Curling, Yellowing

Strngxndr

i have a 240w led light going 12/12. i use a dwc bucket with a power head, air pump, and heater. Nutes i use are 3 part GH solution, superthrive, and hygrozyme. i keep room at 79f generally. i do not know the strain.
now the problem,
IMG_20120202_214701.png

largest of my worries is the yellowing of the older leaves and the very undersized new growth closer to the base of the plant, which has taken on a few tinges of yellow as well.
next problem was consistent with my last grow,
IMG_20120204_132941.png

curled/cupped leaves. whats all that? you cant see very well but almost 90% of the leaves on my plant have a brown/black, dead tip. also consistent with the last grow.
IMG_20120204_132848.png

any ideas?

floragro 2-1-6, florabloom 0-5-4 and, floramicro 5-0-1. 2gal reservoir with 1.5gal of RO water. i recently switched, as per the program on the back of the bottles of nutes, but 1/2 strength from "transition to bloom" (gro 1tsp, bloom 1tsp, micro 1tsp) to "flowering and ripening" (gro 1/2tsp, bloom 1tsp, micro 1 1/2tsp). i feed every 2nd day. 1 tsp of hygrozyme with every feeding and another 1tsp of superthrive when i replace water weekly.
setup and environment is an unplugged fridge in a garage with 4 computer fans on the sides. the fans are connected to a thermostat to keep the box at 79f. at night it goes down to 70f. other than that theres not much else to describe.

ph?
res temp?
how do your roots look?
how often do you clean your res?
Tap water? or RO? or?
when mixing the nutes , what order do you add them to the res?

why constant 79? i think you should let them run 24/7, if it only drops to 70 at night, then you dont need to have the fans shutting off, at all. night or day. the more circulation the better

anyways, looks like a micro nutrient problem to me. which tells me its probably PH, and possibly lacking a little nitrogen.

i problem i also had with GH flora 3 part, is calcium/magnesium deficiencies...
i'd add a little calmax, or calmag, (whatever a store near you carries for calcium and mag.. brand name doesnt matter too much)

if you could get some pics of the curling and such without your LED on as well that would be awesome.

unknown. i use RO so i dont usually worry about it.
72f res temp. sticker-thermometer on the side of the bucket.
slightly browned.. reservoir too hot?
nutes were mixed in the order that i listed them (gro bloom micro) mixed in a cup of water before being poured into the reservoir.
:
my thermostat has a program to control the intake and exhaust:
6am 78f
12noon 81f
4pm 78f
11pm-6am 71f

curling
IMG_20120207_175405-1.png
IMG_20120207_175455.png

that clawing looks like overwatering, but the fact your in hydro.. maybe not enough air being pumped into the water?

is there any slime in your roots? or does it just look tinged due to the micro?

personaly i would take a gallon of your nute water out, them mix more nutes into it and put it back.. not just a cup...

also, ALWAYS add your micro first, then grow and bloom. prevents binding of the micro nutrients. binding = bad

all in all, it most sounds like heat stress. whats the temp on your canopy?

also, i would get on checking the PH, im going to say about 80% of plants problems can be solved by fixing its PH

ive removed the heater from the reservoir for now, colder temp should raise the oxygen content.
no slime. when i empty old water there is little if any residue on the inside of the reservoir to clean (scrubbed/rinsed anyway).
ill pick up a ph kit in the next few days.
thanks for the tips! that makes a lot of sense.

cooler the res, the better off you are. just dont go below 60.

so all in all.

make sure temps arent too high (cant really see them being that bad with led)
try to get the temp of the res to 65 ish.
mix nutes with micro first
check/adjust ph.
** adding one more.. if there is no fan circulating air and making the leafs blow a little... add one

then give it a few days, and post how its going. i'd like to know :)

that clawing looks like overwatering, but the fact your in hydro.. maybe not enough air being pumped into the water?

is there any slime in your roots? or does it just look tinged due to the micro?

personaly i would take a gallon of your nute water out, them mix more nutes into it and put it back.. not just a cup...

also, ALWAYS add your micro first, then grow and bloom. prevents binding of the micro nutrients. binding = bad

all in all, it most sounds like heat stress. whats the temp on your canopy?

also, i would get on checking the PH, im going to say about 80% of plants problems can be solved by fixing its PH

Yeah that sounds about right, not over watering as that would be droopy not claws. I've had this problem. The claws are also really dark green. For me that was the start of an N tox. Too much veg food during flower. And as my floor was cold the water in my pots wasn't drying fast enough so the roots couldn't breathe properly.

I know yours is hydro, but maybe the oxygen to the roots is a problem like suggested and lower the N in the plant as they don't really need it in flower anyway.

One think I found was once my plant did that bud production slowed massively and the other plants with normal leaves took over fast!!!

But you also have yellow bottoms, usually N deff so its a mix up, but they don't look like N deff yellow to me. Maybe your PH is fluctuating which can also cause leaves to claw.

well the general yellowing has basically halted. healthy roots are shooting out of the pretty half-rotted all now that i took the water heater out, res is 70f.

seems theres one last problem to attend to though...
IMG_20120211_150701.jpg
IMG_20120211_150348.jpg

the saw edges are yellowing and dying. any ideas whats going on there?

Back
Top Bottom