What is this? Challenge

HotshotShorty

Take a look.
Very little seems to be written about this.
There is good argument that it is NOT Tobacco Mosaic Virus.
Too much light? heat, nutrient,? too much elevator music??
I will post the answer & link later.
How about you posting the answer first??:high-five:

:peace:

ScreenHunter_62_Jan_30_00_20.jpg

personally i would say its not enough potassium as that is how it starts out on your leaves then will start to turn to a brownish colour like it does with severe nitrogen deficincies.

coupled with salt build up as the edges of the leaf are turning up aswell.

I HOPE ITS NOT A VIRUS not much you can do really with a virus :Namaste:

Re: "What is this?" Challenge HERE IS THE ANSWER.

Order: Acari, Family: Tarsonemidae, Polyphagotarsonemus latus.

ALSO KNOWN AS BROAD MITES

The original author is not known to me.

Here is a mirror of the text:

This is a new problem to SoCal Growers as this is usually an issue up north. This problem started to hit the SoCal scene in late 2009 (all over the grow forums). Many can agree, that broad mites are a new issue now to be concerned about, but can easily be taken care of if treated the same as Spider Mites (or any kind of pest) and are easily passed down from one grower to the next.

We are adding a new digital microscope with screen at PO for any members to check their cuttings before taking them home. We want to make PO full proof, and make sure we examine for these "New" pests one can say that are starting to cause problems.

It seems there has been a huge issue going on with many growers in California which end up destroying crops and losing strains ( PLEASE KEEP IN MIND, ITS EASY TO DISMISS PLANT PROBLEMS AND SAY ITS BUGs, YOU MUST BE ABSOLUTELY SURE, BY LOOKING THROUGH A MICROSCOPE). There is a misconception that these damages such as, Yellowing Top, slow growth, stunted growth, curling, pale stem, blotches,pistils being destroyed, etc are being associated with TMV/CMV (Tobacco/Cucumber Mosaic Virus).

In fact, though the symptoms are similar, it is HIGHLY unlikely (THERE IS NO OFFICIAL PROOF THAT TMV EXISTS IN CANNABIS. ALL LAB TESTS CONFIRM NO TMV/CMV EXISTING IN CANNABIS), as if this was true, the entire cannabis community would definitely be feeling this. There hasn't been any SOLID evidence by anyone that these damages are strictly related to TMV (or other virus). Many Tests have been conducted by many growers with always TMV being ruled out.

These Broad Mites usually have a hard time colonizing in perfect cannabis growing environments, but once allowed, they will stay and not leave unless treated.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

If you are experiencing growth like this most likely your dealing with Broad Mites. These mites are extremely small, you CANNOT see them with the naked eye.

Many people have tested for TMV/CMV and always the tests come out negative for TMV virus.

Here is a picture to give an idea how small these things are. This is a White fly, and Broad Mites are on it.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 666x831.

Here is some information gathered about These mites, Broad Mites or cyclamen Mites.

(Order: Acari, Family: Tarsonemidae, Polyphagotarsonemus latus.

Tiny broad mite adult carrying an immature mite.
Description:
Adult: Adults are very tiny with the female body length of 0.2 to 0.3 mm and males about half the size of females. Adults are broadly oval and whitish to yellow-green but appear somewhat translucent except under extreme magnification. They have four pair of legs, with the front two pair widely separated from the posterior two pair. The last pair of legs appears threadlike.

Immature stages: The appearance of the egg is the key characteristic generally used to verify plant infestations by broad mites. The eggs are nearly transparent with the exception of rows of whitish circular projections that give the eggs a speckled appearance. The larval and pupal stages appear similar to the adults but are smaller. The larval stage has six legs and the pupal stage has eight legs.

Biology:
Life cycle: Adults move short distances by walking, but are dispersed long distances by wind or by attaching to and 'hitch-hiking' on winged insects such as aphids and whiteflies. Eggs are laid singly on the lower surface of young apical leaves and flowers. Average egg production is reported as 40 to 50 eggs per female. Eggs hatch is about two days and the larval and pupal development requires a total of 2 to 3 days. Adult males emerge first and will carry female pupae to younger tissues. Females emerge and generally mate immediately. Unmated females produce only males which may then mate with the female, assuring production of subsequent females. The entire life cycle requires about one week under favorable conditions and typically occurs in the youngest terminal growth. Broad mites are generally not found on fully opened leaves.

Seasonal distribution: Broad mites have a wide host range and can occur throughout the year in tropical climates. Reproduction does not occur below 13°C nor above 34 degrees. Temperatures of about 25°C and humid conditions are most favorable. Cold winters and hot, dry summers usually limit populations in Georgia. Rainy fall seasons provide optimal conditions for broad mites in south Georgia, and the greatest damage usually occurs at these times.

