Spider Mites and Garlic

Eeko

First time poster but I've been reading on here for months.

So...spider mites have been giving me a headache for weeks, maybe even a month or so. I'm almost positive (looking back) that I had them mid summer but mistakenly thought the spots were PM so I used Safergro Mildew cure (30%cottonsead oil, 30%cornoil,23% garlic oil and 17% other stuff). Anyway, the safergro stuff cleared the issue up....then. For the past few weeks I've been using Neem oil that I bought at Lowes and it will only knock them down for a couple of days at best. Lol@ once a week, 3-4 times a week with 20+ dead fan leaves over 3 infected plants.

So, I don't really want Neem oil on my plant in the late stages cause it stinks and after reading here about garlic, would it be ok to use the safergro garlic stuff to keep them away? As a safeguard I also ordered ladybugs and plan to order them once a week or so until my harvest is done. Don't really have time to mess around with planting garlic as I can't afford to have anymore damage done.

Mods- feel free to edit out the brand name if they are not a sponsor, my only reason for mentioning it is to show the ingredients and in case someone else uses it.

Also, since I really don't want stuff messing up my batch of meds, is there any harm in letting the mites do their thing in the final week or two? Reading here and elsewhere, I can't find anything about them harming a drying/curing product.

Thanks but looking at the link that stuff can burn the buds and I can't think of a way of coating an entire plants without getting some on the buds.

I dunno but after months of hard work I don't want to test it....

That garlic stuff I used to be working even though it's only been 2 days. 1500 lady bugs arriving Thursday, on one hand I hope they find nothing to eat and on the other hand I would like to witness them killing those f-ing mites.

Just released 100-300 lady bugs an hour ago and they are working like someone feed them speeeeed! Other than them getting all over me (up my pants and down my shirt) they are workers! Reading the info that came with them leads me to believe that I can release the 1500 over several days in case they fly away or whatever. Heck, even if I have to spend $25 once a week for the next 3 weeks to protect my harvest it's much cheaper than risking a loss.

Time to dig out my macro lens and snap some images if they will stand still for a fraction of a second!

Thanks but looking at the link that stuff can burn the buds and I can't think of a way of coating an entire plants without getting some on the buds.

Just about anything that will kill the bugs, will do some harm to the buds. Which is why we need to have the problem solved before we go into flowering. Of course, it not like we get to tell the darn bugs when to come in or notice them till it is too late.

I've had a bad infestation of spider mites. Tried using my home made garlic and tobacco spray that worked great for thrips, but didn't even phase the mites. SNS 217 worked for me, though I had to spray three times, three days apart to get them knocked down. Still had them by the end of harvest, but I was able to keep them running scared.

What ever you use to rid the infestation, just spraying the plants most likely will not clear it. You need to clean everything in the grow area. Also make sure you are not bringing them in from outside (do yard work, then into grow room).

Good luck, hope you find something that works.

An update:

It's almost a week later and I have no mites! Every day or so I release some more lady bugs from the bag they came in and they wonder around the plants until they figure there is nothing to eat and they fly away. My plants once again have their nice odor and that nasty neem oil smell is gone.

Forget garlic, get yourself some Dr. Schimmels! It's the best spider mite terminator I have ever used....one application and the job is done. :thumb:

Has any one ever used one of these

hotbox1.jpg

Hope this image comes up its called a Hot Box Burner Pest Control

Supposed to get rid of any and all spider mite 70GBP

Eliminates Airborne bacteria and pests such as spider mite.

Hang the Hotbox sulfume at least 1mtr below the ceiling to ensure the tunnel effect.

Half fill the cup with Sulphur to the marker inside

If an infestation is already present, we recommend you use

the cup. Overfilling will cause the unit not to work correctly

as the self regulating element will not be able to melt a

larger amount of sulphur.

Either rock Sulphur, powder or flowers of Sulphur can be used.

Rock Sulphur tends to evaporate more easily.

Ensure the unit is hanging straight and the cup sits firmly on

the heating element.

The Hotbox Sulfume vaporises less than 1 gram per hour,

half a cup will hold approx. 150 grams of Sulphur. Therefore,

half a cup of Sulphur will last in excess of 150 hours.

One Hotbox Sulfume will cover an area of up to 100m².

The Sulphur will melt and at 119oc it will begin to evaporate.

The Hotbox Sulfume increases its output of vapour as the

temperature increases.

The Hotbox Sulfume is designed to operate at between 119oc

and 159oc at which it will produce maximum volumes of

‘safe’ Sulphur.

No oxides will be released into the atmosphere and the pure

the Hotbox Suflume for up to 12 hours per night

(close all vents) until the infestation has been cured.

If you are using the Hotbox Sulfume for preventitive

measures, we recommend usage for 4 - 6 hours per night,

2 or 3 times per week.

This temperature regulation is automatic and will remain so

even if there are major voltage fluctuations.

Effective and safe vapourisation of Sulphur is a complex subject.

It is most important to vapourise Sulphur at the correct temperature.

Sulphur is totally harmless to man or plant, although the hotbox sulfume will release an egg like smell which will quickly evaporate once vents and doors have been opened.

Crikey, thats a complex business, init? Just get yourself some Dr. Schimmels and with one spray, the job's done!! It's quite new, not all the shops carry it yet, but its been used in Europe for years, so is good.

Has any one ever used one of these

hotbox1.jpg

Hope this image comes up its called a Hot Box Burner Pest Control

Supposed to get rid of any and all spider mite 70GBP

Good info GS! +rep for you!

I have a sulfur burner, but never considered it for pest control.

DD

Hey eeko- where did you get the ladybugs from?
Just wondering just in case I get attacked .
Really great info on here

I forget, I ordered them online and they arrived in a couple of days. I called around and some retail garden shops had them in stock. You can keep them in the refrig and it sort of slows them down, at some point you do need to water and feed them.

Back
Top Bottom