for another week or two to fill out further (fill in the space where the bigger male was crowding it) and make sure it's a female once I can see the pre flowers better.

P3030003.JPG

What a shame after putting all of that time, light, and nutrients into that big lush plant, but then it's certainly better that I ID'd it & got it out.

Hey StonerJ, did you pinch, Fim or top him? nice and bushy!

Actually, none of the above. That's just how they grew. They're under a 400W MH and I think because I kept them close (within inches) that they really bushed up. Only the one on the left is still there. The bigger one was a male, saw those "spades" popping out in 3 places 2 days ago so it's gone now.

The smaller one is a female for sure. I've seen 2 female pre flowers on it within then past two days and now that it's not competing for space with the big male, it's taking off. I started to LST it two days ago too fill in on the empty side (where the male was crowding it) and it's training very nicely. I think I'll be able to take the tie downs off today.

Here are some pics of the remaining female on the day I chopped & removed the big male.

This is the empty side of the plant that was overgrown by the big male.
P3060006.JPG

The same plant from the full side.
P3060013.JPG

Then with the arrow showing the female pre flower.
P3060010.JPG

The last one with the pre flower is kind of tough to see. It actually came out great on my screen so I'm surprised how it did not when I uploaded it.

But hey, I've got one female out of two plants in my first hydro grow so I'm really pleased. One more week of veg and then I'll start flowering. Undecided though whether to change to the 400W HPS or the Phillips Mastercolor CMH. The CMH seems to have all of the red spectrum I need plus some blue and it may help me keep the stretch down & keep this girl bushy.

:thumb:

shes looking really healthy! Just make sure when you switch to 12/12 you keep an eye on the sex.. I had this happen to a few bagseeds I grew out a couple of years ago, but I got 100% female preflowers, and even started producing buds, but about 2 weeks into flower, the female flowers stopped and it just threw male flowers everywhere.

this is most likely because the strain was bagseed and unstable, but it's still something to consider on every seed run since you don't know how that initial seed grows

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open. Going to veg it for at least another week. Put the CMH bulb in yesterday morning so when I flower it, I'll keep it in the dark for about 36 hrs, change to bloom nute soup, and fire up the light again at on 12/12. Hopefully she'll stay female. Since she's the only plant I have going now I'd like to veg it longer and get her bigger before flowering to try to increase my bud sites.

I've been doing some LST on her to fill in the empty side since pulling the male 4 days ago. Whenever the top of the bucket is getting light I like to keep some white poly under the plant. Once the bucket top is in the shade of the plant, I remove the plastic. The tops are currently 1 foot below the light.

Here is a pic from today. She's filling in nicely.
P3100007.JPG

:thumb:

From about 10 minutes ago.... what a gorgeous girl! Day 42 since germination, day 28 of veg. I'm going to keep her veggin' for a while longer yet. In just 5 days, she really filled in the empty side where the big male was crowding her. She's 12" tall and the top is 6" from the light (400W CMH). Guess i should just start a grow journal.....
P31100021.JPG

I agree with nibec on the point he stated about once they show preflowers under veg they flip quicker...I believe it's due to the fact that they are fully matured and are ready to reproduce for their species... I'm a firm believer of letting a plant fully mature...if you spending money for months lighting it, feeding it, taking the risk for it (even in legal states there's still risk as it's still ILLEGAL FEDERALLY) why rush it and not get the best it could be? Once mature it gives you the chance to push it to it's full potential as long as your enviro is up to par you could get everything that plant has to offer including but not limited to large yield and high quality bud...but that's my .02...

Back
Top Bottom