Scarring and russetting of pepper fruit caused by broad mite.
Damage to Crop:
Broad mite has a large host range including 60 families of plants (including Cannabis). Its vegetable hosts include beet, beans, cucumber, eggplant, pepper, potato and tomato. Damage is especially severe in bell pepper. Damage is caused by secretion of a plant growth regulator or toxin as the mite feeds, and significant damage can occur at very low pest density. Symptoms include leaf and fruit distortions, shortening of internodes, blistering, shriveling and curling of leaves, and leaf discoloration. Much of this can be easily confused with viral disease, micronutrient deficiency, or herbicide injury. Fruit may be deformed, split, or russeted. Infestations in pepper can cause a bronzing of terminal growth and are frequently associated with a characteristic 's'-shaped twisting of the main stem in leaves. Damage may appear for weeks after the mites have been controlled, and when combined with the difficulty in detecting mites, makes evaluation of control measures difficult and has likely led to reports of control failures.

Management:
The broad mite's minute size and ability to damage plants at very low densities generally results in plant injury serving as the first indication of an infestation. When damage is noted, terminals of symptomatic plants should be examined under magnification to verify the presence of broad mites. Damage will usually start in small clumps in a field and can spread rapidly. Some acaricides provide excellent control, but examination of plant terminals is necessary to evaluate control success, as damage can continue to appear for two weeks after successful control.

Generalized Summery:

Adult
The adults are white-yellow, about 0.2 mm long, and the male is extremely active.

Immature stages
Eggs laid on the underside of leaves are oval, translucent and covered with five or six rows of white tubercles.

Life history
The life cycle through egg, two nymphal stages, to adult takes between 6 to 9 days.

Distribution
Occurs in all papaya districts but is only a major problem in southern Queensland.

Host range
Broad mite is a serious pest of lemons, Hickson and Ellendale mandarins and occasionally grapefruit. Wide range of other hosts including papaya, capsicum and most nursery plants.

Management
Importance
Major and frequent, more often in autumn in southern Queensland. Minor and infrequent in northern Queensland.

Damage
Broad mite attacks the growing point and the underside of young leaves causing hardening and distortion. Broad mite damage is often confused with injury caused by hormone herbicides because in both cases the leaves become claw-like with prominent veins. Grey or bronze scar tissue between the veins on the underside of the leaves distinguishes mite from hormone damage. Broad mite infestation can sometimes be confirmed with a X 10 hand lens although they have often disappeared before the damage is noticed. The characteristic egg can be seen near the veins beneath the leaf as a translucent, flat oval with a stippling of white dots. The mite itself is flat but is less easily identified than its egg.

Control methods
Chemical
Apply 2 miticide sprays 10 to 14 days apart. Good coverage is essential. Affected plants usually recover and specific control measures are not normally required in northern districts.

I had that same leaf damage. It did not spread and the overall health was great so I just ignored it. Good info! It bugged the crap out of me at first!

the fellow at a local hydro shop said he lost some plants to this, but not sure what kind of plants.
he said his leaves were "tacoing"

I got a radioshack microscope, 100x but VERY hard to use. I could hardly see them, but they were there.

I bought a 200x USB microscope(camera) for less than $30 on eBay, so they will not be so invisible in a couple days.

I've found these mites on leaves with chlorosis and not bent.

Broad Mite

SARDI - South Australian Research and Development Institute - PIRSA

mirror-text-
Prepared by Gabriella Caon and Tony Burfield (SARDI Entomology 2006)

