Bud rot?

Newfli

Hi,

Just finished drying and curing for about 1-2 week now. I'm a bit worried and hope someone can give me their honest opinion no matter how bad it is.

But first let me give you some background on the mistakes I think I made during this first grow so you can better identify the problem, and if it turns out that this batch of medicine is gone, at least others could learn from it as well.

1. I went to late in to flowering and kept my seedlings in the germination trays to long. Humidity and temp was ok, but I gave them to little light and some of the seedlings grew really tall in this period - I assume trying to reach the light. Gave me some root and stem stability issues later on in the flowering.

2. These first 2-3 weeks of flowering I didn't have any fans running during dark period in my grow tent (night time). I dont know why I did that, but I thought that everything should be off during sleeping hours.

3. I didnt use oscillating fans, but I had i fairly powerful intake (engine) from my window hitting the tent wall (with fresh air) and then a small fan pointing up in the ceiling and not pointed directly on the plants. I thought this was enough to create airflow. Exhaust engine was working great, so no problem there.

4. I may have lacked nutrients, though I was running everything organic (in coco) I only used BioThrive for grow and bloom, but will throw in some root and bud plus next time.

5. I only used collected and filtered rain water (mixed with nutes) and always had a ph around 6, which i'm sure was good, so will do that next time as well. Only used PH down occasionally. As far as temperature and humidity I was pretty spot during the whole grow (except from the drying period which may be the whole cause to my problem - coming up below and thank you for reading this far)

6. Flowering period went pretty well I think, and following my schedule I was checking trichomes every day in the last stage, awaiting THC peak with slightly amber for CBD, but I know for sure now that I harvested to late, which also led me to flush to early, leaving pretty much all my plants (20) sucking up plain water for 3-4 weeks before I finally made my 'cuts' though trichomes hadn't reached to the level I wanted yet, I had to chop them because pretty much everything was turning yellow. Waterleaves, bud leaves, stems etc.

Though I know I made many mistakes during this grow, smell and looks was really nice up until then. After that I didn't really enjoy sticking my head into the tent - something was definitely not right, and started to get tint smell of a garbage bin. I suspect that the rot had already begun, maybe I was to late to identify it.

But I did what I could at this point. Harvested it quickly, and put it on mesh drying rack (didnt hang the plants first - will do that next time for sure) to avoid further mold or rot development, hoping to dry a little faster before curing.

Ok - to be honest - at this point it was not all that bad, smell was good after harvest, and buds looked pretty good on the outside, I still had hopes for some potent medicine though I knew it wouldn't be perfect.

ballsq2.jpg

m0.jpg

So moving on to mistake number 7, though I will for sure be drying in my tent again. But the humidity and air circulation was f* up. I tried to fix it, but I live in a very humid area, and of course the exact day I started drying, It was raining non-stop for 4 days. With some dehumidifying tools I managed to keep room humidity around 60%. Finished drying after 10 days, jared up my buds started the curing, and have been curing for almost 2 weeks now, burping them a few times per day.

But I think I have bud rot! Broke most of them apart yesterday, and checked them, because the smell from jars when burping was not what I expected. Still smells a little ammoniac and decomposing, but I don't think I can dry them further as the outsides was almost crumpling when starting the curing.

m130.jpg

m413.jpg

m321.jpg

m229.jpg

m130.jpg

Anyone, help and comments are greatly appreciated, but honest opinions and experiences only please, as I made this grow for a family member with terminal cancer, and I was suppose to make it into Rick Simpson Oil. A friend of mine (grower) told me that it was not that bad, and that he had seen a lot worse than this, but i don't want to use it if it's bad.

Thank you

Hi this is bud rot sorry to say
In my experience this bud rot isn't from the blooming stage.
It's from the drying stage.
Where the buds really dense and hard ?
I've found the denser the bud the longer the drying time
At least 2weeks in good conditions for any crop.
People say not to use rotted buds but I know many people that do with no ill affect
You might find this useful for further reference.
How To Cure Your Marijuana Crop

Hi zakey, yes the buds were mainly dense and hard, almost crumbling on the outside, thats why I only dried them for 9-10 days. But I already started to identify the rot at that time, and got even worse when I started curing. Some of the buds are even starting to turn brown now on the inside, and brown hairs turning purple/greyish, so there is maybe no reason to continue curing this one :(

I think if you noticed the rot starting while drying it's down to the drying conditions
High humidity low temps
I had the same problem with one of my recent harvests
rock solids buds perfect conditions i just didn't give it enough time to dry
On the outside everything looks good break it open and there's slight rot
I still smoke it but in your case if there's white/grey mold I woulnt touch it
I'll post you a few picks of mine

Hi this is bud rot sorry to say
In my experience this bud rot isn't from the blooming stage.
It's from the drying stage.
Where the buds really dense and hard ?
I've found the denser the bud the longer the drying time
At least 2weeks in good conditions for any crop.
People say not to use rotted buds but I know many people that do with no ill affect
You might find this useful for further reference.
How To Cure Your Marijuana Crop

Hi again, how should a proper dried and cured bud look on the inside?

