Nute Burn or Deficiency?

ChompskyGnome

I'm having trouble figuring out if my plant has a potassium deficiency, or some other kind of deficiency, or if it's getting burned. I didn't feed it for the first few weeks of veg but then the leaves started yellowing and growth stalled so I started feeding it according to Fox Farm's feeding schedule.
fox_soil_chart.jpg
The leaves stopped yellowing and growth started again and then some of the leaf tips started browning and crisping. So, I flushed and backed off of the nutes and then the yellowing came back on some of the new growth and the browning and crisping of the lower leaves continued. So, I'm confused.

The issues seem to be happening on the lower leaves of the plant. Upper growth does not seem to be having issues. Also, as you'll see in the photos, some of the stems are reddish.

Strain: Sensi Seeds Northern Lights #1 (Fem)
Soil: Fox Farm Ocean Forest
Nutes: Fox Farm Big Bloom and Grow Big
Light: 90 watt LED 12-inches from plant
Pot: Super Roots Air Pots
Watering PH: Appx 6.5
Avg. Cabinet Temp: 75
Avg. Cabinet Humidity: 50%

Here are the photos:

9497.jpg
8704.jpg
7839.jpg
61001.jpg
51142.jpg
41391.jpg
31795.jpg
16058.jpg

Possibly nute burn. Looks like maybe you got some nutrient solution on the leaves when you were watering. Maybe start your nutes at like 1/4 strength and work up from there.

I just watered, with a gallon of water - with 2 tbsp of Big Bloom and 1 tbsp of Grow Big and 1 tbsp of Black Strap Molasses - and my run-off PH is about 5 and my soil PH is about 7.14.

I just watered, with a gallon of water - with 2 tbsp of Big Bloom and 1 tbsp of Grow Big and 1 tbsp of Black Strap Molasses - and my run-off PH is about 5 and my soil PH is about 7.14.

Hot soil and you're adding more nutes already with plants that small. Burn baby burn!

I just re-read the beginning and you sure have odd symptoms. What kind of water are you using? Hard water adds a lot of mineral salts that won't nourish your plants but will contribute to burning as the toxic salts build up in the root zone then in the plants themselves.

It sucks to buy a soil rich in nutrients then have to flush them out. From what I've seen with a lot of FF users is problems with pH, burning etc. That stuff should be diluted 50/50 with soilless for young plants then used full strength with larger plants that are growing vigorously and getting near to flowering.

L8r

Hot soil and you're adding more nutes already with plants that small. Burn baby burn!

I just re-read the beginning and you sure have odd symptoms. What kind of water are you using? Hard water adds a lot of mineral salts that won't nourish your plants but will contribute to burning as the toxic salts build up in the root zone then in the plants themselves.

It sucks to buy a soil rich in nutrients then have to flush them out. From what I've seen with a lot of FF users is problems with pH, burning etc. That stuff should be diluted 50/50 with soilless for young plants then used full strength with larger plants that are growing vigorously and getting near to flowering.

L8r

I'm using tapwater with an 8.something PH. It's city water and I don't think it's hard.

I'd agree that it definitely looks like nute burn, especially having seen it in a previous grow using Ocean Forest and the Trio.

However, the confusing thing for me this time is that I followed some advice I found here and stayed off the nutes for the first couple weeks of veg and then the plant started stalling and yellowing. I was watering with plain water adjusted with PH DOWN to about 6.5 - this is the first time I ever watered with water adjusted with PH UP/DOWN.

So, I started on the Big Bloom and Grow Big and the plant went through a growth spurt and started getting green and the yellowing went away. Then after the second watering with nutrients things started going bad and some browning and yellowing started. So, I flushed with a ton of tap water. Then growing stalled again. So, the next time I watered I added some nutrients back at half-strength. The plant started growing again and some of the yellowing went away but the tips kept burning a little.

It's all very confusing and I didn't have near as much trouble during my previous 2 grows and I used the trio during the whole grow according Fox Farm's schedule along with Ocean Forest.

What's annoying is that my best grow was my first grow with White Widow X Big Bug and some shitty miracle grow soil amended with pearlite along with the Fox Farm trio. I am starting to think Ocean Forest is just total shit garbage that nukes plants and if that's the case they really need to figure something out over at Fox Farm and not tell you to use the trio at all with Ocean Forest until way into flower.

It seems like the only thing for me to do is flush again the next time it needs watered (for the third time) and see what happens and what the plant tells me.

I re-potted in a 3 gallon smart pot, filled with Ocean Forest with 3 tbsp of dolomite lime mixed in. I'm going to just water with plain water until she tells me otherwise and, We'll see how she fares now I guess.

The run-off from the first watering was 6.14.

I re-potted in a 3 gallon smart pot, filled with Ocean Forest with 3 tbsp of dolomite lime mixed in. I'm going to just water with plain water until she tells me otherwise and, We'll see how she fares now I guess.

The run-off from the first watering was 6.14.

Was just reading the feed schedule in your first post. It looks like the way to feed if you are using a hydro method or soilless media in your pots. That soil you are using should feed vegging plants most of the way just fine then add bloom nutes when you switch to flowering. I used some ProMix Vegetable and Herb stuff to veg plants pretty good with nothing but water and a couple CFL lights so that stuff should be better.

L8r

It looks like you have broad mites or russet mites The sooner you can knock them down thee better or they will suck their way to the top , probably are starving for nitrogen .

Was just reading the feed schedule in your first post. It looks like the way to feed if you are using a hydro method or soilless media in your pots. That soil you are using should feed vegging plants most of the way just fine then add bloom nutes when you switch to flowering. I used some ProMix Vegetable and Herb stuff to veg plants pretty good with nothing but water and a couple CFL lights so that stuff should be better.

L8r

Yeah their schedule doesn't seem to take into account that you're using rich soil but they say in the schedule that it's intended to be used with ocean forest, but all it does is burn everyone's plants.

I have burned a few up in my time by not paying attention and getting impatient, hard lesson learned for sure . I hope you can get these baby's healthy again .

By the way, you have your airpot put together wrong. If you look at the sides at the top and bottom you will see that there are a few rows of knobs that dont have air holes in them. Those rows with no holes belong at the top of the container and act as a reservoir.

By the way, you have your airpot put together wrong. If you look at the sides at the top and bottom you will see that there are a few rows of knobs that dont have air holes in them. Those rows with no holes belong at the top of the container and act as a reservoir.

Good catch! I'll remember this when I use it again. Thanks! :goodjob:

Wow, that looks like a bunch of issues intertwined together!

I use this as a baseline for plant issues visually since I'm still adjusting to the various combos of issues a plant might have.

image33259.jpg
image33258.jpg
image33257.jpg
image33256.jpg
image33260.jpg

Back
Top Bottom