Broad Mite
Polyphagotarsonemus latus (Banks)
Tarsonemidae, ACARINA
Description and life cycle
The egg stage is the most easily identified microscopically, they are clear,
oval shaped with the surface covered in white pimples or tubercles making
a spotted pattern. They are usually found in the growing tips on the
underside of newly formed leaves and under the calyx of flowers and fruit
or in protected depressions. The life cycle through egg, two nymphal
stages to adult takes between 4 to 10 days depending on temperature, with
up to 20-30 generations a year if conditions are favourable. Adults are
oval, tapering slightly toward the rear end. Females are very small approx 0.3mm long, barely visible
without magnification, males are slightly smaller, they are both transparent to yellowish green in colour,
stationary when feeding, moving slowly when disturbed, the nymphal stages resemble the adults. Adult
broad mite only live from 5 to 13 days the female broad mites laying 30 to 76 eggs over this period.
Crops attacked and problems caused
Broad mite is a major pest in the warmer parts of Australia and favours capsicum plants. It is a minor pest in
temperate Australia but will cause severe damage when conditions are favourable. Broad mite usually
attacks the young growth of a wide variety of vegetable crop plants especially capsicums or peppers and
many ornamentals by injecting a toxin from their saliva as they feed so that a few mites can cause a lot of
damage. It has been known for many years as a pest in glasshouses and of summer grown vegetables and
ornamentals. Mite damage is often reported when conditions are warm and humid. High humidity (80 to
90%) and temperatures above 25oC are favourable.
Feeding by the mite may cause leaves to bronze and thicken, become brittle, corky or cupped downward and
narrower than normal. Young stem growth may be distorted and stunted with young terminal buds so
distorted that flowers do not open; heavy feeding can cause young terminal buds to die and drop off.
Severely damaged plants could die. The symptoms of broad mite feeding are often confused with viral
symptoms or hormonal herbicide damage.
Be aware of early symptoms, with careful crop inspection so that action can be taken quickly. With effective
treatment to control the mites new plant growth is healthy with no long term damage unless an initial severe
infestation has seriously weakened the plants.
Reducing the threat of invasion and attack
Reduce the chance of pest invasions by managing potential sources of outbreaks by thoroughly
controlling/removing weeds and infested plants. DO NOT LEAVE OLD CROPS, ESPECIALLY IF THEY
ARE ALREADY INFESTED WITH PESTS THAT CAN COLONISE NEW CROPS.
Broad mites are so small (~0.3mm) that they are difficult to see even with a good hand lens but they tend to
crowd into crevices and buds. They can enter the crop undetected from nearby host pants or infected plant
material imported into the crop. Infected plants are usually not noticed until damage is severe and by this
time the mites could have moved onto other plants. Citrus is a very good host.
- Be aware of early symptoms, with careful crop inspection so that action can be taken early
- Avoid introducing infested plant material into the crop, either with seedling plants
- Avoid moved mites around the crop on staff moving from infested to clean areas.
- Use a fallow period, if possible, when no crop is grown to clear pest populations
- Use seedlings that have been grown away from infested areas, i.e. start with a clean crop
- Monitor pest levels to act early for control. Control is simpler and less expensive when plants are young
and spray coverage is not an issue.
Crop monitoring:
MAKE INSPECTIONS ROUTINE AND KEEP GOOD RECORDS !
These mites are too small for the naked eye to see, but changes in the growing tips of plants are a tell tale
sign:
- Get into the habit of walking right through your crops in a set pattern (a M or Z)
- Check about (about 1%) of your plants very carefully
- Look at the growing crown for signs of distortion and mottling (will not see feeding spots as for TSM).
Large numbers are not required for damage to be visible.
- Keep good records of pest levels and treatments used
Note:
- If you can spot isolated hot spots early you may only need to spray a small area!
- Plan to introduce biological control agents as soon as thrips are found
Chemical control
Chemical control of Broad mite is not difficult but problems are encountered because there are only a few
chemicals registered. Most registered chemicals do not kill the egg stage or have enough residual to kill
hatching larvae. Two applications should be used at about 5 days apart to kill all stages. The chlorinated
chemical dicofol and abamectin are the most effective.
Include a resistance management strategy into your spray program to reduce the chance of resistance. If
monitoring indicates the need to spray earlier, then insecticide resistance, inappropriate spray application
or inadequate farm hygiene should be suspected and expert advice sought.
Relevant beneficial insects
Natural enemies have been investigated and biological control programs using predaceous mites and plant
bugs have been investigated. Predatory mites are now available for use in greenhouses.
The predatory mite Neoseiulus cucumeris is now available in Australia at Biological Services at Loxton;
Home - Biological Services and Goodbugs; Good Bugs Home Page.
The suppliers on this page will help you develop an IPM program suitable for your crop and situation. Many
also provide IPM monitoring services.
Broad mites are also preyed upon by lacewing larvae, and other general predators. As with WFT you can
also boost the numbers of beneficial insects in your crop naturally by holding back on broad spectrum
insecticides, providing safe plant species as habitat near the crop and maintaining higher levels of organic
soil carbon.

Got some chlorosis going on.
It was thought to be a cal-mag issue.
I am finding these darn mites on these leaves to be much more extensive that previously realized..

SNS 217 is a great product for spider mites. I have used it and it works. I know these mites are different but it would never hurt to try.

There is a product by Bayer that is new and very effective.
1 ounce/gallon.
8 ounces = $250.00 at Amazon.
I need about 1/4 ounce..

I got this Ariser vaporizer , and it is set up with a bowl to put flowers & herbs in as a potpourri warmer.
So, I'm thinking.. nicotine atomizer.
I do not know if it could work, but I am going to find out if I can make it work.
I got some good ole Prince Albert and filled the bowl, set it to 390.

They make bug bombs nd no-pest strips... so it just might help.

When I do my plants for pest, I dip each branch into a solution of floramite, or whatever works.

The method is what saves me time and works, unlike spraying.

I fill a shallow but large tote with water and floramite mix. I dip each branch one by one into the solution, for about 5 seconds. (only in veg) After I have dipped every single branch, I then spray the top of the medium it is growing in, then the stem all the way up. If they are small enough, I just dip the whole damn plant.

The problem is that these are BROAD MITES.
a very difficult pest to control.
there is one mitacide by Bayer that works, but it is only sold in 8 ounce bottles.
I need about one ounce.
The 8 oz. on Amazon is $250 , that is too much product & too much money.

As long as you are taking care of problems before you go from veg to flower, the bayer rose garden pellets have a great impact on the mites and bugs. Its definitely not organic. that mitecide stuff is a bad actor though

They are in flowering-just barely.
(this is a continuation of a comedy/drama experience)

The product I was really wanting is "Bayer Forbid 4F Miticide - 8 oz"
I might breakdown & buy a bottle and take half and sell the rest on eBay.

I am anticipating the delivery of a 200x usb microscope. ($26)

Back
Top Bottom