I think if you noticed the rot starting while drying it's down to the drying conditions
High humidity low temps
I had the same problem with one of my recent harvests
rock solids buds perfect conditions i just didn't give it enough time to dry
On the outside everything looks good break it open and there's slight rot
I still smoke it but in your case if there's white/grey mold I woulnt touch it
I'll post you a few picks of mine

Thanks man, I would like to see (pics)

Here's a few these are some of the least affected
There was some that were worse but can't find them must have been smoked.
image30027.jpg
image30026.jpg
image30025.jpg

Thank you for showing the pictures. Yes, in my pictures they were probably a little wet as I was half way during the 2 weeks curing process, and moist evaporate from the inside out. Maybe I should just throw everything on the drying rack again for 24-48 hours and try to cure it again. But my gut feeling tells me that this harvest is gone unfortunately.

Hopefully you can salvage something
Make sure you've got lots of air flow and good temps
You shouldn't be able to see any moisture in jars when curing
If you can it's still to wet to cure

i hang plants for 2 days , then clip the buds and spread them out ... hanging for a week or two , IF you have those nice hard
nugs , can only invite mold .... get'em off the stem as soon as possible ... about 2 days is enough for the resin to dry enough
so that you don't gum up your clippers ... garce

I found 1 plant with bud rot , recently , but only at the very fine webbing stage at the stalk junctures ... i immediately took it , then
begain separating the dense nugs on a few other plants .. i think that i was a bit paranoid and believed that i saw the webbing on
all of them . I cut them all down and clipped the buds and further inspected .. I did have 2 plants that the mold had started to grow on ..
those parts were cut out and discarded ... all of the rest was put into a baking oven at 200 deg F . for 30 mins , then a week of
air drying ... everything seems to be okay ...
what i would take away from this , is when you do find infected plants , chop them down immediately , cut out the infected
areas and bake .. .that will prevent any further growth , but don't bag or jar them right away , just be sure ... garce

I found 1 plant with bud rot , recently , but only at the very fine webbing stage at the stalk junctures ... i immediately took it , then
begain separating the dense nugs on a few other plants .. i think that i was a bit paranoid and believed that i saw the webbing on
all of them . I cut them all down and clipped the buds and further inspected .. I did have 2 plants that the mold had started to grow on ..
those parts were cut out and discarded ... all of the rest was put into a baking oven at 200 deg F . for 30 mins , then a week of
air drying ... everything seems to be okay ...
what i would take away from this , is when you do find infected plants , chop them down immediately , cut out the infected
areas and bake .. .that will prevent any further growth , but don't bag or jar them right away , just be sure ... garce

Does baking really help? I have heard mixed things on the subject.

I had my first indoor grow with COB lighting. Definitely one of the most educating experiences of my life. Not posting to go over my grow log.

Let one plant stay in flower a few more weeks than the others for bigger nugz. Four of the nugz cured out over a quarter 8.15g, 8.45g, 9.1g, and 10.2g's. YEAH!!!

Today I decided to brake open my 9 gram nug (I am a giddy little girl meeting a Disney' Princess for the first time). Well, internal bud rot!!! The Disney' Princess turned out to be an evil Witch:( Anyway the good news is that it seemed to be only on the 8.45 and 9.1).

Maybe I will die, but I just smoked some and it tasted fine.

I wouldn't smoke or consume bud rot . Decarbing might help but I wouldn't trust it .

You are right. I am going to have a trusted friend take a look at it too make sure and if it fails his test it is going deep into a compost heap.

Still maybe look into on here search google see what's up ?

I wouldn't smoke or consume bud rot . Decarbing might help but I wouldn't trust it .

I discard the rot , smell the remainder , if it smells like ammonia , it goes to , i also do a visual , opening the buds ,
if there is no APPARENT rot , then into the oven , as most likely , the buds that appear okay have the spores that haven't
grown yet and the heat will kill them , but still have to keep dry ...
i've seen people grow outdoors , get some rot , cut it out , spread buds and still have something in the end .. indoors is easier to
control things and always maintain some airflow ... g

Back
Top Bottom